Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

How do you load your canoe?
Page: Previous  1, 2
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
richparker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 22, 2017 1:57 pm    Post subject: Re: How do you load your canoe? Reply with quote

Abscate wrote:
Wildthings wrote:
HelmutofBuffalo wrote:

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Does that increase your speed when running close hauled?

It might make for better running, but a fuel economy bump would be a reach.

Can’t imagine driving in a cross wind...does sombody sit in the boat to adjust the sail based on the wind direction? This might be a good addition to Hasta Alaska’s bus, with his luck there’d probably be no wind when he breaks down...
’65 Deluxe Build
’63 Deluxe Build
HelmutofBuffalo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 22, 2017 8:53 pm    Post subject: Re: How do you load your canoe? Reply with quote

"Can’t imagine driving in a cross wind...does sombody sit in the boat to adjust the sail based on the wind direction?"

I hope some "Newbie" doesn't see this thread and actually try to add a sail to their Bus.

Funny thing was a few weeks after I took that photo, I found this old ad:

vwwestyman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 22, 2017 10:00 pm    Post subject: Re: How do you load your canoe? Reply with quote

Haven't done anything about this yet. I kinda like the idea of building a roller contraption, but this seems like a very elegant solution too.

https://www.amazon.com/Thule-Outrigger-II-Roof-Rack/dp/B00CBW76NO

President, Wild Westerner Club

1978 Champagne Edition Westy, repowered to '97 Jetta TDI
1973 Wild Westerner
My Thing
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Yarkle
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 23, 2017 8:37 am    Post subject: Re: How do you load your canoe? Reply with quote

ive been remiss at posting pictures, but i can tell you what NOT to do.

Dont flip the canoe upside down, then ratchet strap it to the top. cuz then you end up with dents in the roof where the sides of the canoe "dug in", and then you get the nimrod who uses a slide hammer to try and pull out the dents, then slathers a can of bondo to try and cover the mistakes.

cus i now have two creases that go abotu halfway down the length of the roof, the exact distance apart that an old metal sportspal canoe has :/

at some point ill upload my battle with THAT scenario.

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=771024&highlight=
williamM
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 23, 2017 9:04 am    Post subject: Re: How do you load your canoe? Reply with quote

Shocked How tight did they ratchet that to dent the roof Rolling Eyes I'm with the center of the bus crowd and load the boat center line then swing over the stern to end up with the canoe center line of the roof. Pads or roof rack mandatory.

The rear rack was torn away, but you get the idea.

[img]
[/img]

You might consider removing canoe before raising any roof of that type however. Embarassed

opinion untempered by fact is ignorance.

Don't step in any!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Yarkle
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 23, 2017 11:14 am    Post subject: Re: How do you load your canoe? Reply with quote

I dunno, but thats the only explanation i can think of, cuz it lines up exactly with a sportspal canoes straight lines. Either thats or some weird giant clockwork trap. or a giant with a dull knife who couldnt piece the skin, just dent it. Very narrow creases.

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=771024&highlight=
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: