Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

problem mounting European heallights with parking lamp
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
jtauxe Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 08, 2017 7:34 pm    Post subject: problem mounting European heallights with parking lamp Reply with quote

In restoring my Mexican single cab to its original factory configuration, I am compelled to honor the wiring to the headlights. Since this truck was built to European specifications, it had the extra grey wire into the headlight buckets for the "parking lamp" -- a small extra bulb that lives outside the main bulb cluster, and which provides the feature of having lights on the vehicle when parked, which is apparently standard in some countries.

In this photo through the front of the headlight, you can see the white rubber penetration that holds the parking lamp:

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Here is is from the back side:

I found the cool H4 headlights with the extra lamp at BusDepot, and went to mount them, when -- hold on. These won't fit in the housings. As you can see, the white rubber penetration wants to occupy the same space as the ring on the housing:

Now, it could well be that the headlight housings are not original. Or, if they are, some other sort of parking lamp was in the headlights.

I am thinking of modifying the housings to accept these headlights by cutting them to clear the white rubber. Something like cutting out along the pencilled line here:

But I'd really rather not cut on these. Ideally, I would learn that indeed the Euro housings are different, and wouldn't someone like to sell a pair to me? Smile

Short of that, out comes the Dremel tool...
1969 Transporter, 1971 Westfalia, 1976, 1977, 1976, 1977, 1971, 1973, 1977 Westfalias,
1979 Champagne Sunroof, 1974 Westfalia Automatic, 1979 Transporter, 1972 Sportsmobile, 1973 Transporter Wild Westerner, 1974 Westfalia parts bus
, 1975 Mexican single cab *FOR SALE*, 1978 Irish 4-door double cab RHD
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
otiswesty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 08, 2017 7:45 pm    Post subject: Re: problem mounting European heallights with parking lamp Reply with quote

The european headlights have a mounting ring that is integral to the headlight. It is all one unit.
The US version has a separate mounting ring with the 3 depressions to hold any standard headlight.
You will need to clearance your mounting rings if you want to run those lights. No biggie.

Just a regular guy
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 08, 2017 8:15 pm    Post subject: Re: problem mounting European heallights with parking lamp Reply with quote

Seems all your questions are already answered here John: https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=684259&highlight=
From the looks of what you are trying to fit you opted for the cheapo Whoknowswhattheyreallyfitbutaslongasthere'sastrongmarkupwhocares?sincethestupidcustomerwillfallforit lights instead of the real Bosch or Hella lights meant for a bus. You may have barely saved enough to justify the Dremel time, but 10-20 years later are those Asian attempted facimilies going to look as good as the real deal still does after all these years? Not only are you sacrificing fit, the quality is probaby suspect, and years later when the supply of the genuine ones has completely dried up you'll be kicking your ass and throwing in sealed beams because they are the only option.

I think you are making a mistake, YMMV.

Please don't PM technical questions, ask your problem in public so everyone can play along. If you think it's too stupid post it here
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!

Слава Україні!
notchboy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 08, 2017 8:58 pm    Post subject: Re: problem mounting European heallights with parking lamp Reply with quote

Yep. You are not dealing with the OG European parts for which you wish to turn your bus back to Wink Like they said ^^^^

OK, this thread is over. You win.

Jason "notchboy" Weigel
1964 1500 S
1964 T34 S Convertible
1977 Westfalia Camper pop-top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
jtauxe Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 09, 2017 9:23 am    Post subject: Re: problem mounting European heallights with parking lamp Reply with quote

busdaddy wrote:
Seems all your questions are already answered here John: https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=684259&highlight=
From the looks of what you are trying to fit you opted for the cheapo Whoknowswhattheyreallyfitbutaslongasthere'sastrongmarkupwhocares?sincethestupidcustomerwillfallforit lights instead of the real Bosch or Hella lights meant for a bus. You may have barely saved enough to justify the Dremel time, but 10-20 years later are those Asian attempted facimilies going to look as good as the real deal still does after all these years? Not only are you sacrificing fit, the quality is probaby suspect, and years later when the supply of the genuine ones has completely dried up you'll be kicking your ass and throwing in sealed beams because they are the only option.

I think you are making a mistake, YMMV.

Are you saying that I am making a mistake...

- trying to fit the integrated parking lamp headlights into this truck?
or
- trying to modify these mounts to accept those headlights?
or
- buying the cheapo integrated parking lamp headlights?
or
- moving away from sealed beams lights in the first place?
or
- attempting to return the truck to its factory configuration?
1969 Transporter, 1971 Westfalia, 1976, 1977, 1976, 1977, 1971, 1973, 1977 Westfalias,
1979 Champagne Sunroof, 1974 Westfalia Automatic, 1979 Transporter, 1972 Sportsmobile, 1973 Transporter Wild Westerner, 1974 Westfalia parts bus
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 09, 2017 10:23 am    Post subject: Re: problem mounting European heallights with parking lamp Reply with quote

Your mistake is using the wrong parts IMO. If I had your truck I'd want the Euro lights for sure, but I would source a pair of the correct OGVW parts and do it right.

Please don't PM technical questions, ask your problem in public so everyone can play along. If you think it's too stupid post it here

Слава Україні!
jtauxe Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 09, 2017 10:49 am    Post subject: Re: problem mounting European heallights with parking lamp Reply with quote

I agree. This is the time to make this factory correct.

What that tells me, then, is that the headlight mounting rings were probably replaced with some '73 or earlier version at some point in the past. These are not going to work without modification, and, as you point out, they would still be "wrong".
otiswesty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 09, 2017 12:02 pm    Post subject: Re: problem mounting European heallights with parking lamp Reply with quote

Here is the OG set up
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=1928651

Just a regular guy
notchboy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 09, 2017 3:53 pm    Post subject: Re: problem mounting European heallights with parking lamp Reply with quote

Your parts are for sealed beam US spec type bulbs - used here, Canada and Mexico. The one otiswesty shows is the euro spec type.

Jason "notchboy" Weigel
1964 1500 S
1964 T34 S Convertible
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 09, 2017 5:32 pm    Post subject: Re: problem mounting European heallights with parking lamp Reply with quote

Aaannd there's two different styles of those, the later ones shown with the separate basket, and the earlier ones which use the chrome ring as the mount.
I have no idea when the change took place.

Слава Україні!
notchboy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 09, 2017 7:56 pm    Post subject: Re: problem mounting European heallights with parking lamp Reply with quote

busdaddy wrote:
Aaannd there's two different styles of those, the later ones shown with the separate basket, and the earlier ones which use the chrome ring as the mount.
I have no idea when the change took place.

I would wager around 73, 74.Maybe as early as 71. All I know is I was buying bus and bug euro spec headlights out of Europe for a steal as they were plentiful. Then flipping them to US folk wanting the Euro headlights. Popular in the Type 3 scene for sure. And they were into the early 70's for sure.

Hazets pics of earlies.

Jason "notchboy" Weigel
1964 1500 S
1964 T34 S Convertible
jtauxe Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 19, 2017 4:31 pm    Post subject: Re: problem mounting European heallights with parking lamp Reply with quote

otiswesty wrote:
Here is the OG set up
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=1928651

So, I actually bought and paid for these headlights in the ad above from the seller on The Samba (Globusoverland https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/profile.php?mode=viewprofile&u=48570), and then he reneged and returned my money. Jerk. Evil or Very Mad Rolling Eyes

But, as it turns out, these are available from Europe. I found them in Germany, Latvia, and the UK (OK, I still think of the UK as part of Europe), and ultimately bought a pair from a UK Amazon seller.

For those of you looking in the future, the Hella part number is 1A8 003 060 551

Last edited by jtauxe on Tue Nov 21, 2017 8:16 am; edited 1 time in total
notchboy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 19, 2017 5:59 pm    Post subject: Re: problem mounting European heallights with parking lamp Reply with quote

d'oh!

Yes John. Glad you found some. Now you know why I called them "Euro" headlights Wink

Jason "notchboy" Weigel
1964 1500 S
1964 T34 S Convertible
zerothehero
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 21, 2017 7:00 pm    Post subject: Re: problem mounting European heallights with parking lamp Reply with quote

[quote="jtauxe"]
otiswesty wrote:
(OK, I still think of the UK as part of Europe),

We're not leaving Europe Shocked
1979 Devon Moonraker 1600 twin port
1978 Oz Microbus 2000 FI Auto
furgo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 21, 2017 11:57 pm    Post subject: Re: problem mounting European heallights with parking lamp Reply with quote

jtauxe wrote:

But, as it turns out, these are available from Europe. I found them in Germany, Latvia, and the UK (OK, I still think of the UK as part of Europe), and ultimately bought a pair from a UK Amazon seller.

For those of you looking in the future, the Hella part number is 1A8 003 060 551

For future reference for someone else looking for them, here's one (German) seller that stocks them. I would think they ship worldwide:

https://www.werk34.de/product_info.php/info/p16678...Hella.html

Or you can also search for the VW part #: 111 941 073

Decode your M-Plate
notchboy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 22, 2017 6:40 pm    Post subject: Re: problem mounting European heallights with parking lamp Reply with quote

furgo wrote:
jtauxe wrote:

For future reference for someone else looking for them, here's one (German) seller that stocks them. I would think they ship worldwide:

https://www.werk34.de/product_info.php/info/p16678...Hella.html

Or you can also search for the VW part #: 111 941 073

As well as pop open any VolksWorld or Camper mag and find a nice pic of it and a vendor Wink

Jason "notchboy" Weigel
1964 1500 S
1964 T34 S Convertible
jtauxe Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 01, 2017 8:29 am    Post subject: Re: problem mounting European heallights with parking lamp Reply with quote

Well, damn. I got a pair of these lights from the UK, and it looks like they would mount to the bus' headlight buckets, BUT...

...the lights will not accept the trim ring that goes directly around the glass. The trim ring (not the outer ring that goes to the body) will simply not fit over the Hella headlights. Nor will the BusDepot headlights (which accept the trim) fit into the Hella frame. Rolling Eyes

So, crap. At this point I have two different pairs of headlights that support the parking lamp feature, but neither of them can I get to fit in my bus, any any combination. WTF? Evil or Very Mad

Does anyone really know how this would have been built at the factory in 1975?

Are there any European folk out there with a '75 (or so) bus that has a setup like this? HELP!
sjbartnik
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 01, 2017 9:42 am    Post subject: Re: problem mounting European heallights with parking lamp Reply with quote

Do make sure that the lamps you got from the UK seller are set up for LHD vehicles. The lens design would be different for LHD vehicles vs. RHD vehicles, throwing the upward kink in the beam pattern to the wrong side of the road if RHD lenses are used in a LHD country.

In other words you'd be blinding oncoming drivers.
static
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 01, 2017 9:54 am    Post subject: Re: problem mounting European heallights with parking lamp Reply with quote

sjbartnik wrote:
In other words, you'd be blinding oncoming drivers.

You say that as if it's a bad thing.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
sjbartnik
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 01, 2017 11:09 am    Post subject: Re: problem mounting European heallights with parking lamp Reply with quote

static wrote:
sjbartnik wrote:
In other words, you'd be blinding oncoming drivers.

You say that as if it's a bad thing.

Blinding someone driving a 3500-lb. projectile toward you at 50 mph could be seen as a bad thing.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: