Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

85 Westy refresh. Plenty of questions to follow. Bulli Klinik
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bills85Westy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 24, 2019 8:33 pm    Post subject: Re: 85 Westy refresh. Plenty of questions to follow. Bulli Klinik Reply with quote

Hey Mike! Any updates on your Westy project?
Engine Conversion Thread: http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=612144&highlight=
85 Doka L345 Grey - 1.9L
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Bulli Klinik
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 26, 2019 7:30 am    Post subject: Re: 85 Westy refresh. Plenty of questions to follow. Bulli Klinik Reply with quote

Hi Bill. I've been doing a little work here and there. I finished blocking and painting the rear hatch and the sliding door. They came out nice for a garage job and I'm really liking the color. I began washing off the surface rust on the metalwork I completed months ago in preparation for some primer.

It's been a really busy summer for me and I just haven't had as much time to work on it as I like. I also had another Bus come into my World last week and I have to admit that it's a bit distracting:

A true barn find, 58 Samba. Parked since 85!

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

I'm most definitely finishing the Westy, but I have to sneak in a little bit of time on the Samba once in a while!

Thanks for your inquiry and I'll be sure to post up some photos when I make a bit more progress.
Colorado Springs
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Bulli Klinik
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 04, 2019 8:29 am    Post subject: Re: 85 Westy refresh. Plenty of questions to follow. Bulli Klinik Reply with quote

I finally got around to putting a bit more work into the Van. The project has really snowballed and I've been really wanting to get this thing going. These projects take a LOT of time and it's been difficult finding the time to work on it.

Here's what I've been doing:

I got around to painting the hatch and slider. I'm liking the color and it's a big motivator to see some parts in paint.

Colorado Springs
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Bulli Klinik
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 04, 2019 8:33 am    Post subject: Re: 85 Westy refresh. Plenty of questions to follow. Bulli Klinik Reply with quote

I finished up the rocker repairs.

Necessary evil.

Punched a few holes to weld the rocker to the upper section.

Welded the and dressed the lower flange.

Colorado Springs
Bulli Klinik
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 04, 2019 8:37 am    Post subject: Re: 85 Westy refresh. Plenty of questions to follow. Bulli Klinik Reply with quote

I fabbed the floor section which attaches to the rocker and installed it.
Epoxy primer and weld thru.

The outer rocker was punched through both the upper and lower while I was making it allowing me to weld both panels to the floor at the same time.

Colorado Springs
Bulli Klinik
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 04, 2019 8:41 am    Post subject: Re: 85 Westy refresh. Plenty of questions to follow. Bulli Klinik Reply with quote

Fabbed the lower flange which attaches to the interior panel. Fold in the brake then finish with the rivet gun over a piece of angle iron.

Welded in new bolts for the propane tank, the lower flange and called it done.

Colorado Springs
Bulli Klinik
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 04, 2019 8:49 am    Post subject: Re: 85 Westy refresh. Plenty of questions to follow. Bulli Klinik Reply with quote

I bumped out a dent in the passengers, rear corner. This was a little tough as there isn't much access, but I managed to massage it out.

In addition to that, I stripped some more paint and did some more sanding in preparation for some primer. I'm going to try to keep plugging away bit by bit. The Samba is in a bit of a holding pattern until I get this thing back on the road.
Colorado Springs
Bulli Klinik
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 04, 2019 8:56 am    Post subject: Re: 85 Westy refresh. Plenty of questions to follow. Bulli Klinik Reply with quote

On a final note, I got the BMW back and went through it...again. Four paint jobs on this bike in 10K miles! F**K thieves.

Modified the old windshield I made by extending it up a bit. Replaced the BMW roundels ($70/pair for new ones) with $3 worth of stickers. Replaced the saddle bags with some Craigs list specials.

And added drink holders.

Colorado Springs
Bulli Klinik
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 04, 2019 9:06 am    Post subject: Re: 85 Westy refresh. Plenty of questions to follow. Bulli Klinik Reply with quote

One more last thing, the 64 Vespa which was stolen with the BMW...

I just so happen to stop by my Buddy's scooter shop, Sportique Scooters, here in CS a couple of weeks ago to chat with the owner, Jarrod. While I'm sitting in my car talking to him a truck pulls up and three guys jump out. Guess what's sitting in the back of the truck?

One of the guys owns a thrift store and just bought a Vespa at a yard sale, for $65 no less! He was bringing it by the shop to see if they wanted to buy it. He didn't want to give me the bike but he was convinced otherwise once the cops arrived. I'm grateful I filed a report when it happened.

Naturally, just like the BMW, it's had a shitty repaint and they likely grenaded the motor by not mixing two stroke oil. The last thing I need is another project, but I'm stoked to get back my first Vespa!
Colorado Springs
VanWhalen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 05, 2019 12:22 am    Post subject: Re: 85 Westy refresh. Plenty of questions to follow. Bulli Klinik Reply with quote

Nice to hear you got the BMW and Vespa back, but let's back up a sec and look at that beautiful magic you worked on that rear corner dent. Bravo!
Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 05, 2019 4:19 am    Post subject: Re: 85 Westy refresh. Plenty of questions to follow. Bulli Klinik Reply with quote

Quote:
n my opinion, there is only one way to properly tackle seam rust; remove and replace. If you don't pull it apart, you don't know what's inside. Quality paint work is too expensive to waste on a Van that will be rusting from the inside out. I would never buy a Van with a fresh paint job without photographic evidence of how it was restored and I would suggest that you do the same. Rant over.

There is a profound truth here. If you are doing a resto, and don’t document it, you have no pride in your work, or your hiding the crap.

A resto without pictures is pig lipstick.
Bulli Klinik
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 05, 2019 7:53 am    Post subject: Re: 85 Westy refresh. Plenty of questions to follow. Bulli Klinik Reply with quote

VanWhalen wrote:
Nice to hear you got the BMW and Vespa back, but let's back up a sec and look at that beautiful magic you worked on that rear corner dent. Bravo!

Thanks! Time spent finishing the metal is time not spent sanding filler.
Colorado Springs
Bulli Klinik
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 05, 2019 7:55 am    Post subject: Re: 85 Westy refresh. Plenty of questions to follow. Bulli Klinik Reply with quote

Abscate wrote:
Quote:
n my opinion, there is only one way to properly tackle seam rust; remove and replace. If you don't pull it apart, you don't know what's inside. Quality paint work is too expensive to waste on a Van that will be rusting from the inside out. I would never buy a Van with a fresh paint job without photographic evidence of how it was restored and I would suggest that you do the same. Rant over.

There is a profound truth here. If you are doing a resto, and don’t document it, you have no pride in your work, or your hiding the crap.

A resto without pictures is pig lipstick.

Agreed! I document all of my work for this reason. On customers cars I consider it part of the job.
Colorado Springs
Bulli Klinik
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 07, 2019 8:19 am    Post subject: Re: 85 Westy refresh. Plenty of questions to follow. Bulli Klinik Reply with quote

With another Summer in the bag I've decided not to make the Westy a rolling restoration. The original plan was to get the Bus in primer, paint the inside and top and get it rolling. The more I thought about it the more it made sense to get the paint work fully done then put it back together.

I disassembled and removed the doors followed by some sanding with 80 grit on a DA sander. This revealed some hail damage and some minor dings.

I bumped up the low spots with a slapping file and this dolly I made from a large leaf spring. Leaf springs are made of VERY hard material which can be formed to make a variety of tools. I use this very low crown, narrow dolly all the time for working on the sides of Vans, Busses and other low crown panels.

Once the panels were dent free, I gave them a final sand with the DA then a coat of epoxy followed by some Slick Sand polyester primer. I'll let these gas out for a week (month?) or so then get back to final sanding and color.

Guide coated.

Colorado Springs
Bulli Klinik
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 07, 2019 8:47 am    Post subject: Re: 85 Westy refresh. Plenty of questions to follow. Bulli Klinik Reply with quote

The last, major metal to be repaired is the base of the nose. I spent a lot of time thinking of how I was going to do this. The area is hard to access for any kind of grinding or metal finishing. Once I saw that the lower nose was available new, I decided I was going to completely remove the panel as well as the lower, repair the lower and weld it all back together. It's going to be a bit of trick and I'll have to do some blind and tricky welding to reinstall the upper, but it can be done.

Where the panels meet it was pretty rusty. Not through, but I'm going to fix it properly while I'm in there.

With the upper removed.

Colorado Springs
Bulli Klinik
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 07, 2019 8:51 am    Post subject: Re: 85 Westy refresh. Plenty of questions to follow. Bulli Klinik Reply with quote

I pulled a paper pattern for the replacement metal.

Decided to fully remove the lower section as it will be far easier to finish on the bench and will go in much cleaner with just the rosette welds to be done in the front.

Here's what I used on the welds. The back was roughly cut with a cut-off wheel on a grinder.

Colorado Springs
Bulli Klinik
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 07, 2019 9:00 am    Post subject: Re: 85 Westy refresh. Plenty of questions to follow. Bulli Klinik Reply with quote

I cut the blanks from 1/8" steel as that was the closest available at my supply house. There's a big difference in working with 20-18 gauge as compared to 1/8"! This stuff is THICK! I cut the blanks on a friends band saw, cut off the rusty areas and welded the flange to the blanks.

That was followed by some grinding and dressing of the edges for welding Even though I was careful, welding at about 1" lengths, the panel ended up with a nice big sway. I ended up clamping it to the table nice and flat, heated up the flange in about a half dozen spots and forced it back into submission.
Colorado Springs
Bulli Klinik
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 07, 2019 9:15 am    Post subject: Re: 85 Westy refresh. Plenty of questions to follow. Bulli Klinik Reply with quote

One of the reasons I decided to sell my Bay camper and get a Vanagon is that I wanted to personalize it. There is no way that I would do any permanent modifications to a nice, vintage Bus. The Vanagon lends itself to modifications and upgrades and I don't feel bad cutting into it. I still see it as a $2500 Bus.

With that said, I've always wanted a convenient way to carry bikes as well as my little Honda Trail 90. I also want the option of installing a D-ring for emergency towing. Since I didn't want a receiver hanging off the front, I'm going to make it a little more stealth and hide it behind the bumper. I'll make a plug for the bumper blade which should make it more inconspicuous when not in use.

I bought a 2" receiver from HF.

I cut the hole in the front of the bumper support then modified the end to mate against the inside of the structure.

I decided to locate the pin for the receiver in the same location as the bolt hole for the spare tire carrier. I drilled out the threaded insert and knocked off the nut with an air chisel.

Colorado Springs
Bulli Klinik
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 07, 2019 9:30 am    Post subject: Re: 85 Westy refresh. Plenty of questions to follow. Bulli Klinik Reply with quote

Not wanting dirt/water to enter the hole and end up on the inside of the bumper support, I cut a section of tubing to match a taper I cut into the receiver. This was welded to the bottom of the bumper support, the receiver was placed over it and the welded to the inside of the support. I think you could suspend the Van in the air from this point. Once fully welded it's stout! No problem hanging a motorbike off of this thing.

The receiver was trimmed to sit just behind the bumper blade. The receiver barely fit in the center of the bumper and is butted up to the spring loaded clip which holds the tire carrier. It sits just a mm off center in order for the clip to clear.

With the receiver welded in, I relocated the tire carrier support. I made a new flange and welded it just a bit offset from the existing flange. A new nut was welded in to match the latch. All still works as intended with the clip holding the carrier allowing you fumble to put the bolt back in place. Smile

Colorado Springs
Bulli Klinik
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 07, 2019 9:36 am    Post subject: Re: 85 Westy refresh. Plenty of questions to follow. Bulli Klinik Reply with quote

With that mess all together, the plate was welded back in place and I'm calling it done until I get the replacement panel for the nose.

I cut the hole oversize around the hitch pin, welded and finished it to look as stock as I could.

That's all for now. Thanks for watching!
Colorado Springs
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 8 of 9

Jump to: