Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Prototyping Vanagon Aero Wing
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Pingora
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 07, 2017 3:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Prototyping Vanagon Aero Wing Reply with quote

Merian wrote:
Pingora wrote:
There's no reason to need a spoiler on the front. Front end mods could help as well, but the majority of drag on a shape such as this comes from the blunt back end and the huge wake that it drags behind it (in fluid flow analyses you can see a wake at least twice the length of a semi-truck being dragged behind the truck).

You need to think about more than just drag - you will need to worry about lift at the front - not to mention the benefits of managing airflow where it first contacts the bluff body.

Let me think now... VW has wind tunnels, teams of engineers and powerful computation resources... did they ever put a spoiler on the front Question Question Question

Merian,

One of the effects of this type of wing is to reduce lift at the rear, which is a good thing.

The airflow around the whole van is improved, in theory, since you are reducing the sharp pressure gradient front to back.

I of course agree that mods to the front would help as well, but I think you can treat it as a different project, and I'm just saying there's no reason an incremental improvement to the back end has to include front end improvements, and in my experience most of the drag on objects comes from the turbulent flow off the back of a terribly blunt back end.

The VW engineers optimized the interior/exterior space on the Vanagon. There was obviously no priority set on aerodynamics, especially past about 50 mph....
Pingora
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 07, 2017 3:14 pm    Post subject: Re: Prototyping Vanagon Aero Wing Reply with quote

Also, that image with the streamlines around the vans is cool, but doesn't show anything that happens after the stream leaves the back/top of the van, which is the most important part.
Merian
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 07, 2017 5:51 pm    Post subject: Re: Prototyping Vanagon Aero Wing Reply with quote

The streamlines show that a wing would have to stick up higher to intercept them.

They also show no turbulent eddies so maybe they are not very realistic.

Preventing relative lift at the front may prove critical to vehicle stability if a rear device is fitted.

If you have a background in auto aerodynamics then you must surely know about the 911 and the need for a front dam when using any wing or even a ducktail on the back. It is not about drag.
Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 07, 2017 6:38 pm    Post subject: Re: Prototyping Vanagon Aero Wing Reply with quote

Pingora wrote:
There's no reason to need a spoiler on the front. Front end mods could help as well, but the majority of drag on a shape such as this comes from the blunt back end and the huge wake that it drags behind it (in fluid flow analyses you can see a wake at least twice the length of a semi-truck being dragged behind the truck).

I left those side panels on to guide some of the side flow, and mentioned I may try continuing/tapering them in all the way to the bottom. That part wouldn't be hard to add.

Nothing too crazy about it. I actually saw a Lexus SUV parked near me that had a very simplified and smaller version of this on it. I'll take a pic if I see it again. From the design you could tell it wasn't there to look cool, so they definitely put some thought into the function of it.

Even longer..a turbulent wake behind An old school truck will be something like 300-400 meters
Pingora
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 07, 2017 8:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Prototyping Vanagon Aero Wing Reply with quote

Merian,

There you are correct. The 911 wing is not about drag, it's about downforce. That is a totally different type of wing/spoiler. This type is designed to reduce the wake behind the car, and the drag, much like the system designed for the big rigs that was pictured above. It's purpose is totally different. The idea is to simulate adding a big long tapered back end to the car without actually doing that.

The good thing is I'm actually doing it, so I will have some real world test results. It could be hard to quantify MPG gains, but at least I can report solidly on wind handling if nothing else.
ThankYouJerry
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 07, 2017 8:40 pm    Post subject: Re: Prototyping Vanagon Aero Wing Reply with quote

Take for example the 1964-1972 Alfa Romeo Giulia Super sedan. By looks alone, at best it was a phone booth with wheels. In reality, thanks to it's Kamm tail design, it was more aerodynamic than Porsche 911s of the same vintage!
thatbaldwinlife
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 08, 2017 9:09 am    Post subject: Re: Prototyping Vanagon Aero Wing Reply with quote

But would you want to run this on your van for 1-2 mgp increase? Seems like a lot of hassle and goofy looks for a small gain. My van is too pretty for that Smile
nate
That Baldwin Life YouTube Channel
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Ahwahnee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 08, 2017 9:14 am    Post subject: Re: Prototyping Vanagon Aero Wing Reply with quote

X2 - If mileage was all that important to me I would just slow down a tiny bit and get the same gain. Really, I think many could improve their mileage by that amount and more with some careful maintenance.

Still, it is an interesting exercise to watch.
Pingora
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 08, 2017 9:23 am    Post subject: Re: Prototyping Vanagon Aero Wing Reply with quote

Sure, I'd easily run it for 2 mpg increase. But I also am more interested in side wind handling almost. There was a thread a while back where someone added a long tapered tail (different than the short one posted above) and he said the most important effect it had was to significantly reduce side wind buffetting. My guess is that the reduction in sharp pressure gradients around the car made it less sensitive to small changes in angle of attack relative to the wind.

Also I think it will look cool when it's done in a funky way, and the idea is it's easy to take off. If it worked I'd only use it on longer highway trips.

Last edited by Pingora on Wed Nov 08, 2017 10:28 am; edited 1 time in total
bobbyblack Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 08, 2017 9:41 am    Post subject: Re: Prototyping Vanagon Aero Wing Reply with quote

On mileage, I agree. Recent trip across 2 states with 80 MPH freeway, and I did push my 2.1 WBX that fast, or slightly faster (top end of the Tac's green dotted zone -- like 4400rpm?) and the MPGs were about 15. I CAN get 20 MPG if I stay in the take-it-easy speedzone (like 55-60).

On looks, I also agree. I would think it strange to put a similar thing on my rig.

On science, Way to go! Love it, and keep at it, and THANK YOU!!!

I look forward to seeing it finished and tested, keep up the great project!

I WOULD put one of those on my rig for a trip across those states again, no question about it. Funny looking or not. I'd like a way to install it and remove it easily tho, for around town vs the annual family trips.

In a real world scenario, please consider what adding a bike rack/bikes to this would mean. I'd like to find a way to account turbulence of those as well. Maybe a clamshell type cover for the bikes that would work with the wing?

-bobby
thatbaldwinlife
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 08, 2017 12:49 pm    Post subject: Re: Prototyping Vanagon Aero Wing Reply with quote

With load rated 16" tires and the T3 bushing kit, my Westy is fine in crosswinds. The biggest factor is my Yakima box on top but that needs to stay. We only drive 65 mph tops on any highway we are on even with our firebreathing RJE 2.2L Smile

Have fun with the project.
That Baldwin Life YouTube Channel
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
MarkWard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 08, 2017 1:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Prototyping Vanagon Aero Wing Reply with quote

Quote:
There was obviously no priority set on aerodynamics, especially past about 50 mph....

Ironically the National Speed limit back then was still 55mph. "I can't drive. 55"
Wayne S. Johnson
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 08, 2017 1:12 pm    Post subject: Re: Prototyping Vanagon Aero Wing Reply with quote

This is what aerodynamics looks like.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Merian
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 08, 2017 1:46 pm    Post subject: Re: Prototyping Vanagon Aero Wing Reply with quote

yes, or look at a Prius - carefully

The 911 "wing" also was about drag not just downforce

- it appears further study is needed here

to improve mileage a better, more modern engine would help, and a hybrid setup would help a lot
Pingora
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 08, 2017 2:06 pm    Post subject: Re: Prototyping Vanagon Aero Wing Reply with quote

Bobbyblack, thanks for the encouragement, and the reasonable non-reactionary response.

For the most part it seems this should be called the VW Naysayers forum.

Merian, at least stay consistent. In an earlier post about a 911 (which by the way is not at all the topic of the thread) you said "it is not about drag". In addition, if you just looked at my signature you'd see I have a 2.5 Subaru engine in my van, and it's a 1990 Carat which has the front air dam.

Yes, there are other ways to gain efficiency. This thread was not meant to be about any of those. This was a design developed by PHD students for a purpose, using advanced fluid dynamics simulations. The design makes intuitive sense to me as well, so no harm in trying it out.

Also have you noticed that almost every boxy modern minivan or SUV has some sort of rear spoiler/wing/whateveryouwantacallit?
Jake de Villiers
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 08, 2017 2:46 pm    Post subject: Re: Prototyping Vanagon Aero Wing Reply with quote

Pingora wrote:
Bobbyblack, thanks for the encouragement, and the reasonable non-reactionary response.

For the most part it seems this should be called the VW Naysayers forum.

Merian, at least stay consistent. In an earlier post about a 911 (which by the way is not at all the topic of the thread) you said "it is not about drag". In addition, if you just looked at my signature you'd see I have a 2.5 Subaru engine in my van, and it's a 1990 Carat which has the front air dam.

Yes, there are other ways to gain efficiency. This thread was not meant to be about any of those. This was a design developed by PHD students for a purpose, using advanced fluid dynamics simulations. The design makes intuitive sense to me as well, so no harm in trying it out.

Also have you noticed that almost every boxy modern minivan or SUV has some sort of rear spoiler/wing/whateveryouwantacallit?

Ignore Marion, he thinks its a Porsche forum.

That van with the bustle belonged to Bob Parsons who had also closed the top of the luggage rack. He achieved 28 mpg on the high plateau in New Mexico.

I've covered my own luggage rack for a much more modest gain, just over 1 mpg.

I'm looking forward to see what you come up with and what difference it makes.
http://sites.google.com/site/subyjake/mydixiedarlin%27
www.crescentbeachguitar.com
www.thebassspa.com
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
bobbyblack Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 08, 2017 2:53 pm    Post subject: Re: Prototyping Vanagon Aero Wing Reply with quote

I got a chuckle out of the Naysayers bit. FUNNY!! I like a good laugh once a day or so Wink

As for the mention of other square boxes having something like this, yes!!! I keep noticing how my cars with square backs (SUV's, wagons, Vanagons, etc) get grime and dust on the back. In the market, my cars are usually lower cost units, vs. the possible 'upgrade' versions which have that rear wing/foil whatnot. The other folks who got the costlier version of my square ended thing that have that wing are not nearly as dusty.
MarkWard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 09, 2017 8:03 am    Post subject: Re: Prototyping Vanagon Aero Wing Reply with quote

If the Wright brothers had listened to the Naysayers we'd still be tied to the ground. Trial and error is probably a more valid way of testing, vs sitting at a desk crunching numbers. The problem with a lot of folks is their unwillingness to fail at something. Failure is how we learn. If we are afraid to fail, then we gain little.

Back in the early 90s, the VW dealer guys said my TDI conversion would never work. Now they are popular. Good thing I did not listen to the naysayers.
Pingora
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 09, 2017 10:23 am    Post subject: Re: Prototyping Vanagon Aero Wing Reply with quote

I got one side of the Dacron ironed on. Next time I will add more ribs, or sheet the concave sections at least, but it will work for a first prototype at least. The Dacron is attached with Heat'n'Bond iron on adhesive. I'll add a layer of epoxy or maybe some UV cure surfboard resin next to waterproof and make it stronger.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 09, 2017 10:30 am    Post subject: Re: Prototyping Vanagon Aero Wing Reply with quote

The naysayers on mods like this are usually (>95%) correct...stuff like this...

Quote:
That van with the bustle belonged to Bob Parsons who had also closed the top of the luggage rack. He achieved 28 mpg on the high plateau in New Mexico.

doesn't help your case. If you think aerodynamics on a car will lift you from 20 to 28 mpg, carry on.

pingora - wouldn't the tail also simply shift the aero centre of effort aft, which will immediately provide a cross wind performance improvement?
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4

Jump to: