Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Coming to a State Near You !
Forum Index -> HBB Off-Road Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Third
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 07, 2017 1:39 pm    Post subject: Coming to a State Near You ! Reply with quote

Not really "new" news, but the shit has hit the fan now that the title revocation letters have started to appear in mailboxes....

This is important, because YOUR states are next if this continues. This has been brewing since the 2013 law was written, but only now has the DMV mandated it's strict enforcement. And they are all up Law Enforcement's ass to see it carried out.

This is bigger than "dune buggies" or kit cars". It will effect all sorts of vehicles (trucks or baja bugs with motor swaps, custom motorcycles, etc). The reach of this cancer is already festering...

https://www.hemmings.com/blog/2017/11/06/texas-beg...-kit-cars/
HerbieDave
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 07, 2017 2:01 pm    Post subject: Re: Coming to a State Near You ! Reply with quote

Interesting read! Thanks for sharing
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
pullstart
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 07, 2017 7:43 pm    Post subject: Re: Coming to a State Near You ! Reply with quote

BOOOOO!

my build page: https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=662104&start=0
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
jimmyhoffa
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 08, 2017 7:29 am    Post subject: Re: Coming to a State Near You ! Reply with quote

Though there are some serious disadvantages of going this route in almost every state, I wonder what happens to the people with historic plates...

To me this is really what takes the "USA" out of livin' in the USA. If you can't "roll yer own" and be weird if you want to with regard to whatever your interests are, life is going to get pretty boring here. Pretty soon it will be Honda Civics and Ford f-150's for all, bone stock and quiet as a mouse.
Crying or Very sad
1974 Chenowth 2RL #1244 Street Legal
My other car isn't ridiculous.
DancingOnTheAshes
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 08, 2017 11:51 am    Post subject: Re: Coming to a State Near You ! Reply with quote

I was kind of shocked to hear about this because as an outsider the impression I have of the American car culture is that it's open for everyone. Build whatever you want and as long as it meets the safety requirements then you're free to let your freak flag fly on the road.

Kind of sad, really.
weasel_ugs
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 08, 2017 6:34 pm    Post subject: Re: Coming to a State Near You ! Reply with quote

They tried to do something like this in Arizona in the 80's. We had a cruise to the capital run and so many car enthusiasts show up they changed their mind real fast. We had so many show up we filled Central Ave both ways through the center of town.

What they proposed was a bumper height law which would kill anything without stock bumpers in original height from the ground. This would have affected low riders, monster trucks, street rods and everything in-between.
dirtkeeper
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 09, 2017 7:47 am    Post subject: Re: Coming to a State Near You ! Reply with quote

DancingOnTheAshes wrote:
I was kind of shocked to hear about this because as an outsider the impression I have of the American car culture is that it's open for everyone. Build whatever you want and as long as it meets the safety requirements then you're free to let your freak flag fly on the road.

Kind of sad, really.

I don’t think you could build anything that would meet current safety requirements, certainly not an open top buggy. What surprises me is that Texas, the land of no laws, would be doing this.
Third
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 09, 2017 8:32 am    Post subject: Re: Coming to a State Near You ! Reply with quote

jimmyhoffa wrote:
Though there are some serious disadvantages of going this route in almost every state, I wonder what happens to the people with historic plates...

As of the current legislation, the DVM will be revoking the plates, titles, and window sticker if deemed:

Kit Car
Dune Buggy
Etc

But they are *really* hammering anything the "deem" to be a "dune buggy". And I'll not be shocked if they venture into dropping the hammer on Baja bugs at some point...

The following are not eligible for Texas title regardless of the vehicle’s previous title and/or registration in this or any other jurisdiction:

• vehicles that are missing or are stripped of their motor, frame, or body, to the extent that it materially alters the manufacturer’s original design or makes the vehicle unsafe for on-road operation as determined by the department;
• vehicles designed or determined by the department to be a dune buggy;
• vehicles designed or determined by the department to be for off-road use only

Pretty much anything they want to go after can be fair game...
Third
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 09, 2017 8:35 am    Post subject: Re: Coming to a State Near You ! Reply with quote

DancingOnTheAshes wrote:
What surprises me is that Texas, the land of no laws, would be doing this.

I'm just going to paint my cars black and register them as "assault vehicles".

That should do it...

;p

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
Q-Dog
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 09, 2017 9:16 am    Post subject: Re: Coming to a State Near You ! Reply with quote

Was this legislation maybe intended to keep Razor and Gator type vehicles and sand rails off of the streets?

Seems odd that our fiberglass buggies have been OK for 50 years and now aren't. Also, how can hot rods and street rods be OK (a fiberglass T-bucket isnt that different from a buggy) and not a Manx or similar fiberglass car.

'69 Dune Buggy
'69 Beetle Convertible
'70 Beetle
jimmyhoffa
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 09, 2017 11:11 am    Post subject: Re: Coming to a State Near You ! Reply with quote

All the t-bucket guys I know have model T titles, and I know several hot rod guys with just random titles to something they found and deemed reasonable. All fun and games until you get hit.
1974 Chenowth 2RL #1244 Street Legal
My other car isn't ridiculous.
dustymojave
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 10, 2017 4:16 am    Post subject: Re: Coming to a State Near You ! Reply with quote

It seems the people of Texas need to show that THEY are in charge and demonstrate that they live in "the land of the free", not the home of the bureaucrat. I see no statement of cause other than some bureaucrat thinks they don't like buggies. Not what they like or think cars should be like. It would be one thing to stop issuing NEW titles for newly constructed buggies, but what the Texas DMV are doing is going back on an existing contract between the state of Texas and their constituents who have met the legal requirements and paid their fees. Maybe Texans should revoke the bureaucrat's pay checks? Oh and Texas better DAMNED WELL pay back any fees they have collected if they are going to go through with revoking any titles and/or licenses. If the vehicles in some way do NOT meet the regulations, then the DMV has taken the fees under false pretenses. That is a jail-worthy offense, is it not?
Retired from building Bajas, Fiberglass Buggies and Rails in the Mojave Desert. Also Sprints & Midgets, Dry Lakes, Road Race cars. All types New and Vintage
SoCalBajas Member
Kicked Cancer's A$$...1st and 2nd round...Fight ain't over yet.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Kizbo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 10, 2017 8:56 am    Post subject: Re: Coming to a State Near You ! Reply with quote

dustymojave wrote:
It seems the people of Texas need to show that THEY are in charge and demonstrate that they live in "the land of the free", not the home of the bureaucrat. I see no statement of cause other than some bureaucrat thinks they don't like buggies. Not what they like or think cars should be like. It would be one thing to stop issuing NEW titles for newly constructed buggies, but what the Texas DMV are doing is going back on an existing contract between the state of Texas and their constituents who have met the legal requirements and paid their fees. Maybe Texans should revoke the bureaucrat's pay checks? Oh and Texas better DAMNED WELL pay back any fees they have collected if they are going to go through with revoking any titles and/or licenses. If the vehicles in some way do NOT meet the regulations, then the DMV has taken the fees under false pretenses. That is a jail-worthy offense, is it not?

Applause Amen! I really hope this bureaucratic nonsense doesn't come to Kentucky anytime soon.
mkparker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 11, 2017 12:10 pm    Post subject: Re: Coming to a State Near You ! Reply with quote

We're working on it!!

https://www.gofundme.com/SavetheTexasDuneBuggy

Pit Boy 6163 Spec Trophy Truck
L5wolvesf
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 11, 2017 6:49 pm    Post subject: Re: Coming to a State Near You ! Reply with quote

I would imagine SEMA would be able to help on this. They've dealt with stuff like the a lot.

www.sema.org/

SNORE # 1196 sponsored by:
- www.356carburetorrescue.com/home.html
- Barnwerks Fabrication & Welding
- ArtSpeed Graphics

“Racing's important to men who do it well. When you're racing, it's life. Anything that happens before or after is just waiting.”
S. McQueen
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> HBB Off-Road All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: