Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

DIY Brake Lines
Page: 1, 2, 3  Next
Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
This page may contain links to eBay where the site receives compensation.
Clatter
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 09, 2017 1:49 pm    Post subject: DIY Brake Lines Reply with quote

Anyone ever bend up their own hard brake lines?

I'm using a stock master and 944 calipers,
But so many things are in a different enough location,
That it would be best for me to just bend them all up from scratch..

Can you just order 'murrican car stuff and go to town?

Is there a special metric size for the hard lines?

What material do you like to use, and why?

Always liked Eastwood, and they have so many choices..
http://search.eastwood.com/search?w=brake+line

Thanks in advance..

What’s That Noise?!?
RLFD213
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 09, 2017 2:06 pm    Post subject: Re: DIY Brake Lines Reply with quote

Here is just my 0.02 on brake lines. Use the hard line to go from the MC to the rear T. The rest get braided lines for. Less lines, they’re flexible and you will be able to bleed the system very easily.
raygreenwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 09, 2017 3:00 pm    Post subject: Re: DIY Brake Lines Reply with quote

RLFD213 wrote:
Here is just my 0.02 on brake lines. Use the hard line to go from the MC to the rear T. The rest get braided lines for. Less lines, they’re flexible and you will be able to bleed the system very easily.

All braided lines....even Teflon core braided lines have a lifespan for the swaged areas alone if for nothing else.

Teflon lines especially also cannot be allowed to flop around. The Teflon core cracks VERY easily. They have lousey bend radius. They are excellent for the short low flex sections between the steel pigtail line to a caliper and the main steel chassis hard line...but should not be used anywhere else....except perhaps for a hydraulic clutch slave connector.

Clatter....you can by SAE steel lines that are "close" with correct metric couplings that will work just fine ...at many FLAPS.

The actual metric brake line IS slightly different but will not cause a problem.

On many VW's like type 3 and 4...the hard brake lines are 4.7mm. This is 0.18503"....and 3/16" brake line is 0.1875"...a difference of 0.00247".

So if you can buy the correct fittings for the MC and calipers/wheel cylinders you will be fine with those and bending your own. Ray
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Brian_e
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 09, 2017 3:03 pm    Post subject: Re: DIY Brake Lines Reply with quote

I used to plumb tube chassis rockcrawlers from scratch all the time. I had better luck going to the local parts store and getting straight sticks of tube. The rolls of tube are hard to get straight, kink easy, and often damaged in shipping. You will need metric. Its usually green. Each stick will come with both ends flared with a fitting. They come in lots of different lengths.

This is the only bender worth using. The others make large radius sloppy bends.
http://www.radwell.com/Shop?source=GoogleShopping&IgnoreRedirect=true&ItemSingleId=61429619

I have had good luck with a cheap generic metric bubble flare tool. I have also used one of these, and they are worth the money if you think you will be doing more jobs in the future.
http://www.eastwood.com/professional-brake-tubing-flaring-tool.html

Use all the stock hose mounts and plumb the new hardlines into them. The part store hardline fittings will work perfect with stock VW hoses.

You will waste a few sticks of tube learning to get your bends in the right spot, but they are cheap and easy to do over. Start with one factory flared end, bend up your tube, cut it, and re-flare to fit your needs.

Nothing shows a quality in a car build like well done neatly thought out plumbing and wiring.

Brian
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
FreeBug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 09, 2017 3:06 pm    Post subject: Re: DIY Brake Lines Reply with quote

I wouldn't use braided anything on my brake system unless I could afford to replace them every 2-3 years, cuz how you going to inspect for cracks?

VW parts places sell pre-cut and flared kits, someone here will chime in. Try Aircooled.net? CB?

The difficulty is avoiding pinching when you do the bends. You can do them by hand, if you're careful, and a mini pipe-bending thingy can be useful:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Tubing-Tube-Bender-Alumin...1712744849

These are the brakes, so be safe!
UK Luke 72
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 09, 2017 3:13 pm    Post subject: Re: DIY Brake Lines Reply with quote

Use Cunifer and male m10x1 fittings.
Keep the flex to a minimum (use hardline where the factory did and use flex where they did too.)
jason
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 09, 2017 3:54 pm    Post subject: Re: DIY Brake Lines Reply with quote

X2 cunifer. Same as copper nickel stuff. Like that it has more corrosion resistance. You can get the hard line and hose cheap. Make a tool to straighten the coils of tube. When I make bends I first make them with coat hangers. Then bend with your hand to the shape of the hanger. Bend against it. Tape the tube to the hanger as you go. Will steady everything as you go. Use round things like sockets and whatnot when bending hanger. You will get professional looking lines. If you lived closer you could use my flare tools. Here is my homemade straightener. Make sure to use the right ends. DIN/ISO bubble flare.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
Krochus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 09, 2017 4:25 pm    Post subject: Re: DIY Brake Lines Reply with quote

When I completely redid the lines on my street rail I bought a package of metric bubble flare to 3/16 ivf adaptors due to ease of obtaining hard lines by the stick and a 77 F100 master cylinder. I love my VW’s but any and all variations of the stock master cylinder is absolute crap

A 80’s dodge caravan rear brake hose is about 13” long and has standard 3/8 female inverted flare fittings on both ends I used these for my rear soft lines and they are very easy to work with.

Front EMPI kit, rear Mercedes W123 discs
raygreenwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 09, 2017 4:42 pm    Post subject: Re: DIY Brake Lines Reply with quote

Brian_e wrote:
I used to plumb tube chassis rockcrawlers from scratch all the time. I had better luck going to the local parts store and getting straight sticks of tube. The rolls of tube are hard to get straight, kink easy, and often damaged in shipping. You will need metric. Its usually green. Each stick will come with both ends flared with a fitting. They come in lots of different lengths.

This is the only bender worth using. The others make large radius sloppy bends.
http://www.radwell.com/Shop?source=GoogleShopping&IgnoreRedirect=true&ItemSingleId=61429619

I have had good luck with a cheap generic metric bubble flare tool. I have also used one of these, and they are worth the money if you think you will be doing more jobs in the future.
http://www.eastwood.com/professional-brake-tubing-flaring-tool.html

Use all the stock hose mounts and plumb the new hardlines into them. The part store hardline fittings will work perfect with stock VW hoses.

You will waste a few sticks of tube learning to get your bends in the right spot, but they are cheap and easy to do over. Start with one factory flared end, bend up your tube, cut it, and re-flare to fit your needs.

Nothing shows a quality in a car build like well done neatly thought out plumbing and wiring.

Brian

Yes.....most FLAPS carry the green metric tubes.

If they do not have what you need on hand.....more than a few also usually have wome on hand that are SAE tube with metric flares. Different color code as well. Those are the ones I was speaking of. You can do fine with them if you cant get anything else.

Nice bending tool!
Ray
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Lo Cash John
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 09, 2017 5:48 pm    Post subject: Re: DIY Brake Lines Reply with quote

I bought this kit a while back.

https://www.amazon.com/OTC-4504-Stinger-Bubble-Flaring/dp/B0015PMZMU

I've had great results BUT it will not do stainless lines. I think at some point I'll upgrade to the nice kit Eastwood sales and pass the old kit on to one of my other VW buddies.

If you actually drive your VW, you need www.AirMapp.com

My boss told me I need to work on my mutli-tasking. So now when I use the bathroom at work I surf The Samba on my iPhone.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Clatter
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 11, 2017 8:49 pm    Post subject: Re: DIY Brake Lines Reply with quote

Thanks for the tips, guys.
Love this forum (sometimes..). Laughing

Especially Brian - That tip of getting a bunch green line at the FLAPS was golden. Very Happy

Some good fun today with the toys!

What’s That Noise?!?
heimlich Premium Member
VWNOS.com

PostPosted: Sat Nov 11, 2017 10:00 pm    Post subject: Re: DIY Brake Lines Reply with quote

I had a brake line rust through that went from the MC to the rear. I did it myself. It was the first time I did it and it came out fine. Make sure you put the correct flares on the ends. Loosen the MC a bit so that you can get the flare nut screwed on. That was really the hardest part, screwing the nut onto the MC. You have to get the bend perfect.
5% Off your order with coupon code: 5%OFF
Restored Distributors Available (<--Click here)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Rome
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 12, 2017 1:17 pm    Post subject: Re: DIY Brake Lines Reply with quote

Quote:
Use Cunifer and male m10x1 fittings.

Does everybody know the meaning of Cunifer? It's derived from the alloy's elements used to make the tubing: Cu = copper, ni = nickel, fer = ferrous (metal).
Nando_b63
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2022 5:56 pm    Post subject: Re: DIY Brake Lines Reply with quote

Clatter wrote:

Especially Brian - That tip of getting a bunch green line at the FLAPS was golden. Very Happy

Where you get those green brake lines?

Thank you
67rustavenger Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2022 6:53 pm    Post subject: Re: DIY Brake Lines Reply with quote

Nando_b63 wrote:

Thank you

FLAPS = Friendly Local Auto Parts Store.
Depending where you live. The store can be around the corner from you. Or in the next county away.

The green brake line tube is metric.

There's never enough time to do it right the first time. But there's always enough time to do it thrice.
GFY's Xevin and VW_Jimbo!
raygreenwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2022 6:59 pm    Post subject: Re: DIY Brake Lines Reply with quote

Nando_b63 wrote:
Clatter wrote:

Thank you

I have found them at "most" auto parts stores over the years. THat being said, because a lot less people are working on their own stuff...some of the store chains are carrying less in stock.

But, typically in most districts the large NAPA main warehouse has the green ones ...usually in both metric with metric threads and in SAE tube with metric or SAE threads. But you may have to ask.

Just last week I bought a 1 foot section of steel metric (4.76mm OD) brake line with double flares at each end with correct metric 10mm nuts on it....but it is zinc plated....which is fine....just like stock. I got it at NAPA.

By the way....the green line comes in two varieties. The most common one now is metric and the green is an outer cast plastic coating in olive green. But, there is another one that is somewhat less common in a tannish green that is actually zinc chromated. Its a "mil-spec" line. If its metric both will work fine. Ray
Nando_b63
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2022 7:10 pm    Post subject: Re: DIY Brake Lines Reply with quote

^^^^
Thank you both.
txoval
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2022 8:08 pm    Post subject: Re: DIY Brake Lines Reply with quote

At the parts store it’s best to just go back there and get the lines you need Smile

They have several different lengths that are identical or close to original. On a Beetle, I have never had to cut the ends off and flare…but I imagine it could be required on a Bus or Type3

You can also buy SS kits from Wolfsburg West…correct lengths and ready to bend/install
jimmyhoffa
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2022 6:52 am    Post subject: Re: DIY Brake Lines Reply with quote

Of the tedious car building tasks, brake lines are one of the more therapeutic for me. I like to make the shapes and stuff.

I did the whole car in Cunifer on the last prep, and it was super easy. You don't even need a bender, just bend it over your roll cage or whatever round object you find. Absolutely no point in a bender.

The stainless work pictured was with an AutoZone line bendy tool and AN 37° flare tool. Gotta have a bender for SS line.
1974 Chenowth 2RL #1244 Street Legal
My other car isn't ridiculous.
txoval
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2022 8:10 am    Post subject: Re: DIY Brake Lines Reply with quote

I hate working on brake lines Crying or Very sad

Your lines look nice Very Happy
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: