Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

vinyl Wrap
Forum Index -> Ghia Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
JoelH
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 09, 2017 4:21 pm    Post subject: vinyl Wrap Reply with quote

Hey guys,

I need to replace the woodgrain face on the dash of my Ghia. I was wondering if anyone has ever just taken their car to someone that does Vinyl Wraps on vehicles and had them wrap their dash with a wooden wrap? It would be thinner for sure. I wonder if it would stand up to the test of time? Let me know what you think guys

'60 DD SWR Panel
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=2522353#2522353

'62 Gulf Blue Ragtop Bug
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=420720&highlight=

'60 Black RHD Beetle
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=6478591#6478591

1965 Sea Sand L568 Notchback
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=8307805#8307805
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
KGCoupe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 10, 2017 2:33 pm    Post subject: Re: vinyl Wrap Reply with quote

Search the Ghia forum for "3M" and "woodgrain" and you'll find plenty of info about the idea of applying a woodgrain vinyl to your old dash face rather than purchasing a new one.

For example, this thread ...
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=4478196&highlight=3m#4478196
... mentions specifically which of the many different 3M Di-Noc woodgrain patterns most closely resembles the OG dash face (although unfortunately it appears to have only been available via a special order of a rather large quantity), and even includes a link to a page that ha a video that demonstrates how the material is applied.

It's interesting, though, that although the idea of using the 3M Di-Noc has been discussed many times here, I can't recall ever having seen pics of anyone that has actually used it on their Ghia dash face.

I do really like the fact that there are so many different woodgrain colors and patterns available to choose from if you're not limiting yourself to only what was "original".
MikeLee57
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 24, 2019 12:34 pm    Post subject: Re: vinyl Wrap Reply with quote

Hydro Dipping, or Hydrographics is a process to cover any dash, or part in who knows how many thousands of prints, including woodgrains. I've dipped many items in a brushed Aluminum also. A good Ceramic Clear coat made for this material is also used.
rcooled
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 24, 2019 5:08 pm    Post subject: Re: vinyl Wrap Reply with quote

MikeLee57 wrote:
Hydro Dipping, or Hydrographics is a process to cover any dash, or part...

Doesn't the part need to be immersed in a tub of water during the process? Hard to do that with a Ghia's dash, being that it's part of the car's body and not easily separated.

Pic from the gallery
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

'69.5 Ghia convertible and
'62, '63, '65, '69 Bugs (all long gone)
jeffrey8164 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 24, 2019 7:18 pm    Post subject: Re: vinyl Wrap Reply with quote

Maybe you can Hydro-Throw it.
But one could hydro-dip the plastic wood grain thing and the fiberglass dash faces as well.
I though about dipping my engine tins but I’m not sure how that would hold up

“Let he that is without oil throw the first rod”
(Compression 8.7:1)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Ghia All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: