Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

How do you transport a small portable generators?
Page: Previous  1, 2
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
mcbbcn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 07, 2017 2:45 pm    Post subject: Re: How do you transport a small portable generators? Reply with quote

And here is a roll top airtight bag...not sure the small portable generator will fit, but I thought I would share the link

https://www.sportsmansguide.com/product/index/scent-lok-scentote-airtight-bag?a=1754405

Best,

Miquel
mcbbcn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 07, 2017 2:46 pm    Post subject: Re: How do you transport a small portable generators? Reply with quote

kourt wrote:
mcbbcn wrote:
Also, I do these trips in Winter, it gets very cold, and I would like to keep coach battery for heat.

Just in case anyone has not addressed this yet... using electricity to generate comfort heat for winter camping, whether it be DC or AC, is extremely inefficient. There is no substitute for burning hydrocarbons (propane) when it comes to heating. In the long term you may want to invest in a Propex heater (http://www.westyventures.com/propex.html). The HS2211 linked here mounts underneath the van, does all of its combustion outside the van in a separate airspace, transfers its heat through a heat exchanger, and blows the hot air into the van—a totally safe solution that ensures you will not be exposed to carbon monoxide gas.

kourt

That is a great solution. Definitely something to think about for the future. Thanks for sharing
ThankYouJerry
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 07, 2017 8:23 pm    Post subject: Re: How do you transport a small portable generators? Reply with quote

mcbbcn wrote:

Yes, I'm learning towards carrying it inside, it is one of those very small 1000 watts, and I'm learning that there are airtight bags out there.

If you're going to carry it inside make sure it is strapped down securely! You don't want a 40lb brick flying toward your head during an accident. Shocked

These work well for that: http://www.gowesty.com/product-details.php?v=&id=4372
vwwestyman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 07, 2017 9:21 pm    Post subject: Re: How do you transport a small portable generators? Reply with quote

I wonder how stinky it really would be? If the generator is in pretty good shape (i.e. no leaks or anything like that) there shouldn't be much smell to escape.

About the only thing might be the vent on the gas cap, depending on how it is vented. A small piece of plastic under the cap, with the cap screwed down much like that instructible, would solve that problem. Just remember to remove the plastic when firing the generator up.

Were it me, I'd either use one of those hitch racks, or I'd just carry it inside and I'd probably not worry about trying to wrap it up in plastic. Maybe set on a tarp but that is probably it.

Anyway, sounds neat. I'm no astronomer, but I do very much enjoy getting to stare at the stars on a dark, moonless night.

President, Wild Westerner Club

1978 Champagne Edition Westy, repowered to '97 Jetta TDI
1973 Wild Westerner
My Thing
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Love My Westy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 07, 2017 9:23 pm    Post subject: Re: How do you transport a small portable generators? Reply with quote

I built a platform similar to the Harbor Freight Step and attached a Low Pro Generator Security system for my Honda 2000i generator. I also added an attachment to carry my HiLift jack.

https://www.google.com/search?client=safari&rl...a07eEw9CAs
whynotvw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 07, 2017 9:47 pm    Post subject: Re: How do you transport a small portable generators? Reply with quote

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Aluminess, aluminum box. Perfect for it and still room for other sruff.

Only draw back is the cost.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
jberger
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 07, 2017 10:02 pm    Post subject: Re: How do you transport a small portable generators? Reply with quote

I have carried a Honda EU2000 on my van for thousands of miles. Sometimes in the luggage rack (noisy when running), even in Death Valley on 1 wheel up trails.. Move it to the ground when running. Even on a platform or the tongue of a trailer the vibration, while not bad, disturbs me. Carry it however you like. they are not heavy in the grand scheme of things and clearly... you need one.
mcbbcn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 08, 2017 10:28 am    Post subject: Re: How do you transport a small portable generators? Reply with quote

ThankYouJerry wrote:
mcbbcn wrote:

Yes, I'm learning towards carrying it inside, it is one of those very small 1000 watts, and I'm learning that there are airtight bags out there.

If you're going to carry it inside make sure it is strapped down securely! You don't want a 40lb brick flying toward your head during an accident. Shocked

These work well for that: http://www.gowesty.com/product-details.php?v=&id=4372

Great tip! Thank you!
mcbbcn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 08, 2017 10:29 am    Post subject: Re: How do you transport a small portable generators? Reply with quote

vwwestyman wrote:
I wonder how stinky it really would be? If the generator is in pretty good shape (i.e. no leaks or anything like that) there shouldn't be much smell to escape.

About the only thing might be the vent on the gas cap, depending on how it is vented. A small piece of plastic under the cap, with the cap screwed down much like that instructible, would solve that problem. Just remember to remove the plastic when firing the generator up.

Were it me, I'd either use one of those hitch racks, or I'd just carry it inside and I'd probably not worry about trying to wrap it up in plastic. Maybe set on a tarp but that is probably it.

Anyway, sounds neat. I'm no astronomer, but I do very much enjoy getting to stare at the stars on a dark, moonless night.

Hi Dave, thank you so much and I really appreciate the tip about the tap. Great thinking!

Yes, Astronomy is such a humbling hobby, there is nothing like the reminder of how small we are when we look up at the stars...

Last edited by mcbbcn on Wed Nov 08, 2017 10:34 am; edited 1 time in total
mcbbcn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 08, 2017 10:31 am    Post subject: Re: How do you transport a small portable generators? Reply with quote

whynotvw wrote:

Aluminess, aluminum box. Perfect for it and still room for other sruff.

Only draw back is the cost.

Wow! That is a fancy looking setup. Thanks for sharing and quite inspiring. Nicely done!
mcbbcn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 08, 2017 10:33 am    Post subject: Re: How do you transport a small portable generators? Reply with quote

jberger wrote:
I have carried a Honda EU2000 on my van for thousands of miles. Sometimes in the luggage rack (noisy when running), even in Death Valley on 1 wheel up trails.. Move it to the ground when running. Even on a platform or the tongue of a trailer the vibration, while not bad, disturbs me. Carry it however you like. they are not heavy in the grand scheme of things and clearly... you need one.

Yes, thank you. I'm definitely planning to have it on the ground while running. Probably close the van tie up. Not worrying too much about the noise as I stay up through imaging sessions anyway, although I'm the sure the white noise will get me to sleep. lol
mcbbcn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 08, 2017 10:36 am    Post subject: Re: How do you transport a small portable generators? Reply with quote

Also, I'm considering modifying the portable generator to run on LP and connect it to the van LP tank. I run some calculations on consumption and I could even probably power the van using my own van propane and still after 3 nights, I should have half the LP tank full. Interesting idea, because it would make the generator less smelly and cleaner to run.
vwwestyman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 08, 2017 5:07 pm    Post subject: Re: How do you transport a small portable generators? Reply with quote

Oh! Converting to run on propane is a neat idea!

It's supposed to burn much cleaner, so things like oil contamination is significantly reduced. Also seemingly much less likely to have it go bad and him up the carb or anything like that.

I'm thinking about converting my lawnmower for those reasons.

President, Wild Westerner Club

1978 Champagne Edition Westy, repowered to '97 Jetta TDI
1973 Wild Westerner
My Thing
kbeefy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 08, 2017 7:42 pm    Post subject: Re: How do you transport a small portable generators? Reply with quote

I have a 800-100w generator on my GW Swingout along with 5g water and 5g fuel tank.

'86 Syncro Westy. Stock for now.

2000 F350 7.3 CC LB 11' Northland Cabover

2006 Subbie OBXT

2002 Tacoma DoubleCab 4x4

1969 Mustang Basket Case 351c/FMX/9

http://kbeefy.blogspot.com/
ThankYouJerry
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 08, 2017 8:53 pm    Post subject: Re: How do you transport a small portable generators? Reply with quote

mcbbcn wrote:
Also, I'm considering modifying the portable generator to run on LP and connect it to the van LP tank. I run some calculations on consumption and I could even probably power the van using my own van propane and still after 3 nights, I should have half the LP tank full. Interesting idea, because it would make the generator less smelly and cleaner to run.

If so, you'll need a much larger LP tank (or two) under your Westy if you're planning on running the generator for extended periods of time. Even more so if you're running other ancillary LP accessories (Propex, fridge, stove/grill, etc). Gallon vs. gallon you'll get more power from gasoline than propane.

"Propane has a higher octane rating than gasoline (104 to 112, compared with 87 to 92 for gasoline) and potentially more horsepower, but its lower British thermal unit (Btu) rating per gallon results in lower fuel economy. However, the price per gallon can quickly offset the lower fuel economy."

http://www.gowesty.com/product-details.php?v=&id=23916
mcbbcn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 08, 2017 9:07 pm    Post subject: Re: How do you transport a small portable generators? Reply with quote

ThankYouJerry wrote:
mcbbcn wrote:

If so, you'll need a much larger LP tank (or two) under your Westy if you're planning on running the generator for extended periods of time. Even more so if you're running other ancillary LP accessories (Propex, fridge, stove/grill, etc). Gallon vs. gallon you'll get more power from gasoline than propane.

"Propane has a higher octane rating than gasoline (104 to 112, compared with 87 to 92 for gasoline) and potentially more horsepower, but its lower British thermal unit (Btu) rating per gallon results in lower fuel economy. However, the price per gallon can quickly offset the lower fuel economy."

http://www.gowesty.com/product-details.php?v=&id=23916

I have almost 6 gallon tank for LP right now. I have mesured electrical draw for fridge, furnace and faucet. Also, for my additional electronics. I know my generator will handle it well.

And you are right, LP generator is less power than fuel, so I may have to take some fuel and use it if I see the LP running low. However, I’ve calculated hourly LP consumption of LP generator, and for 3 nights, it should be ok. This generator can run 48 hours straight with 4.7 gallons of LP but I won’t be running 48 hours, probably more like 8 hours a night. Then, I come back to civilization and refilll LP again. I think it’s kind of cool that we can use more than one way to run the generator (fuel or LP), it makes for a more flexible setup.

Other than staying warm, I don’t anticipate a lot of fridge use for 3 nights. I can just cook pasta, snacks, drink water and have a nice meal after I come out of the empty plains.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: