Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Hello new Square!!!!
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 8, 9, 10, 11  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Type 3 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
oxsign
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 09, 2019 5:35 pm    Post subject: Re: Hello new Square!!!! Reply with quote

On another note, I got smaller tires for the squareback. Went from a 205/70/15 to a 185/65/15. Big difference in the ride. With the bigger tires I needed 80psi in the rear air shocks to keep it from rubbing. That made for a little stiffer ride and the car had a much bigger “rake” to it when driving. Now I can get away with 30psi with no rubbing whatsoever and giving the car a much more level look. In the double pic below, top was aired out sitting on the inner fender (not drivable). In the bottom picture is with the new tires and ride height with no rubbing. You can see about a 2” difference in the tires.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
blues90
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 10, 2019 11:16 am    Post subject: Re: Hello new Square!!!! Reply with quote

Wait, you go from wiring to tires.

I read so many topics with questions that end up with absolutely no conclusion. Many people watch a topic or search because they are dealing with a similar issue and find no answer. It's all over the map and down the drain.
Mike Fisher
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 10, 2019 12:58 pm    Post subject: Re: Hello new Square!!!! Reply with quote

blues90 wrote:

I read so many topics with questions that end up with absolutely no conclusion. Many people watch a topic or search because they are dealing with a similar issue and find no answer. It's all over the map and down the drain.

This is his 9 page Build Thread & he's allowed to talk about anything he wants to on his VW.
two 57 oval ragtops sold
'68 Karmann Ghia sold

Society is like stew. If you don't keep it stirred up you end up with a lot of scum on the top! - Russ_Wolfe/Edward Abbey
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
blues90
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 10, 2019 1:55 pm    Post subject: Re: Hello new Square!!!! Reply with quote

Not really my point , whatever.
oxsign
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 10, 2019 2:05 pm    Post subject: Re: Hello new Square!!!! Reply with quote

blues90 wrote:
i tried to do separate topics but was told my forum admin to keep it all together causing this confusion, sorry.

Tires were ordered before any issues came up about the wiring. They came in so I had them mounted. Still working on the wiring though. Hang in there.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
oxsign
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 10, 2019 2:06 pm    Post subject: Re: Hello new Square!!!! Reply with quote

blues90 wrote:

what similar issue are you having? Maybe we can help each other out.
blues90
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 10, 2019 2:53 pm    Post subject: Re: Hello new Square!!!! Reply with quote

oxsign wrote:
blues90 wrote:

what similar issue are you having? Maybe we can help each other out.

I wasn't talking about me or my car , I don't have wiring issues. I also realize many are told including myself not to post relative topics by tossing out a new topic .

What I was referring to is there may be others with similar issues reading the the topic which from what I see there are many with electrical issues where the wiring is messed up then do a search and find quite a few pages that in no way relate to any info they were looking for. I've done searches , found the same thing. Perhaps it's the title of the post that makes searching work this way. I also see questions asked answers and help given and who knows what the outcome was , many never say.

No I don't have wiring issues the issue I have is what I stated above , it's nothing personal and in all fairness none of my business or my forum . I see page 9 and sort of expected to see you found part of the electrical issue your car has, that's all.
blues90
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 10, 2019 2:57 pm    Post subject: Re: Hello new Square!!!! Reply with quote

oxsign wrote:
blues90 wrote:
i tried to do separate topics but was told my forum admin to keep it all together causing this confusion, sorry.

Tires were ordered before any issues came up about the wiring. They came in so I had them mounted. Still working on the wiring though. Hang in there.

You don't owe me an explanation.
oxsign
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 10, 2019 4:50 pm    Post subject: Re: Hello new Square!!!! Reply with quote

Ok, so on to the air cleaner issue. I got these in today and they fit great. Ideally I would like some velocity stacks, but these fit pretty good.

Question, would the linkage on these carbs keep a stock oil bath filter from working on these carbs?? Just wondering. I think it would be cool to figure out a custom made version of of it to be able to use the air intake to feed them “cool/fresh” air vs the hot air whipping around in that engine compartment.
blues90
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 10, 2019 5:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Hello new Square!!!! Reply with quote

I have no idea. All I can offer is ISP West sometimes has the stock setup air filter system as well as the linkage. Pretty sure you need either different carbs
since they have a way to secure the stock oil bath to the top of the carbs.

Seems like lots of people run it the way you have yours. ISP West does have better cooling fan end plugs more like rubber expansion type freeze plugs.

Saw a video on you tube with a fellow who has a fastback and set up all sorts of temp gauges . from what I recall it was mainly @ idle the temps rose yet he had the cooling fan ducted to the heat exchangers which you don't have.

I was told here years ago the heat exchangers lower head temps quite a bit so I put mine back on.
Bobnotch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 11, 2019 10:39 am    Post subject: Re: Hello new Square!!!! Reply with quote

oxsign wrote:

Question, would the linkage on these carbs keep a stock oil bath filter from working on these carbs?? Just wondering.

I think it would be cool to figure out a custom made version of of it to be able to use the air intake to feed them “cool/fresh” air vs the hot air whipping around in that engine compartment.

Yes, that linkage interferes with those carbs.

Take a look at what Mark (W1K1) did in his 65 Square, as he made his own air cleaner assembly. Also, do a search, as others have played around with different ideas too.
64 T-34 Ghia...aka Wolfie, under construction... http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=412120
Tram wrote:
"Friends are God's way of apologizing for relatives."
Tram wrote:
People keep confusing "restored" and "restroyed".
KTPhil Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 11, 2019 11:58 am    Post subject: Re: Hello new Square!!!! Reply with quote

If you are using this thread as a build thread, with the topic changing over time, remember that you can edit the post title; maybe add something like "update, new wheels" for example.
oxsign
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 13, 2019 1:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Hello new Square!!!! Reply with quote

OK, so after taking a few days to look at the ‘71 & ‘72 wiring diagrams it does seem like mine is a ‘71. It does have the green that goes to my emergency flasher switch (those work). BUT in the end I found that the 3rd tab from the right doesn’t have the wire that comes from the coil. I ran a quick wire from “A-B” and it all works again!!!! So I took the time to run a wire (cause I couldn’t find it, like it just disappeared) and everything seems to be work as it should. Even the blower fan at the windshield is working. I got it insured yesterday morning and actually drove it 60mi round trip to work. It did great and I had actually forgotten how much fun it was to drive a VW. It’s been a little on the hot side here in FL (low to mid 90s) so I probably won’t be driving it to work any time soon again. I’m still in the “break in” period on the motor and I don’t want to mess anything up.

oxsign
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 13, 2019 1:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Hello new Square!!!! Reply with quote

Here it is sitting in the rain yesterday at work all alone lol.

oxsign
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 20, 2019 5:01 pm    Post subject: Re: Hello new Square!!!! Reply with quote

I found out driving in the rain the other day that my "defrost" works, lol.

I also looked around at some spare parts I have laying around (doors/fenders) and found I had 1 complete side of trim/molding. I really like the look of it and I need to find the other side somewhere now (please let me know if you has some you want to get rid of).

oxsign
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 20, 2019 5:04 pm    Post subject: Re: Hello new Square!!!! Reply with quote

I collect Hotwheels and I had a buddy make me a custom of my Squareback and I decided to do a little photo shoot. Then my boy Frankie decided to get nosy, lol.

oxsign
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 20, 2019 5:06 pm    Post subject: Re: Hello new Square!!!! Reply with quote

I was also sent another "teaser" pic from the photo shoot yesterday.

KTPhil Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 20, 2019 5:12 pm    Post subject: Re: Hello new Square!!!! Reply with quote

oxsign wrote:

Actually, judging from the areas of the windshield that is clear, that's the fresh air vent outlets clearing two spots!

The actual defroster has three... center, and the two corners. You have to turn the front heater up full blast, and close the floor foot vents, to get maximum defrosting. After a while, opening the fresh air vents will help pass fresh air through the cabin, minimizing further frosting.
oxsign
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 20, 2019 7:32 pm    Post subject: Re: Hello new Square!!!! Reply with quote

KTPhil wrote:
oxsign wrote:

Actually, judging from the areas of the windshield that is clear, that's the fresh air vent outlets clearing two spots!

The actual defroster has three... center, and the two corners. You have to turn the front heater up full blast, and close the floor foot vents, to get maximum defrosting. After a while, opening the fresh air vents will help pass fresh air through the cabin, minimizing further frosting.
Well that's not going to work since I have J tubes now, lol. You're right though now that I think about it, it is the fresh air vent, lol. As long as it clears a spot to see, i'm good. The fan has the 2 speeds on it too. I need to get the hose that goes under the dash for that as well.
Bobnotch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 21, 2019 5:51 am    Post subject: Re: Hello new Square!!!! Reply with quote

Open the wing windows. That's always worked for me. And the fresh air motor is supposed to be 3 speeds...barely any air with some noise, some air with more noise, more air with a lot of noise. Laughing
64 T-34 Ghia...aka Wolfie, under construction... http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=412120
Tram wrote:
"Friends are God's way of apologizing for relatives."
Tram wrote:
People keep confusing "restored" and "restroyed".
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Type 3 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 8, 9, 10, 11  Next
Jump to:
Page 9 of 11

Jump to: