Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

No hazards or turn signals
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
stevo96
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 06, 2017 4:32 pm    Post subject: No hazards or turn signals Reply with quote

Hi, bus is a 76. I have no indicators and no hazards. What could cause both to stop working? Fuses all seem good.
alman72
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 06, 2017 5:08 pm    Post subject: Re: No hazards or turn signals Reply with quote

hazard switch popped open?
stevo96
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 06, 2017 6:55 pm    Post subject: Re: No hazards or turn signals Reply with quote

Thanks for the tip, it appears the problem is with the switch. If I press on the switch to one angle the switch starts to work and the turn signals also work. Is there an earth on the back of the switch or does it earth through where it mounts?
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 06, 2017 7:00 pm    Post subject: Re: No hazards or turn signals Reply with quote

There should be a wire that attaches to the case of the switch from the back of the instrument cluster to ground it. Reach up under there and squeeze the plastic part with all the terminals on it back into the switch and put a zip tie around it to keep it there.

Idea Tip: sweep off the cab floor mat before starting this job so you won't be digging through gravel and dirt if it pops apart and some springs, etc.. go flying.

Please don't PM technical questions, ask your problem in public so everyone can play along. If you think it's too stupid post it here
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!

Слава Україні!
stevo96
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 16, 2017 3:59 pm    Post subject: Re: No hazards or turn signals Reply with quote

I removed the switch and itcame apart in my hand, the earth wire was secure. I put it back together inc the little ball bearing behind the spring. It’s still not working. Like I said earlier it works if I apply sideward pressure to the switch as if it needs to be contacting the body for it to work. Am I looking at a new switch?
my59
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 16, 2017 4:53 pm    Post subject: Re: No hazards or turn signals Reply with quote

May not apply, but every time one of my Benz's had no indicators I found it was the hazard switch. Dissasemble, clean, buff all the contacts, reassemble and it was good to go.
alman72
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 16, 2017 5:34 pm    Post subject: Re: No hazards or turn signals Reply with quote

couple of zip ties?
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 16, 2017 5:46 pm    Post subject: Re: No hazards or turn signals Reply with quote

Some critical sliding contact may have leapt out and scurried away, there's 3 springs, 2 copper contact sliders (look like a funny staple ] ) and the detent ball, you might need a new switch, but lets do some testing first.
Break out your test light or meter and probe for power at terminal #30 (red), then with the key on probe terminal #15 (green), both show power? Now with the knob pushed in probe the + terminal (white), there should only be power when the key is on, now pull the knob and + should have power even if the key is off. If all those check out OK we'll move on to the other side of the switch and check the signal wires, an ohm meter works well for this. L, R & 49a should all show no continuity to each other when the knob is in, when the knob is pulled all 3 should be connected together.
If all that tests OK probe the + wire at the relay (knob in and out, key on and off), if there's no power there the wire is suspect.

The diagram below is for a 72 bus, the signal circuit is the same on all year Euro models and 72-79 North American versions, the fuse locations may differ over the years but the wire colors and terminal numbers remain the same.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Please don't PM technical questions, ask your problem in public so everyone can play along. If you think it's too stupid post it here

Слава Україні!
stevo96
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 21, 2017 6:16 pm    Post subject: Re: No hazards or turn signals Reply with quote

Cheers BD, I ended up buying a new switch, the problem is this has an extra tab. My hazards are now working but my indicators are not at the stalk?

stevo96
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 21, 2017 6:37 pm    Post subject: Re: No hazards or turn signals Reply with quote

I have power at terminal 30 but none at 15?
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 21, 2017 6:47 pm    Post subject: Re: No hazards or turn signals Reply with quote

stevo96 wrote:
I have power at terminal 30 but none at 15?

Then off to the fuse box to find out why, no #15 means no turn signals.

Слава Україні!
JaimeH Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2018 4:04 am    Post subject: Re: No hazards or turn signals Reply with quote

Thank You Samba. I was taking my bus to get inspected today and on the way the signals stopped working. Using my phone access The Samba a quick search of Turn Signals led me to this thread. Sure enough the switched had popped open. Even with no tools I was able to get the switch out under the dash and pop it back together long enough to pass inspecton. I then got this cool sticker for the front of Da Bus.

Tcash
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2018 11:14 pm    Post subject: Re: No hazards or turn signals Reply with quote

Put a zip tie around it to hold it together.

Good luck
Tcash
JaimeH Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2018 3:47 am    Post subject: Re: No hazards or turn signals Reply with quote

Thanks Tcash. The zip tie seems to be all it needs it to be held together firmly. The orignal crimps just don't engage the back anymore.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: