Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Hello new Square!!!!
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 9, 10, 11  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Type 3 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
old_man
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 21, 2019 7:34 am    Post subject: Re: Hello new Square!!!! Reply with quote

I have to ask, what's wrapped around your steering wheel?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
oxsign
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 21, 2019 12:57 pm    Post subject: Re: Hello new Square!!!! Reply with quote

old_man wrote:
I have to ask, what's wrapped around your steering wheel?
It seems to be an old wheel wrap from way back in the days that's coming apart, lol. I just haven't taken it off.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
oxsign
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 21, 2019 12:59 pm    Post subject: Re: Hello new Square!!!! Reply with quote

Bobnotch wrote:
Open the wing windows. That's always worked for me. And the fresh air motor is supposed to be 3 speeds...barely any air with some noise, some air with more noise, more air with a lot of noise. Laughing
LMAO Laughing
The wing windows work great, but when it's pouring rain, not so good, lol. This motor only has the 2sp (that work anyways) and it is noisy, but it does seem to blow pretty good. At least enough to clear the window so I can see during the rain, lol.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
KTPhil Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 21, 2019 1:39 pm    Post subject: Re: Hello new Square!!!! Reply with quote

Bobnotch wrote:
Open the wing windows. That's always worked for me. And the fresh air motor is supposed to be 3 speeds...barely any air with some noise, some air with more noise, more air with a lot of noise. Laughing

Yes, vent wings do in general help extract stale/damp air from the car when cracked open, and draw air across the windshield corners as they do so, helping clear the windshield.
My blower is 2-speed, 3-position (off/low/high) but pretty pathetic at actually moving air. Noisy as hell, but they are all like that, apparently.

oxsign wrote:
[he wing windows work great, but when it's pouring rain, not so good, lol.

You're not driving fast enough, then!
oxsign
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 22, 2019 4:59 pm    Post subject: Re: Hello new Square!!!! Reply with quote

So I needed a 12v source to be able to charge my phone, but I didn’t want an “out of place” looking thing hanging on my dash. So I went and got a cig lighter with the “old school” looking cig on it. I had and old headlight button and trimmed it up to fit around the cig lighter. Almost a perfect fit and blends in rather well with the rest of the dash. I’ll need to scuff it up some cause it looks a little new compared lol. I had a spot on the dash that had a block off plate and just used that spot.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

oxsign
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 10, 2019 2:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Hello new Square!!!! Reply with quote

So what have you guys done to repair/replace this part under the rear seat? I'm hoping to repair the floor in the next couple weeks.

BornMexican
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 10, 2019 11:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Hello new Square!!!! Reply with quote

Great build and great information on the thread. Keep up the great work!
Mike Fisher
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 11, 2019 10:00 am    Post subject: Re: Hello new Square!!!! Reply with quote

oxsign wrote:
So what have you guys done to repair/replace this part under the rear seat? I'm hoping to repair the floor in the next couple weeks.

You have to fab a new sheet metal patch for the lower 1/2 & weld it onto the top 1/2.
Yours looks so bad I might cut them out & have a Sheet Metal Shop build whole new seat supports?
two 57 oval ragtops sold
'68 Karmann Ghia sold

Society is like stew. If you don't keep it stirred up you end up with a lot of scum on the top! - Russ_Wolfe/Edward Abbey
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Bobnotch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 11, 2019 11:33 am    Post subject: Re: Hello new Square!!!! Reply with quote

Mike Fisher wrote:
oxsign wrote:

You have to fab a new sheet metal patch for the lower 1/2 & weld it onto the top 1/2.
Yours looks so bad I might cut them out & have a Sheet Metal Shop build whole new seat supports?

Yup, what Mike said. Cut out the rust, make some patch panels to your new floor section, and weld them in.
I've repaired that area on 4 different type 3s, and even my old T-34. It's a common spot to go.
You could do as mike suggested about having a shop fab some pieces, but keep in mind there's a support bracket for the rear seat in there that connects to the floor.
Yours doesn't look bad, and I have seen worse (my 71 Notch).
64 T-34 Ghia...aka Wolfie, under construction... http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=412120
Tram wrote:
"Friends are God's way of apologizing for relatives."
Tram wrote:
People keep confusing "restored" and "restroyed".
oxsign
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 22, 2019 10:31 am    Post subject: Re: Hello new Square!!!! Reply with quote

Well, it's back in the shop again. The inside of the gas tank started "shedding" (only way I can think of right now, lol) and clogged up the entire fuel system. Evil or Very Mad

I did flush/rinse out the tank several times with a chain & many different chemicals (different things I found in the group while searching that others had done), but it turns out that it still came apart inside enough to clog things up. So now the carbs are being cleaned out, the fuel line are being flushed out and the tank is getting a fuel cell liner/coating. I was hoping to buy a new tank, but those are out of stock everywhere. So, hopefully in the next week or so i'll get it back and be able to enjoy it again.

On a side note, has anyone ever installed heaters/coolers in the seat foam when recovering the seats??
Bobnotch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 23, 2019 10:21 am    Post subject: Re: Hello new Square!!!! Reply with quote

oxsign wrote:
Well, it's back in the shop again. The inside of the gas tank started "shedding" (only way I can think of right now, lol) and clogged up the entire fuel system. Evil or Very Mad

I did flush/rinse out the tank several times with a chain & many different chemicals (different things I found in the group while searching that others had done), but it turns out that it still came apart inside enough to clog things up. So now the carbs are being cleaned out, the fuel line are being flushed out and the tank is getting a fuel cell liner/coating. I was hoping to buy a new tank, but those are out of stock everywhere. So, hopefully in the next week or so i'll get it back and be able to enjoy it again.

On a side note, has anyone ever installed heaters/coolers in the seat foam when recovering the seats??

That's why I don't recommend sealing a tank with one of those "tank sealer kits". If your tank isn't rusted thru, use Ray's method of converting the rust to something inert, or find a better tank.

A friend of mine had exactly what you described happen to him, but his car also got rear ended (when it stopped on a busy road). He was bummed for a solid week after it happened. I had him bring the car over, and I half quartered it, along with straightening out the balance, then shot it, so you'd never know it had been hit. He bought a new tank, flushed the fuel lines, and cleaned the carb, and the fuel pump, as the tank sealer found it's way thru everything fuel related. This was on a 71 Mercury Comet. It sucked, but it also taught him a lesson. Don't mess with an old fuel tank on a car you just dumped 10+K into.
64 T-34 Ghia...aka Wolfie, under construction... http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=412120
Tram wrote:
Tram wrote:
oxsign
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 24, 2019 9:26 am    Post subject: Re: Hello new Square!!!! Reply with quote

Bobnotch wrote:
oxsign wrote:

That's why I don't recommend sealing a tank with one of those "tank sealer kits". If your tank isn't rusted thru, use Ray's method of converting the rust to something inert, or find a better tank.

A friend of mine had exactly what you described happen to him, but his car also got rear ended (when it stopped on a busy road). He was bummed for a solid week after it happened. I had him bring the car over, and I half quartered it, along with straightening out the balance, then shot it, so you'd never know it had been hit. He bought a new tank, flushed the fuel lines, and cleaned the carb, and the fuel pump, as the tank sealer found it's way thru everything fuel related. This was on a 71 Mercury Comet. It sucked, but it also taught him a lesson. Don't mess with an old fuel tank on a car you just dumped 10+K into.
Didn't have a sealer in it. The tank itself is what caused the problem from the inside.
Clatter
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 24, 2019 5:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Hello new Square!!!! Reply with quote

The crap in the tank will eventually find it’s way thru.

Nothing like the sloshing that results from actual driving to make sure -ANY- missed piece of trash gets loose..

X2 on ‘don’t take the bait’ with those tank sealers.

Just make sure to get another fuel sock and in-line filter for the next change coming soon.

Once you suss ‘em, they’re fine! Cool

What’s That Noise?!?
Bobnotch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 25, 2019 7:07 am    Post subject: Re: Hello new Square!!!! Reply with quote

Clatter wrote:
The crap in the tank will eventually find it’s way thru.

Nothing like the sloshing that results from actual driving to make sure -ANY- missed piece of trash gets loose..

X2 on ‘don’t take the bait’ with those tank sealers.

Just make sure to get another fuel sock and in-line filter for the next change coming soon.

Once you suss ‘em, they’re fine! Cool

Yup, a chain works good for knocking flaky rust loose. So do decent sized rocks. Then do Ray's tank treatment to keep the rust at bay. VW even suggests doing it with a chain, then the stuff Ray recommends, or if you're not going to use the tank right away, using soluble oil to coat the inside of it. It's in the Blue Bentley fuel section. I mentioned it here on the Samba back when Russ was still alive.
Tram wrote:
Tram wrote:
oxsign
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 05, 2019 12:31 pm    Post subject: Re: Hello new Square!!!! Reply with quote

Sorry I haven’t updated this. I’ve been to busy enjoying driving the hell out of it, lol. I just bought a new set of carbs after we cleaned out the entire fuel system and it’s been running strong. Still working on cosmetic stuff here and there. Put in a floor section last week from under the pass seat back to the battery. So no more bad rusted holes in the floor. I’m still looking for 1 full side of trim (rear/front & door). At a show last week someone took my antenna. Who steals an antenna, at a show?!?! 🤦🏻‍♂️🤷🏻‍♂️ So I’ll need another one of those. Or maybe a “block off” if they make those. Getting ready to make some interior panels for it too.
oxsign
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 24, 2020 6:58 pm    Post subject: Re: Hello new Square!!!! Reply with quote

Just posting some recent pix of the Squareback. Been driving the hell out of it and enjoying every moment of it. Got a floor pan section and fixed the big hole in the floor. Got air shocks at all 4 corners with a full air ride setup. Just got in all new rubber for the windows. I’m just looking to find a windshield. Just been doing little odds & ends to it, but enjoying driving it.

I did have to buy a new set of carbs (Empi) but would like to find some Baby Dells or something else. But they work for now. Also got my personalized keychain and the plate is on the way (Pignose) 😂👍🏼 On to some pix.

oxsign
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 20, 2020 6:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Hello new Square!!!! Reply with quote

Went ahead and swapped out seats in my Squareback today. They’re out of a Kia SUV I found at the junkyard. They sit about 2” taller than stock but it’s actually nice. The armrest is what sold it for me, lol. I'll take them back out tomorrow to give them a good cleaning. I just wanted to get them fitted and in. I’ll get them recovered sometime later.

I sat it on the floor but it was to low. Then I put a couple 2x4s under it and it was still to low. So I decided to take the stock base and set them on there. At first it was just to high. The I took the seat tracks off and it sat pretty flat on the base. I removed the headrest cause it really sat tall in there.

oxsign
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 29, 2020 1:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Hello new Square!!!! Reply with quote

OK, back with a few more updates. For my birthday, my wife got me a set of Cosmic wheels (love her for that, lol). I wrapped the roof of the SB in a pearl tangerine. I've sealed and put Fatmat throughout the car. I used some polish and buffed it all out. Night & day difference. I found some OG mud flaps for it but still need to fab up some brackets for them. Built a 4th order sub box for a single 10" sub. I'm still enjoying the hell out of it and someone got a pic from a local hotrod show I rolled through a couple weeks back.

Still got a few more things to do to it, but it's all "little by little" right?
Bobnotch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 29, 2020 2:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Hello new Square!!!! Reply with quote

The wrap came out looking really good. Quicker and easier than paint too. Wink
Tram wrote:
Tram wrote:
oxsign
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 29, 2020 2:24 pm    Post subject: Re: Hello new Square!!!! Reply with quote

Bobnotch wrote:
The wrap came out looking really good. Quicker and easier than paint too. Wink
Easier & cheaper to change colors when I get bored of it too, lol.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Type 3 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 9, 10, 11  Next
Jump to:
Page 10 of 11

Jump to: