Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

2.0 ABA Swap
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 5, 6, 7 ... 53, 54, 55  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
danfromsyr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 19, 2017 11:13 am    Post subject: Re: 2.0 ABA Swap Reply with quote

iirc, Tritessa is actually referring to an I4 installation into a Bay window bus..

those go in at 15* and are tight to the top of the enginebay.
similiar to this

moar pikturs https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_search.php?search_author=stereodt
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
danfromsyr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 19, 2017 11:18 am    Post subject: Re: 2.0 ABA Swap Reply with quote

and to add to the BAY diversion of this thread. here's an install with alot of creative solutions to fitment issues

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=417243
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Vanagon Nut
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 19, 2017 12:07 pm    Post subject: Re: 2.0 ABA Swap Reply with quote

ABA block alternator position options: smaller OD GM alternator with Mk2 brackets or the Mk3 accessory bracket that locates alternator lower down kind of in the stock AC pump position.

As to making a lower profile intake, and this is just a gut feeling with no real basis, with the fuel rail "flipped" 180º which angles it further away from the intake lower plenum, to me it seems a little "wrong" to have the fuel rail exposed and becoming one of, if not the, highest point on the engine. To my eye, with a low profile intake, even with the rail in the OEM position, it still seems suspect. But then the WBX has the rails somewhat exposed ..... < shrugs >

Neil.

not a great image of what I mean but shows position of the flipped rail. The intake runners would be in a lower position than stock runner section shown.

1988 West DIY 50º ABA

VE7TBN
danfromsyr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 19, 2017 4:07 pm    Post subject: Re: 2.0 ABA Swap Reply with quote

custom intakes aren't unheard of, just uncommon..

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=8091825

in a 50* 1.8T install
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=496255

h00drat
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 20, 2017 10:01 am    Post subject: Re: 2.0 ABA Swap Reply with quote

danfromsyr wrote:
custom intakes aren't unheard of, just uncommon..

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=8091825

That is an awesome intake setup.
Engine Conversion Thread (2.0 ABA Swap)
ABA Swap - Image Gallery
Auto Trans Rebuild - Image Gallery
danfromsyr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 20, 2017 11:33 am    Post subject: Re: 2.0 ABA Swap Reply with quote

lotsa custom and creative options..

I can't yet find jut a ABA intake falnge out of like 3/8in )(8mm) plate..
https://www.google.com/search?q=vw+aba+intake+flan...20#imgrc=_

like this guy had waterjetted for a motorcycle carb install.
link if pic don't work
http://i190.photobucket.com/albums/z274/FROZEN337/manikit.jpg

h00drat
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 20, 2017 11:49 am    Post subject: Re: 2.0 ABA Swap Reply with quote

I have a friend with access to a laser cutter. If we could build a template, I could have blanks made quite easily and for not a ton of money. In fact I could just send him one of my intakes and he could make blank plates.
ABA Swap - Image Gallery
Vanagon Nut
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 20, 2017 12:00 pm    Post subject: Re: 2.0 ABA Swap Reply with quote

My bias aside, for sure. Of course. People do use lower profile intakes and w/o issue to the fuel rail I'm sure. I wanted to build one and may do so someday. Possibly out of steel. (though 1/4" plate for flange at head may be too thin. If I buy another welder, it might be TIG but $$.....). I figured 1.25" pipe and likely a round tube plenum but rectangular might mean less fabrication work.

I think one has to consider how much work they want to put into rerouting PCV pipes, idle valve etc. I know these things can be done differently, e.g use a catch can, but again, my bias points me towards keeping it as OEM as possible.

FWIW, I found PVC pipe, elbows, wood, useful to mock things up to get an idea of pipe angles etc. I think it was " 1" " pipe that I used. The silicone or rubber transition is something I'd wondered about too though with the plenum straight out so far, would vibration cause any issues if using hose transitions? I guess strategic bracing would quell that? However Turbod16v shows the European 1.6 with a factory intake off alternator side of engine that uses plastic flange and rubber transitions. To save costs, I'd thought I'd cut up-mark aluminum stubs then get a fabricator to weld them to a cut lower ABA plenum. Not sure how the angles would work out though. From there I'd transition with hoses to steel runners, plenum.

Heres what I was using as an example for my intake mock up. icolquhoun on this forum built it. He has more pics of the same build here. This is also the fellow I'd pointed to regarding other VW coolant hoses for ABA one could use. Looking closely, it appears he used a cut ABA lower plenum for flange and stubs.

1988 West DIY 50º ABA

VE7TBN
h00drat
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 20, 2017 12:04 pm    Post subject: Re: 2.0 ABA Swap Reply with quote

That's a nice intake as well. I too would rather keep things as close to stock, if possible.
ABA Swap - Image Gallery
Vanagon Nut
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 20, 2017 12:17 pm    Post subject: Re: 2.0 ABA Swap Reply with quote

heres icolquhoun post on alternative VW hoses for the ABA swap

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=651652&highlight=aba

1988 West DIY 50º ABA

VE7TBN
h00drat
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 20, 2017 12:23 pm    Post subject: Re: 2.0 ABA Swap Reply with quote

Bookmarking now, and adding to me shopping list. Super helpful.
ABA Swap - Image Gallery
h00drat
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 20, 2017 12:53 pm    Post subject: Re: 2.0 ABA Swap Reply with quote

When he says "(1) roll of 5/8" ID heater hose"...what size roll is he talking about?
ABA Swap - Image Gallery
Turbod16v
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 20, 2017 1:33 pm    Post subject: Re: 2.0 ABA Swap Reply with quote

Vanagon Nut wrote:

an intake like this could easily be made with mild steel, and using that European lower intake flange, probably done in a day.
this same picture is what ill be going for when i do my swap finally and since I am using an ABF/TDI no A/C setup my alternator does not sit up nearly that high.
first manifold will be made all out of exhaust pipe like my original short runner for my 16v.
Zeitgeist 13
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 20, 2017 1:41 pm    Post subject: Re: 2.0 ABA Swap Reply with quote

Yes, I'm making my ALH intake manifold out of mild steel. It will look like that one, but with shorter runners. I bought a plasma cut intake flange, and the plenum is from a Mk4 dash protection bar.

'89 Bluestar ALH w/12mm Waldo pump, PP764 and GT2052
'01 Weekender --> full camper
y u rune klassik?
Vanagon Nut
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 20, 2017 2:38 pm    Post subject: Re: 2.0 ABA Swap Reply with quote

Turbod16v wrote:
Vanagon Nut wrote:

an intake like this could easily be made with mild steel, and using that European lower intake flange, probably done in a day.
this same picture is what ill be going for when i do my swap finally and since I am using an ABF/TDI no A/C setup my alternator does not sit up nearly that high.
first manifold will be made all out of exhaust pipe like my original short runner for my 16v.

A persons' skill level notwithstanding, I totally agree.

Wish I could easily find that alternator bracket.

I'd suggest that 1.25" mandrel bent aluminized J or U pipe is not common. But then I live in a smaller town. Wink

Unless I'm seeing things incorrectly, using U or J pipe would save time and use less seams.

Neil.

1988 West DIY 50º ABA

VE7TBN
Zeitgeist 13
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 20, 2017 4:34 pm    Post subject: Re: 2.0 ABA Swap Reply with quote

I'm using the curved section of this mandrel bent stanchion for the intake runners. I used this to lift the drivetrain into place. It was originally a video store DVD display case that I acquired for free from a Habitat for Humanity retail store.

I'm frugal and resourceful; aka a cheap bastard.

y u rune klassik?
Turbod16v
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 20, 2017 5:15 pm    Post subject: Re: 2.0 ABA Swap Reply with quote

Vanagon Nut wrote:

go junkyarding! you're in Canada the mk3 (93-99) diesel and turbo diesel golf/jetta and passat without a/c used the bracket up there, even some base model 2.0 aba's and city 1.6l's used it in canada.
use www.car-part.com find some local yards with a no a/c alternators and go hunting! Cause they are getting so old you mite end up looking through motor piles or on shelf units. most of them cars are getting crushed.

there are two different types of no a/c brackets though!!

type A: internal tensioner that looks just like the stock aba with A/C bracket, alternator sits just a little lower than stock position and is higher than the water pump on block.

type B: Little bracket with a spring sticking out of the bottom, better known as the Heavily priced ABF style that was really used on just about everything and hardly ever an actual ABF!! alternator sits almost on top of the water pump which is lower on block.

but also keep in mind the alternator is different on ABF style than the aba.

last resort ebay.de . my bracket was $5 U.S and $40 for the shipping!!
Vanagon Nut
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 20, 2017 9:55 pm    Post subject: Re: 2.0 ABA Swap Reply with quote

Turbod16v wrote:
Vanagon Nut wrote:

go junkyarding! you're in Canada the mk3 (93-99) diesel and turbo diesel golf/jetta and passat without a/c used the bracket up there, even some base model 2.0 aba's and city 1.6l's used it in canada.

there are two different types of no a/c brackets though!!

type A: internal tensioner that looks just like the stock aba with A/C bracket, alternator sits just a little lower than stock position and is higher than the water pump on block.

type B: Little bracket with a spring sticking out of the bottom, better known as the Heavily priced ABF style that was really used on just about everything and hardly ever an actual ABF!! alternator sits almost on top of the water pump which is lower on block.

but also keep in mind the alternator is different on ABF style than the aba.

last resort ebay.de . my bracket was $5 U.S and $40 for the shipping!!

Ah yes. Junk yarding. Only one bone yard where I live and the others are a ferry ride away. meh. Crying or Very sad

Excellent points and info. Especially about the 2 non AC bracket types. I know what you mean. My in progress ABA swap has the NON AC with alternator still up high. I really need to start scouting EU eBay. I've 90% finished my mount baskets so..... But enough about my swap! Wink

I think Hoodrat is using AC?

Not a great pic but FWIW, heres what the AC capable bracket looks like on my 15º ABA. (this engine runs with the popular "AC delete" setup).

1988 West DIY 50º ABA

VE7TBN
h00drat
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 21, 2017 9:15 am    Post subject: Re: 2.0 ABA Swap Reply with quote

I'd like to keep AC if I can. The 1.8 motor I pulled from the Fox has the AC compressor on the lower left, which definitely won't work with the diesel engine mounts. My van hasn't had working AC since I got it...but it is plumbed for it. It has the ceiling mounted unit.

I did discover in the "parts basket" that came with my motor a bunch of different mounting brackets, an alternator, and a PS pump. Plus I have all of the stuff on the 1.8. It'll be a puzzle project!

More baby steps last night. Got the diesel oil pump and engine mounts on. I'm sure they'll be off and on a few more times, but wanted to see how they fit.

I also got the 1.8 out of the Fox so I can start pulling parts. Most interesting in seeing if the exhaust header will work or not.

ABA Swap - Image Gallery
Zeitgeist 13
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 21, 2017 10:00 am    Post subject: Re: 2.0 ABA Swap Reply with quote

I'm guessing that the Fox intake manifold will have some significant interference with the driver side frame rail if you want to use it and the 1.8 head. Btw, what's the engine code for the 1.8? Don't think I've seen a steel upper timing cover without a center VW logo before.

y u rune klassik?
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 5, 6, 7 ... 53, 54, 55  Next
Jump to:
Page 6 of 55

Jump to: