Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

dual webers eating gas
Forum Index -> Thing/Type 181 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
sdthing
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 10, 2017 1:41 pm    Post subject: dual webers eating gas Reply with quote

Hi All
so....I put a set of dual ict webers on my 1600, 009 dist, elec ign. non stock exhaust. I bought these used but took them apart, cleaned and re assembled before I put on engine. The float bowl valves seemed to be operating correctly also. I have a small aux. gas container that I used to use to run motorcycles with when tuning with no gas tank. Its actually a paint gun cup with an inline filter. I was using this because the gas tank is out of the car and I wanted to set up the webers anyway. The little gas tank holds about 3-4 cups of fuel and by the time I get to the back of the car after starting it, after 30 more seconds the gas is gone. So total of about a min and 3-4 cups of fuel has been drank by the motor. The fuel pump is ok, and has a good diaphragm, so I know its not dumping it in crankcase. The jet sizes in the webers are 160, 130, and 40. I have the screws set to what weber says to start off with when tuning.

Is this normal or an excessive amount of gas to be using?
When hooked up to good size MC engines the gas would last quite a while before it ran out

Any suggestions would be welcome

TIA
mike
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 10, 2017 9:12 pm    Post subject: Re: dual webers eating gas Reply with quote

I can usually fill the carburetor float bowl with maybe 4-5 ounces of fuel and get it to idle cold for maybe 30 seconds, hot it will idle for longer.
Danwvw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 10, 2017 11:22 pm    Post subject: Re: dual webers eating gas Reply with quote

Make sure the gasoline does not leak down overnight or even over a period of 3 days of no driving. You will need a way to measure the gas level in them. In the Thing you probably can look down the throat of the carb while it's running. You should not see gas going in when you look down it at idle even revving a little. If gas is going in then the float is too high or the needle valve is sticking or something. Check the plugs for being all carboned up. Maybe it's on one and not the other.
andk5591
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 11, 2017 5:22 am    Post subject: Re: dual webers eating gas Reply with quote

And verify fuel pressure....
"John's car" 64 VW woodie - The first ever
Maxine 61 Cal-look bug - Cindy's daily driver.
Max - 73 standard Beetle hearse project - For sale
66 bug project - Real patina & Suby conversion
There's more, but not keeping them...
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
sdthing
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2017 6:40 am    Post subject: Re: dual webers eating gas Reply with quote

Thanks for the responses.....turned out to be a float had a little hole in it! Got the gas out, cleaned and put a drop of solder on it and no more problem. Runs better too! Duh.
Danwvw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 15, 2017 2:30 pm    Post subject: Re: dual webers eating gas Reply with quote

Yes, It probably is running with a higher gas level now on the repaired float. My need the gas levels checked between carbs.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Thing/Type 181 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: