Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Early 1955 3 fold sunroof rails
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Beetle - Oval-Window - 1953-57 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
nlorntson
Crazy VW Lady

PostPosted: Wed Nov 08, 2017 2:54 pm    Post subject: Early 1955 3 fold sunroof rails Reply with quote

What range year did the sunroof rails with the plastic insert run? 1952 to early 55 or something else?

Would a May 1955 have rails with the insert or rails without the insert?

Picture borrowed from gallery:

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Mark Evans Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 08, 2017 3:55 pm    Post subject: Re: Early 1955 3 fold sunroof rails Reply with quote

I also have a May '55 sunroof car. I don't remember there being any plastic inserts (currently dismantled) but can check.
55 3fold
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 08, 2017 8:31 pm    Post subject: Re: Early 1955 3 fold sunroof rails Reply with quote

When you say plastic inserts are you talking about the black guide trim that runs down the outer channel? (they are missing in photo) I believe first couple months of 53 they were added! My May 55 definitely has them!
nlorntson
Crazy VW Lady

PostPosted: Wed Nov 08, 2017 8:47 pm    Post subject: Re: Early 1955 3 fold sunroof rails Reply with quote

Yes, missing in the above photo. So it sounds like a May 55 had the plastic strip.

When did it stop?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Jonnyla
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 08, 2017 9:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Early 1955 3 fold sunroof rails Reply with quote

My May 4th car does too. 🤘🏼
Although I don't know if mind are the originals to the car.
55 3fold
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 08, 2017 10:08 pm    Post subject: Re: Early 1955 3 fold sunroof rails Reply with quote

They would have run until the end of the 3 fold assembly, early Aug 55. with the introduction of the roller system instead of a friction sliding roof mechanism.
Mark Evans Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 09, 2017 5:52 am    Post subject: Re: Early 1955 3 fold sunroof rails Reply with quote

Mine do indeed have the outer nylon strips as well. Been packed away for over ten years...
nlorntson
Crazy VW Lady

PostPosted: Thu Nov 09, 2017 7:53 am    Post subject: Re: Early 1955 3 fold sunroof rails Reply with quote

Mark, thank you for checking!

I've heard the plastic strip is the same as the stuff used in deluxe trim. Does anyone have a source of just the small amount needed?
EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Thu Nov 09, 2017 8:55 am    Post subject: Re: Early 1955 3 fold sunroof rails Reply with quote

nlorntson wrote:
I've heard the plastic strip is the same as the stuff used in deluxe trim.

On 23-Windows it absolutely is the same so I would guess it's the same for Beetles too.
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
john7
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 11, 2017 12:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Early 1955 3 fold sunroof rails Reply with quote

nlorntson wrote:
Mark, thank you for checking!

I've heard the plastic strip is the same as the stuff used in deluxe trim. Does anyone have a source of just the small amount needed?

i have some in titan red. looks really cool on cars with red interior

Slot Mag King!
I accept Paypal, CASH, GOLD, SILVER, COINS, GUNS & money orders.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Bruce
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 11, 2017 2:18 pm    Post subject: Re: Early 1955 3 fold sunroof rails Reply with quote

It's vinyl.
At one time WCM had it.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Chip Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 12, 2017 10:53 am    Post subject: Re: Early 1955 3 fold sunroof rails Reply with quote

My July 55 has the plastic inserts.
mr white
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 18, 2017 8:59 pm    Post subject: Re: Early 1955 3 fold sunroof rails Reply with quote

Can someone tell me when the three fold cut off was in 1955? I know of a ribbed door bullet fender car made in Nov- Dec 55.
Bruce
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 19, 2017 2:13 pm    Post subject: Re: Early 1955 3 fold sunroof rails Reply with quote

mr white wrote:
I know of a ribbed door bullet fender car made in Nov- Dec 55.

Either this car is a fake, or you've got the date of manufacture wrong.
Ribbed doors and 3 fold sunroofs ended at the end of July, 55.
Aug 55 saw the start of smooth doors and 2 fold sunroofs.
mr white
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 19, 2017 9:03 pm    Post subject: Re: Early 1955 3 fold sunroof rails Reply with quote

1955 is the year of magicians regarding VWs. This is old news! This car is real. Robbed doors. I suspect two fold. Vin starts -1 10 from what I recall.
OvalinAz
Samba Mini Tech

PostPosted: Sun Nov 19, 2017 9:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Early 1955 3 fold sunroof rails Reply with quote

I helped restore a late july or early august of 55 bullet fender 3 fold. no semi's and not a graft
12/62 French 11 Window Bus
Wedge VW
Pandraggers C.C.
mr white
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 19, 2017 11:05 pm    Post subject: Re: Early 1955 3 fold sunroof rails Reply with quote

Are you saying all -1 prefix 55 bugs are three fold ragtops? This particular( I have terrible pics in the gallery) is a Nov- Dec 55 bug. Bullet fender, no semaphores, ribbed door car. Two fold! Early 1956 model year. Snow flake car. Vin is -1 10 something from what I can read. Pics of the three fold opening in 54-55 would help with measurements. Regarding 1955, I have a few type 2s that defy logic- rules!
AlteWagen
Troll

PostPosted: Mon Nov 20, 2017 1:14 pm    Post subject: Re: Early 1955 3 fold sunroof rails Reply with quote

My Oct 55 has a vin with 1-0998** and is a non ribbed car. A friend has a Aug 55 build vert 1-0924 that uses a 55 pan which SHOULD have come with ribbed doors but came with the new non ribbed stuff as well.

A ribbed 2 fold NEVER came built from the factory, not sure if the CKD had the possibility of that combo.

Back in the day a a few buddies build early ovals (54 and 55) with 2 fold rags, one job was almost undetectable due to great install but again done after the fact.

Agreed that 55 was a crazy year for VWs, so many changes to the cars especially with the YOM starting that year, for Type 2 they were moving from Wolfsburg to the new location so Im sure some growing pains as well.

With as much PO hackery being done since the beginning Ive seen many "factory" cars that were pan jobs with crazy hacks to try to fool the unknowing.
Jonnyla
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 20, 2017 8:51 pm    Post subject: Re: Early 1955 3 fold sunroof rails Reply with quote

Is the car your referring to the one in your gallery labeled "sept-oct 1955"?
If so I don't see door alignment wedges in the 'b' pillars. So that would mean not original door. I agree with altwagen as well.
nlorntson
Crazy VW Lady

PostPosted: Tue Nov 28, 2017 9:25 pm    Post subject: Re: Early 1955 3 fold sunroof rails Reply with quote

Who knows what size screws are used to hold the rails down? M4 but how long?
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Oval-Window - 1953-57 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: