Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Prototyping Vanagon Aero Wing
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
SSWesty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 09, 2017 1:12 pm    Post subject: Re: Prototyping Vanagon Aero Wing Reply with quote

pingora - You move at a much faster pace than I do on my projects. I am curious how your first test will go. There is a get to together up here in Seattle this Sunday. It would be pretty cool if you showed up with that wing on the back of your van.
mellowslow
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 09, 2017 2:13 pm    Post subject: Re: Prototyping Vanagon Aero Wing Reply with quote

Abscate wrote:
The naysayers on mods like this are usually (>95%) correct...stuff like this...

There is an automotive subculture of naysayers that is built around this very subject

https://www.google.com/search?q=shopping+cart+wing...01#imgrc=_
Jake de Villiers
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 09, 2017 3:06 pm    Post subject: Re: Prototyping Vanagon Aero Wing Reply with quote

Abscate wrote:

Quote:
That van with the bustle belonged to Bob Parsons who had also closed the top of the luggage rack. He achieved 28 mpg on the high plateau in New Mexico.

doesn't help your case. If you think aerodynamics on a car will lift you from 20 to 28 mpg, carry on.

My case? And speaking ill of the dead is pretty bush league, professor.
http://sites.google.com/site/subyjake/mydixiedarlin%27
www.crescentbeachguitar.com
www.thebassspa.com
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
mellowslow
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 09, 2017 3:54 pm    Post subject: Re: Prototyping Vanagon Aero Wing Reply with quote

Similar bus design popular with the hot wheels crew Very Happy

https://www.google.com/search?q=hot+wheels+drag+bu..._AUI2AIoAg
Pingora
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 09, 2017 5:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Prototyping Vanagon Aero Wing Reply with quote

I may move somewhat fast, but not fast enough for this weekend! Maybe if I didn't have a normal job.... Smile
Merian
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 10, 2017 12:08 pm    Post subject: Re: Prototyping Vanagon Aero Wing Reply with quote

newly minted PhDs are supposed to be ineducable, not ones still working on a degree

nonetheless, I wish you good luck
Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 10, 2017 12:33 pm    Post subject: Re: Prototyping Vanagon Aero Wing Reply with quote

Jake de Villiers wrote:
Abscate wrote:

Quote:
That van with the bustle belonged to Bob Parsons who had also closed the top of the luggage rack. He achieved 28 mpg on the high plateau in New Mexico.

doesn't help your case. If you think aerodynamics on a car will lift you from 20 to 28 mpg, carry on.

One of the Bush' died? I missed that. Is that right? Or should it be Bussh' like busses'
Jake de Villiers
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 11, 2017 12:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Prototyping Vanagon Aero Wing Reply with quote

Abscate wrote:
Jake de Villiers wrote:
Abscate wrote:

Quote:

One of the Bush' died? I missed that. Is that right? Or should it be Bussh' like busses'

No, Bob Parsons the Vanagon aero guy.

https://localwiki.org/denton/Robert_Carroll_Parsons
www.thebassspa.com
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Pingora
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 11, 2017 6:26 pm    Post subject: Re: Prototyping Vanagon Aero Wing Reply with quote

The Dacron is all on, time to work on the side fairings...

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

pinetreeporsche
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 12, 2017 7:31 pm    Post subject: Re: Prototyping Vanagon Aero Wing Reply with quote

Pingora wrote:
0 Carat which has the front air dam. ... Also have you noticed that almost every boxy modern minivan or SUV has some sort of rear spoiler/wing/whateveryouwantacallit?

I just today saw a very sharp looking rear spoiler on a very recent model Subaru Outback. Whether it would improve our gas mileage can only be established by mounting it or a similar one on one of our vans for testing/data collection.
Pingora
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2017 2:15 pm    Post subject: Re: Prototyping Vanagon Aero Wing Reply with quote

I think I saw the spoiler you are talking about on a newer Outback as well while I was going for a run. It looks really similar to the one I saw on a Lexus. It looks to me a very similar working principle to the one I'm trying out. The underside scoops in a downward direction to draw air down the backside instead of it separating. I think the wing design I'm working with is a more exaggerated version of it, that would of course never fly (har har) on a production model SUV.
Pingora
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 16, 2017 11:53 am    Post subject: Re: Prototyping Vanagon Aero Wing Reply with quote

I had a chance to test fit the wing. My marine epoxy hasn't arrived so it's not waterproof yet, but I was able to back it in to the shop at work briefly to get the rear out of the rain. It fits almost perfect. It has aluminum angle with gasket that gets compressed by the hatch, and the wood sides get pushed against the back of the car. Those will have gasket as well.

I bet that the height it sits above the back will be pretty critical, but I could be wrong. As it is, it looks like it sits high, but it's still lower than the high point on the van, so no added frontal area. I'll be able to adjust this as needed.

Once I get the epoxy I can finish it and make the sides more permanent and it should be sturdy enough after that for a test run.

Jake de Villiers
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 16, 2017 2:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Prototyping Vanagon Aero Wing Reply with quote

Cool! I'd want it to sit lower so as not to snag whatever laminar flow might be coming down the roof.
www.thebassspa.com
Pingora
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 16, 2017 2:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Prototyping Vanagon Aero Wing Reply with quote

Jake,

I think it's supposed to snag that flow, before it gets turbulent and direct it down to energize the air on the underside. I'll find out though!

D
dobryan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 16, 2017 3:08 pm    Post subject: Re: Prototyping Vanagon Aero Wing Reply with quote

IMHO there is no laminar flow at the rear of the roof. 😂

That being said the idea
of using the low
pressure at the rear end to pull the flow down to reduce base drag has merit.

Says the old CFD curmudgeon.

"To travel hopefully is a better thing than to arrive." Robert Louis Stevenson

MD>Canada>AK>WA>OR>CA>AZ>UT>WY>SD
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=620646

Building a bus for travel in Europe (euroBus)
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=695371

The Western Syncro build
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=746794
Pingora
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 16, 2017 3:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Prototyping Vanagon Aero Wing Reply with quote

I guess I didn't quite mean laminar flow. I'm thinking "smooth-ish" flow, as compared to the giant wake that starts to happen after tripping off the back end usually.

Plus you always have to think of the entire flow as one cohesive unit. Changing part of the shape might very well cause laminar flow or different flow further upstream. If I remember right from fluid dynamics class the only time this can't happen is in supersonic flow, since there's no time for the flow downstream to effect the flow upstream.
Jake de Villiers
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 17, 2017 8:41 am    Post subject: Re: Prototyping Vanagon Aero Wing Reply with quote

Pingora wrote:
Jake,

I think it's supposed to snag that flow, before it gets turbulent and direct it down to energize the air on the underside. I'll find out though!

D

Okay, I get it.
I remember Bob Parsons saying not to think of the Vanagon as too tall for its length but rather not long enough for its height!
www.thebassspa.com
furrylittleotter
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 20, 2017 9:31 pm    Post subject: Re: Prototyping Vanagon Aero Wing Reply with quote

Pretty fun project. You are correct the tapered tale that I put on my van completely illuminated crosswind interference with handling. Somebody claimed that there were no jetties off the back of a vanagain. I cannot think of a more ridiculous statement to make. Just because they’re not pictured in the aerodynamic photograph does not mean they don’t exist. Also the idea that the front end cannot be helped with an aerodynamic fixture is ludicrous. I fitted one and the results were dramatic. Unfortunately I never got past making the test model. Enjoy your project I think it looks cool looks kind a bat like. Id paint it black. And yes the naysayers are still on here in full force. I see the safety patrol even stopped by. welcome to thesomber, er I mean thesamba😏

Neil2
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 21, 2017 5:24 am    Post subject: Re: Prototyping Vanagon Aero Wing Reply with quote

I think the impact is dramatic , it's just the topic of the drama might be different.

You won't get 40% improvement in economy as alluded to above, given that aero forces are at max 30% of total at highway speeds. Math is kind of cool thing that way.

Impressive workmanship on that fairing, that takes talent to work materials like that.
OddN
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 21, 2017 6:34 am    Post subject: Re: Prototyping Vanagon Aero Wing Reply with quote

Have you made some calculations on what amount of lift that will create on the rear wheels? Too much lift in the rear would result in some interresting (=dangerous) handling.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4

Jump to: