Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Matra VW 282d 282b and 282b1 Bus Trailing Arm Tool Questions
Forum Index -> Accessories/Memorabilia/Toys Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
easy e
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 31, 2017 4:43 pm    Post subject: Matra VW 282d 282b and 282b1 Bus Trailing Arm Tool Questions Reply with quote

I'm looking to know what each tool is used for split bus trailing arms.
Specifically... use of collets/sleeves, etc.
Why two rods?

The 282b has two holes: (1) 43mm dia. and (1) 50 mm dia.
The 282b1 has (2) 43 mm dia. holes.

An early trailing arm is 43 mm at both bushing locations. (Barndoor, I'm not sure about)
A late trailing arm is 43 mm inside... and 48 mm outside (at the roller bearing race).

This pic shows the 282b (one small hole on left... big hole on the right)... and uses collets / sleeves.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

This pic shows the 282b1... two 43 mm holes
I think it's a b1 because all the trailing arms are same dia. at both bushing contact locations and the "M" of "MADE" text lines up under the "V" in VW (more on that below). But, late trailing arm races could have been removed.
Note: there are apparently no collets / sleeves in the tool.

63-67 Bentley shows short rod being used on the lower trailing arm... and apparently a collet over on the right side.

Here's a "b1" and a "b" side by side (you can see how the "M" of "MADE IN" is either under the "V" or "W":

Last edited by easy e on Wed Nov 01, 2017 9:43 am; edited 1 time in total
hazetguy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 01, 2017 8:49 am    Post subject: Re: Matra VW 282b and 282b1 Bus Trailing Arm Tool Questions Reply with quote

in the pic above, i was checking early arms w/ 20mm link pins. can't remember if they were barndoor or not.
i think the "later" tool has sleeves to put on the early arms to take up the space, and a larger opening because the later trailing arms could have that bearing race sleeve on it already. later arms also have 22mm link pins, so the rod would have a larger diameter where it fits in that bore.
i also think the one with sleeves can be used to check type 1 trailing arms? i's been a while since i've used that, so i'm just going off memory right now.
easy e
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 01, 2017 9:36 am    Post subject: Re: Matra VW 282b and 282b1 Bus Trailing Arm Tool Questions Reply with quote

hazetguy wrote:
in the pic above, i was checking early arms w/ 20mm link pins. can't remember if they were barndoor or not.
i think the "later" tool has sleeves to put on the early arms to take up the space, and a larger opening because the later trailing arms could have that bearing race sleeve on it already. later arms also have 22mm link pins, so the rod would have a larger diameter where it fits in that bore.
i also think the one with sleeves can be used to check type 1 trailing arms? i's been a while since i've used that, so i'm just going off memory right now.
I got on to this topic because I have a couple of the black boxes of sleeves... and was trying to determine what ones should go with the 282d... and what ones I could pair with my 282b's (to try to make them more complete).

The black box of sleeves, part of 282d kit.

282d

Here's a close up of the sticker on the 282d:

I had a couple loose sleeves that were 37 ID x 43 OD.
Apparently these could be used in the "b1" tool... to measure beetle arms.
Note in the decal photo that the Type 1 sleeves are mostly 37mm... so makes sense.

The OD of all the 282d sleeves are 50mm.
This would make them usable in the "b" bigger hole.

What's odd is the 282d sticker says Type 1, 2 and 3 (and has all the corresponding sleeves) but, the binder sheet doesn't list Type 2 with an "x."

And... the 282b only lists Type 2 but, apparently can work for Type 1 when using the 37x43 sleeve.
(left hole 43 mm.... right hole 50 mm)
Maybe sleeve sizes in the pic are:
43 x 37 (for left side, Type 1)
50 x 37 (for right side, Type 1)
50 x 43 (for right side, Type 2, or to act like sleeve #10 on the 282d sticker)
fourth sleeve = ?

The "b" tool and it's 50 mm right side hole... is just 2 mm bigger than the late bus (needle bearing) race OD of 48mm. I'm not sure if the race needs to come off to check these trailing arms. Apparently so, since there's no 2mm thick sleeve.
perello
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 07, 2017 12:58 am    Post subject: Re: Matra VW 282d 282b and 282b1 Bus Trailing Arm Tool Questions Reply with quote

mines looks pretty similar to yours, the sticker refers only to type 1 and 3

My 282b (not b1) is 43 mm both holes.

Ok, if I understand correctly early bus tailing arms are 43 and 50. So the 50mm side does not need a sleeve?

easy e
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 07, 2017 6:27 am    Post subject: Re: Matra VW 282d 282b and 282b1 Bus Trailing Arm Tool Questions Reply with quote

perello wrote:
mines looks pretty similar to yours, the sticker refers only to type 1 and 3

My 282b (not b1) is 43 mm both holes.

Ok, if I understand correctly early bus tailing arms are 43 and 50. So the 50mm side does not need a sleeve?

Wow... so, there are two different types of "b" tools (not counting the "b1").
It's getting more confusing.

The two pictures you have, of the sleeves and locating sketch for the decal, are both part of the 282d kit.

This confuses me a little... because you mention having a smaller type "b" tool.

All of those sleeves in the box (except the #21 one in the lower right) have an O.D. of 50 mm and can't be used in your "b" tool with 43 mm I.D. holes. The #21 has an I.D. of 50 mm... it must fit on one of the sleeves.

Early & mid bus trailing arm is 43 mm O.D. at the inner & outer bushing locations.
Bus trailing arm, if late (needle bearing style), would have an outer 48 mm O.D. bearing race on the 43 mm shaft. Basically, a 5 mm thick piece of precision pipe is slid on the trailing arm (to be a needle bearing race).

For a 282b tool (43 mm hole on the left & 50 mm hole on the right).... the left side apparently does not need a collar. I think the right side would use a 50x43 collar and maybe also use the thin #21 collar (in the lower right of your pic) to center the late style bus trailing arm. But, not exactly sure.
perello
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 09, 2017 12:44 am    Post subject: Re: Matra VW 282d 282b and 282b1 Bus Trailing Arm Tool Questions Reply with quote

thanks for the inputs!

this is my 282b with two arms and a single set of sleeves

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Accessories/Memorabilia/Toys All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: