Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Syncro suspension and bearing rebuild
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
nuhu
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2018 10:38 am    Post subject: Re: Syncro suspension and bearing rebuild Reply with quote

MsTaboo, thank you for answering my questions!

Yes, my van is yellow with SCA top. I have posted a photo in the Official Syncro 16" thread (https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=8281749#8281749). I'll have to post some more as I get it back on the road.

Cheers!
newerwesty1987
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 29, 2020 6:47 pm    Post subject: Re: Syncro suspension and bearing rebuild Reply with quote

If I'm doing the front syncro bearing only, can I just separate the LCA and pull the whole thing off? The axle stub is already loose in there so the CV is wobbling like it wants to come out. I'm just having trouble getting this lower joint separated. Any suggestions?
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

MsTaboo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 30, 2020 4:57 pm    Post subject: Re: Syncro suspension and bearing rebuild Reply with quote

Yes you can.
Start by loosening the upper ball joint bolts from the upright and then remove the front axle.
If the axle stub is already loose in the upright then all you will need to do is undo the CV bolts from the front diff, angle the inner axle/CV to the rear of the diff, and then remove the UBJ bolts and extract the outer CV stub from the upright.

Just loosen the nut on the lower ball joint but leave it fully engaged on the threads. Use a large hammer/sledge and give it a few good whacks and the LBJ should break free.
Best to soak with penetrating oil/PB Blaster for an hour or so before.

Here's a picture with the whole upright and LCA sitting on the floor but you can see what needs to be done.

Hope that helps.

The information age has morphed into the age of disinformation and willful ignorance. Agnotology!
Help the fight against Truth Decay.
Defend democracy, support Ukraine.
newerwesty1987
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 30, 2020 10:04 pm    Post subject: Re: Syncro suspension and bearing rebuild Reply with quote

Thanks but I started another thread since it made sense to separate the issue from the OP's post. (I needed to do the bearing only)

I didn't need to alter the axle in any way.

Anyway, I found this worked well:

Remove wheel.
Remove brakes and tie the caliper back to the frame with a wire (coathanger).
Loosen and remove the stub axle nut. I braced a crow bar on the lugs to keep it from spinning and used a large breaker bar. It is tight! If your wheel allows for it (remove center cover), you can do this with the wheel on which would be much easier.
Unbolt the upper control arm.
Unbolt tie rod.
Remove nut from the lower joint and remove housing as shown above.
Tap axle into housing and it should be lose enough to slide out. No need to remove or loosen CV's/axle.

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=9265900#9265900
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: