Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Hello new Square!!!!
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, ... 9, 10, 11  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Type 3 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
oxsign
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 02, 2017 9:50 am    Post subject: Re: Hello new Square!!!! Reply with quote

Ordered a bunch of brake stuff (drum rebuild kits, hoses, cylinders, shoes, etc) and i'll get to fixing all that shortly.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
oxsign
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2018 1:04 pm    Post subject: Re: Hello new Square!!!! Reply with quote

Just an update and to log progress. I installed all the brake components I ordered and went to start bleeding the system and come to find a crack in the main line going from the front to the rear brakes, lol. So no I’ll be taking out the seats and cleaning out the floors while I’m at it and try to find where the “crack” is at. I know it’s there because I have fluid coming along the drivers side along the edge there.

Otherwise, I’ve also taken the motor out of the Fasty and have it up on the stand. I’m going through it just make sure all is good before I put it in to the Squareback.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Bobnotch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2018 3:56 pm    Post subject: Re: Hello new Square!!!! Reply with quote

oxsign wrote:
Just an update and to log progress. I installed all the brake components I ordered and went to start bleeding the system and come to find a crack in the main line going from the front to the rear brakes, lol. So no I’ll be taking out the seats and cleaning out the floors while I’m at it and try to find where the “crack” is at. I know it’s there because I have fluid coming along the drivers side along the edge there.

Otherwise, I’ve also taken the motor out of the Fasty and have it up on the stand. I’m going through it just make sure all is good before I put it in to the Squareback.

Pull the seats and carpet out. Replace that long line with 2 pieces of metric brake line about 50 inches long and a coupler. Most likely your leak is under the pedal cluster as that's where they all like to go. By going with a 2 piece line set up, you can get the line into both ends easier first, then join them in the middle. This way if you ever need to replace the front section again, you only have to replace that part of it.
I only mention this, as trying to get the rear line connected to the "T" can be a royal PIA. It has to enter/exit the car at an angle just to get to the "T". And even if you start with attaching the rear, the front can be a PIA to feed thru the double wall up front.
64 T-34 Ghia...aka Wolfie, under construction... http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=412120
Tram wrote:
"Friends are God's way of apologizing for relatives."
Tram wrote:
People keep confusing "restored" and "restroyed".
oxsign
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2018 1:22 pm    Post subject: Re: Hello new Square!!!! Reply with quote

Bobnotch wrote:
oxsign wrote:

Pull the seats and carpet out. Replace that long line with 2 pieces of metric brake line about 50 inches long and a coupler. Most likely your leak is under the pedal cluster as that's where they all like to go. By going with a 2 piece line set up, you can get the line into both ends easier first, then join them in the middle. This way if you ever need to replace the front section again, you only have to replace that part of it.
I only mention this, as trying to get the rear line connected to the "T" can be a royal PIA. It has to enter/exit the car at an angle just to get to the "T". And even if you start with attaching the rear, the front can be a PIA to feed thru the double wall up front.
I do understand what you're saying. That would work out too. The leak is coming from under the drivers seat forward (I can see it running/leaking). The MC seems to be working, at least it's pulling fluid to the back till it hits that bad spot in the line.
69 Notchback
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2018 3:42 pm    Post subject: Re: Hello new Square!!!! Reply with quote

Looking good.
oxsign
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 24, 2018 6:04 pm    Post subject: Re: Hello new Square!!!! Reply with quote

69 Notchback wrote:
Looking good.
Thanks, it's getting there. The plan is to make it to T3 invasion this year in June.
Hip2besquare
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 26, 2018 9:18 am    Post subject: Re: Hello new Square!!!! Reply with quote

how was it replacing the headlight switch I just posted a new thread on trying to find one but havent gotten any responses yet. what was wrong with yours and can you find new ones. Oh by the way kudos to you for saving another great little car.

Richie NY
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
oxsign
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 26, 2018 1:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Hello new Square!!!! Reply with quote

Hip2besquare wrote:
how was it replacing the headlight switch I just posted a new thread on trying to find one but havent gotten any responses yet. what was wrong with yours and can you find new ones. Oh by the way kudos to you for saving another great little car.

Richie NY
Thanks. It wasn't very difficult at all really. I have a '71 Fastback that i'm using as parts. So I just took that one and swapped the wires over 1 by 1.
oxsign
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2018 3:49 pm    Post subject: Re: Hello new Square!!!! Reply with quote

Ok, as I stripped out the Fastback for parts (switches, ignition, etc, '71 parts) I realized that the door seals were actually in really great condition. Nice and soft & flexible. So I took them too and put them on the Squareback.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Then i ordered some parts for it too. Stuff I ordered was..
Rear hatch seal
engine lid seal
Front hood seal
Dash (I know, it'll need some work to fit right)
headlight/taillight/turn signal seals

All I got in was the rear hatch & engine lid seal. So I went ahead and fitted them in, but not permanently because I will be taking off to completely clean it all properly. I just wanted to fit them and make sure they fit and "form" since they are all folded when shipped. Got the seam at the top too.

As you can see from one of the pix above, I also pulled the engine from the Fastback and got it installed in the Squareback (air cleaners are not what will be used obviously). i still have some wiring to do to get it running, but I hope to have it running next weekend.

I'm also debating on keeping the A/C since its 99% all there. I'll need to buy another under dash piece as well as a compressor. But if I do, that'll be a little later down the line.
oxsign
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2018 3:55 pm    Post subject: Re: Hello new Square!!!! Reply with quote

I also stripped out all the interior and scrapped out/off all the "padding/insulation that was on the pan. Turns out there is a little more rust than expected but a fraction of what the Fastback had. This won't be an issue to deal with or fix.

I took out the factory (or the one that was in it) radio and hooked it up to a battery and speaker and it still works great, lol.

I also decided to take a couple pictures of the Squareback as well now that I have room in the garage to get a full picture of it with the Fastback gone. This is how it sits as of today.

Mike Fisher
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2018 5:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Hello new Square!!!! Reply with quote

You gonna mount the coil to the right fan housing there? It is the perfect spot for the coil on our pancake engines if we don't have the stock black air cleaner in that spot! Up by the left carburetor is fine too but down on the right fan housing is my favorite. You don't need air conditioning? Twisted Evil

Wet sand your paint with 2000 grit & then polish it. We've seen a couple real success stories smoothing/polishing stock paint here recently! Cool
two 57 oval ragtops sold
'68 Karmann Ghia sold

Society is like stew. If you don't keep it stirred up you end up with a lot of scum on the top! - Russ_Wolfe/Edward Abbey
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
oxsign
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2018 5:37 pm    Post subject: Re: Hello new Square!!!! Reply with quote

No, not sure just yet where I’ll put it. The motor was just put in and a lot of that is still just “sitting there” right now.

In Florida A/C is a very nice thing to have and is the reason I’ve decided to not just rip it out. I need to do some more research on A/C in/on these air cooled motors. I was told recently that there are newer compressors out that don’t take up the HP and create such a burden on them. I’ll also need to buy a new under dash section. I’ve seen new ones at the local VW shop here in town.

I’d say about 85% of the paint is all there. There are a few spots on it that are cracked or missing due to rust spots. I didn’t think of sanding it with 2k grit.
oxsign
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2018 9:28 am    Post subject: Re: Hello new Square!!!! Reply with quote

Ok, got my new dash in and it was a lot easier than I thought it would be to install and fit much better too. Wife got it for me as a Bday gift from JBugs.

Once I get the gauges put back in it’ll hold it in place a little better in that area. Otherwise, I’m very happy with it. There are a few things I would’ve done had I thought about it. Such as putting something stiff behind the speaker area. Those are so thin and “floppy” that it just doesn’t look right all uneven like that. Oh well, maybe I can get to it from the back side.
andybla
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2018 9:37 am    Post subject: Re: Hello new Square!!!! Reply with quote

Normally if you remove the ash tray, you can access the speaker part
Bobnotch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2018 12:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Hello new Square!!!! Reply with quote

The reason that pad fit so well, is because it was designed as a replacement for the 71 -73 cars. Looks good on there too. Very Happy
64 T-34 Ghia...aka Wolfie, under construction... http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=412120
Tram wrote:
"Friends are God's way of apologizing for relatives."
Tram wrote:
People keep confusing "restored" and "restroyed".
oxsign
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2018 12:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Hello new Square!!!! Reply with quote

Nothing like feeling motivated and ordering parts only to figure out they're wrong when you try to instal them, lol. Ordered some steel braided lines front/rear and the rear are 1.5" to short and won't reach the bracket on the arm. Parts were ordered through cip1, not sure if that's good nor not, lol. I'll replace the fronts and figure something out later with the rears. The rubber ones are completely blocked with black "goop" and I can't even blow threw them with 100psi lol.

I've gotten the squareback running and I have the floor sections on hand as well to cut and replace the rusted parts. I'm just now getting motivated to get back on it again. I did completely replace all the steel brake lines throughout the car removing the bad stuff that had pin holes in it.
rocketeer928
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2018 2:37 pm    Post subject: Re: Hello new Square!!!! Reply with quote

Thoroughly enjoying reading your thread. Glad the Squareback is running.
dlmcclou
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2018 7:16 pm    Post subject: Re: Hello new Square!!!! Reply with quote

Great looking project man. Keep up the awesome work.
gt1953
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2018 7:46 am    Post subject: Re: Hello new Square!!!! Reply with quote

Howdy...my brake like items came from the local FLAPS. Easy to return with a restock no fee that CIP1 charges.

72 type 1
72 Squareback
({59 Euro bug, 62, 63, 67, 68, 69, 73 type ones 68 & 69 type two, 68 Ghia all sold})
oxsign
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 23, 2018 6:25 pm    Post subject: Re: Hello new Square!!!! Reply with quote

gt1953 wrote:
Howdy...my brake like items came from the local FLAPS. Easy to return with a restock no fee that CIP1 charges.
Hello, thanks. I sent an email, but Im gonna give them a call to go over with them. i went to a local shop and was able to get what i needed from them. So we're back on track again.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Type 3 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, ... 9, 10, 11  Next
Jump to:
Page 2 of 11

Jump to: