Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Hello new Square!!!!
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 5, 6, 7 ... 9, 10, 11  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Type 3 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
oxsign
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 31, 2019 4:12 pm    Post subject: Re: Hello new Square!!!! Reply with quote

Relocated the coil and extended the wires. I like it. Doesn’t look so cluttered now. And installed the new air bellow too.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Also put some deadener under the lid as well.

And, just for fun I added my Volkswagen bottle opener, lol. I have a 2” bar strip on the backside that extends 1.5” past the bottle opener itself for support.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
oxsign
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 01, 2019 4:30 pm    Post subject: Re: Hello new Square!!!! Reply with quote

Did a few more things to the squareback today.

Marker lights. Still deciding to go with red/white or amber.

TYPE3 badges

SQUAREBACK badge

VW bottle opener

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Bobnotch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 02, 2019 10:07 am    Post subject: Re: Hello new Square!!!! Reply with quote

oxsign wrote:
Relocated the coil and extended the wires. I like it. Doesn’t look so cluttered now. And installed the new air bellow too.

You know, you might want to look at getting a pair of air cleaners and bases from CB Performance, since you've found you don't have a lot of clearance to the floor. That's the one thing I dislike about the Chinese carb linkage set up for the Chinese Weber ICTs. That bracket stands up, which causes you to have to use an air cleaner that rises up into the space you need. The CB air cleaners drop over the throat, and settle below (just above the float chamber) to give you more room for air cleaner clearance. Just a thought, as I know you're having a clearance issue.

I like the red and white lenses myself. I turn them into side mounted turn signals. Wink
64 T-34 Ghia...aka Wolfie, under construction... http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=412120
Tram wrote:
"Friends are God's way of apologizing for relatives."
Tram wrote:
People keep confusing "restored" and "restroyed".
notchboy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 02, 2019 10:23 am    Post subject: Re: Hello new Square!!!! Reply with quote

Its been stated that the manifolds are all the same height. There is no short - taller than stock manifolds out there - correct? The only other manifolds are the tall ones for a T1 set up - correct?

I dont have any empi or aftermarket aluminum Type 3 manifolds any more. But I remember them as being the same height as the aftermarket ones.

OK, this thread is over. You win.

Jason "notchboy" Weigel
1964 1500 S
1964 T34 S Convertible
1977 Westfalia Camper pop-top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
oxsign
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 02, 2019 6:53 pm    Post subject: Re: Hello new Square!!!! Reply with quote

Bobnotch wrote:
You know, you might want to look at getting a pair of air cleaners and bases from CB Performance, since you've found you don't have a lot of clearance to the floor. That's the one thing I dislike about the Chinese carb linkage set up for the Chinese Weber ICTs. That bracket stands up, which causes you to have to use an air cleaner that rises up into the space you need. The CB air cleaners drop over the throat, and settle below (just above the float chamber) to give you more room for air cleaner clearance. Just a thought, as I know you're having a clearance issue.

I like the red and white lenses myself. I turn them into side mounted turn signals. Wink
ill have to look in to those from CB. You can see in the pix here I only have about 1.5”. It’s been so long since my last “running type3 that I can’t remember what kinda clearance I’m supposed to have there.

As of right now I have the red/clears on there. Once I get them wired up I plan on doing the same and using them as blinkers.
oxsign
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 02, 2019 6:57 pm    Post subject: Re: Hello new Square!!!! Reply with quote

I got the 2” plugs. I like the overall look of them better vs the caps it had before. I put the clamp on it because I had read that the plugs have a tendency to split/spread the fan housing. I plan on turning them and painting them to match as well.

rustyfastback
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 03, 2019 8:14 am    Post subject: Re: Hello new Square!!!! Reply with quote

I had the same problem with those ICT air cleaners on a friends 1971 fastback. Luckily he had the earlier production filters that had a metal top & bottom with a rubber piece that had a groove to snap on the air filter. I removed the rubber pieces & installed them first, then snapped the air filters on the rubber piece installed on the carbs. I imagine you could search for the earlier production instead of the one piece design.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
rustyfastback
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 03, 2019 8:21 am    Post subject: Re: Hello new Square!!!! Reply with quote

These look like the air filters we used. I know it was Empi brand.
https://classiccarbs.co.uk/product/weber-ict-ich-v...er-cleaner
T3Yoshi
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 03, 2019 10:38 am    Post subject: Re: Hello new Square!!!! Reply with quote

I have the CB ones and they just clear my cargo floor. They feel solid/well made.
I also have an empi ict set of filters and they totally fell apart. Really flimsy. I had to glue them back together because they don't bolt up.

On swing axel, I know you can drop the engine a bit by adding shims to the rear mount and boring out the trans mount a little bit. Maybe theres a way to lower the engine a hair on IRS too?

Nice job on the Square!
Bobnotch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 04, 2019 10:32 am    Post subject: Re: Hello new Square!!!! Reply with quote

T3Yoshi wrote:
I have the CB ones and they just clear my cargo floor. They feel solid/well made.
I also have an empi ict set of filters and they totally fell apart. Really flimsy. I had to glue them back together because they don't bolt up.

On swing axel, I know you can drop the engine a bit by adding shims to the rear mount and boring out the trans mount a little bit. Maybe theres a way to lower the engine a hair on IRS too?

Nice job on the Square!

The problem you run into when dropping the engine, becomes the big cooling boot. You almost need to add a 1 inch lip to the cooling shroud (the black part) in order for the boot to seal.
A better choice is running a different air cleaner, and gaining the room that way. The CB unit sits below the top of the carb a good 1.25 inches.
64 T-34 Ghia...aka Wolfie, under construction... http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=412120
Tram wrote:
Tram wrote:
Bobnotch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 04, 2019 10:35 am    Post subject: Re: Hello new Square!!!! Reply with quote

T3Yoshi wrote:

On an IRS car, you can weld a tab with a bolt hole in it to the top of the engine hanger bar. This will drop the engine. You don't want to use just 1 bolt to hold the engine on each side.
Tram wrote:
Tram wrote:
oxsign
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 04, 2019 6:03 pm    Post subject: Re: Hello new Square!!!! Reply with quote

Ok question, would it be a bad thing to run a set of these? They have a smaller screen on the inside as well. Or a pair of velocity stacks?

blues90
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 04, 2019 7:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Hello new Square!!!! Reply with quote

Car looks good. I'm not much for a lowered car , I am for doing what you want to your own car. You must have to raise the car to do an oil change and it needs to be level to drain the oil and check the oil . Mine in a little higher in the back than the front so if I change oil and add 2.5 quarts and check it the level shows a bit low. I should have made a mark.
Bobnotch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 05, 2019 11:09 am    Post subject: Re: Hello new Square!!!! Reply with quote

These are of when I was running Webers in my 65 Notch. At the time I was setting up to weld the engine hanger bar brackets.

These are the CB Performance air cleaners and ICT kit.
Tram wrote:
Tram wrote:
oxsign
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 06, 2019 2:49 pm    Post subject: Re: Hello new Square!!!! Reply with quote

Gonna buy and replace the brake sending units on the MC tomorrow. I suddenly have no brakes. I've checked all the fuses, bulbs, etc and I can't find anything wrong. Of course those are the only thing I didn't replace when I put the new MC on, lol. Rolling Eyes Laughing
Emeraldlion
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 06, 2019 3:21 pm    Post subject: Re: Hello new Square!!!! Reply with quote

I am assuming you mean no brake lights? Make sure you didn't come unplugged at the split in the engine bay. Mine does that occasionally ally. Little plastic weather protector with a spade connected y split. Just at the firewall at front of engine(towards front of car) typically just right of center.
oxsign
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 06, 2019 3:46 pm    Post subject: Re: Hello new Square!!!! Reply with quote

Emeraldlion wrote:
I am assuming you mean no brake lights? Make sure you didn't come unplugged at the split in the engine bay. Mine does that occasionally ally. Little plastic weather protector with a spade connected y split. Just at the firewall at front of engine(towards front of car) typically just right of center.
Yes, brake lights, sorry. I'll give that a check and see. Thanks for that info.
vwfye
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 06, 2019 4:56 pm    Post subject: Re: Hello new Square!!!! Reply with quote

Looks good! I need an altitude adjustment too in my 71 square. Thanks for the motivation!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
oxsign
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 07, 2019 9:49 am    Post subject: Re: Hello new Square!!!! Reply with quote

vwfye wrote:
Looks good! I need an altitude adjustment too in my 71 square. Thanks for the motivation!
thank you, and get at it!!!! Lol. I can’t say much, it sat for a good year before I really got motivated to do it in the last 4-6 months.
oxsign
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 07, 2019 9:52 am    Post subject: Re: Hello new Square!!!! Reply with quote

Ok so, I did the jumper thing on the sending units on the MC and not brake lights. I checked the “bridge/jumper” at the back by the motor and still no brakes. I do have tail lights, turn signals, hazards, and reverse lights. I just don’t have any brake lights. Fuses all are good and making proper contact.

I guess the next thing would be to try and chase the wire(s) and see if there’s a brake in there somewhere??
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Type 3 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 5, 6, 7 ... 9, 10, 11  Next
Jump to:
Page 6 of 11

Jump to: