Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Prototyping Vanagon Aero Wing
Page: 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Pingora
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 06, 2017 1:07 pm    Post subject: Prototyping Vanagon Aero Wing Reply with quote

Many of you may have run across this article detailing a design for a spoiler/wing that was designed by some PHD students using computational fluid dynamic models. I was intrigued, but couldn't find any examples of actual test articles built, or any pictures or details of one actually being built.

Being an Aeronautical Engineer (but not having access to that kind of high end modelling program, and also not specializing in programming) I liked the idea, and figured I'd test it out as best I could.

I tried to contact the originators of the design to get better data for sizing it, and learn which parameters were most important, but no luck. So I just started trying to size it from the vague picture and go from there.

I'll be posting some photos here of progress, and then test results. My hope is that it will at least help crosswind handling, and maybe also show some noticeable increase in MPG. The design makes sense to me, and I doubt it can hurt the aerodynamics anyway.

I will be covering it with heat shrink Dacron and then coating with epoxy. This makes it easy to prototype and change if needed.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

dobryan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 06, 2017 1:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Prototyping Vanagon Aero Wing Reply with quote

Looks like a fun project! Let us know how it goes. Very Happy

"To travel hopefully is a better thing than to arrive." Robert Louis Stevenson

MD>Canada>AK>WA>OR>CA>AZ>UT>WY>SD
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=620646

Building a bus for travel in Europe (euroBus)
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=695371

The Western Syncro build
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=746794
MarkWard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 06, 2017 1:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Prototyping Vanagon Aero Wing Reply with quote

Looking forward to seeing what you come up with. I have noticed on the last few road trips that some 18 wheelers are running a similar idea to help the air flow leave the trailer. I recall a vanagon that had a similar setup a few years ago.

danfromsyr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 06, 2017 1:18 pm    Post subject: Re: Prototyping Vanagon Aero Wing Reply with quote

heres a vanagon aero tail
http://www.vanagonhacks.com/2014/07/the-aerodynamics-of-the-vanagon/

http://ecomodder.com/forum/showthread.php/roof-spoiler-pick-up-truck-cab-phase-1-a-19525-10.html

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Pingora
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 06, 2017 1:57 pm    Post subject: Re: Prototyping Vanagon Aero Wing Reply with quote

Yes I had seen that design on the big rigs, and it does work as simple as it is.

I had also seen that Vanagon tail. I bet it did have some effect, but my goal is to achieve similar if not better benefits, but with a simpler and better design that is less obtrusive, looks better, and is easy to take off.

My plan is to have bent metal tabs that are fitted with rubber gasketing that then simply gets compressed when you close the hatch, so easy on, easy off.

There are more weird angles than you would think on the rear of a vanagon, it has been interesting getting the wing to match up to the shape. It also has a slight downward curvature (high part in the middle) to match the roofline.

I'm playing with the idea of tapering the side parts all the way down the back, or reducing them.
Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 06, 2017 2:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Prototyping Vanagon Aero Wing Reply with quote

There is no way that is street legal unless you make it clear do that lights etc can be seen
Pingora
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 06, 2017 2:12 pm    Post subject: Re: Prototyping Vanagon Aero Wing Reply with quote

There are no lights up there for it to cover. I think it will make more sense when I post closer to finished pics. The side pieces just hold it in place and add a bit of a taper in for the sides. And for the driver it will only block maybe the top 1/4 of the window view.
MarkWard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 06, 2017 2:22 pm    Post subject: Re: Prototyping Vanagon Aero Wing Reply with quote

The campers have the top of rear window blocked with a cross cabinet. Would not worry about visibility. I think the comment about rear lights was related to the Vanagon with the tail posted above, not your design. Best of luck.
Pingora
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 06, 2017 3:10 pm    Post subject: Re: Prototyping Vanagon Aero Wing Reply with quote

You are right, I think they just looked at the most recent post and thought the picture was mine.

Yea, I'm not worried about visibility. Though I did consider at one point a transparent covering. You can get it in model aircraft strength, but I decided I wanted it to be much tougher, so went with Dacron.

If I find an iteration that works really well I may eventually carve a foam core version and coat with fiberglass and resin for a nicer smooth surface.
T3 Pilot
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 06, 2017 5:13 pm    Post subject: Re: Prototyping Vanagon Aero Wing Reply with quote

Following this thread with interest in the name of improved fuel mileage, and secondly looking to further the discussion about airflow around and under the Van.

I noticed rear air vent scoops in your image showing the test fitting of the foil frame. Here is a link to a Samba thread discussing air flow and pressure around and inside the vent inlets in the D pillar:

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=...mp;start=0

Good luck with the experiment.....

The most important part in every vehicle is the nut behind the wheel......
Steve M.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 07, 2017 5:46 am    Post subject: Re: Prototyping Vanagon Aero Wing Reply with quote

T3 Pilot wrote:
and secondly looking to further the discussion about airflow around and under the Van.

I always thought to stop and pick up one of those 18-wheeler tire carcasses you see on the interstates- (just the outside tread belt thrown off from from a separation.) to experiment as an air dam under the front bumper.
1.) it would be cheap.
2.) it would be somewhat flexible to bend when hitting something.
3.) it would maybe stiff enough to not bend by the high wind forces when barreling down the road or easy to add a strong flexible stiffner.
4.) easy enough to mount.
5.) bragging rights of what happened to the last truck tailgating you going uphill.

There are seven days in a week. Someday is not one of them.
campism
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 07, 2017 8:21 am    Post subject: Re: Prototyping Vanagon Aero Wing Reply with quote

Garden edging. It's available in widths to about 8" with a bead on one side for mounting. Can be reinforced from behind with metal brackets, if necessary.
Pingora
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 07, 2017 10:51 am    Post subject: Re: Prototyping Vanagon Aero Wing Reply with quote

The main aerfoil almost ready for Dacron covering. Here you can kind of see the curvature to match the roofline.

tmart
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 07, 2017 11:17 am    Post subject: Re: Prototyping Vanagon Aero Wing Reply with quote

Fellow aero engineer here, in school my team actually looked into reduction of drag in trucks (briefly, we ended up working on something else) and came across these: http://www.airtab.com.

The idea is that the negative pressure is reduced at the back end of the truck/trailer/vanagon by initiating turbulent flow. I never looked into the numbers or anything but could be something to consider.

Nice because they don't block the rear window at all, but not as fun of a project...
Pingora
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 07, 2017 11:47 am    Post subject: Re: Prototyping Vanagon Aero Wing Reply with quote

Yes I have looked into the airtabs as well. I haven't been able to find any proof that they have worked well on something like the Vanagon, but it would be pretty easy to try.

I think the idea with this wing concept is that by leaving a space between the leading edge and the van top, and by making the airfoil thick in the middle you really make use of the low pressure in the back and draw air down where you want it and direct it down and low much more than an ordinary spoiler would. Maybe energizing it in the correct aft direction instead of all willy nilly tripping off the blunt back.
Merian
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 07, 2017 12:29 pm    Post subject: Re: Prototyping Vanagon Aero Wing Reply with quote

something this crazy will need a spoiler on the front and some elements to block crosswise flow on the rear tail (i.e. sideways eddy movement)

Shocked
Pingora
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 07, 2017 12:49 pm    Post subject: Re: Prototyping Vanagon Aero Wing Reply with quote

There's no reason to need a spoiler on the front. Front end mods could help as well, but the majority of drag on a shape such as this comes from the blunt back end and the huge wake that it drags behind it (in fluid flow analyses you can see a wake at least twice the length of a semi-truck being dragged behind the truck).

I left those side panels on to guide some of the side flow, and mentioned I may try continuing/tapering them in all the way to the bottom. That part wouldn't be hard to add.

Nothing too crazy about it. I actually saw a Lexus SUV parked near me that had a very simplified and smaller version of this on it. I'll take a pic if I see it again. From the design you could tell it wasn't there to look cool, so they definitely put some thought into the function of it.
Red Beard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 07, 2017 12:55 pm    Post subject: Re: Prototyping Vanagon Aero Wing Reply with quote

tmart wrote:
Fellow aero engineer here, in school my team actually looked into reduction of drag in trucks (briefly, we ended up working on something else) and came across these: http://www.airtab.com.

The idea is that the negative pressure is reduced at the back end of the truck/trailer/vanagon by initiating turbulent flow. I never looked into the numbers or anything but could be something to consider.

Nice because they don't block the rear window at all, but not as fun of a project...

Certainly a less obtrusive modification, but they suggest only a 2-5% efficiency benefit. That's maybe 1mpg improvement at best for us.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Merian
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 07, 2017 1:05 pm    Post subject: Re: Prototyping Vanagon Aero Wing Reply with quote

Pingora wrote:
There's no reason to need a spoiler on the front. Front end mods could help as well, but the majority of drag on a shape such as this comes from the blunt back end and the huge wake that it drags behind it (in fluid flow analyses you can see a wake at least twice the length of a semi-truck being dragged behind the truck).

You need to think about more than just drag - you will need to worry about lift at the front - not to mention the benefits of managing airflow where it first contacts the bluff body.

Let me think now... VW has wind tunnels, teams of engineers and powerful computation resources... did they ever put a spoiler on the front Question Question Question
danfromsyr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 07, 2017 1:44 pm    Post subject: Re: Prototyping Vanagon Aero Wing Reply with quote

Yes in the 88-91 models with plastic cladding..

and for the sake to make it easier to reference I'll post this image here.
http://www.vanagonhacks.com/site/wp-content/uploads/vanagon-wind-tunnel.jpg

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to: