Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

2.0 ABA Swap
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 50, 51, 52, 53, 54, 55  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
h00drat
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2018 11:32 am    Post subject: Re: 2.0 ABA Swap Reply with quote

tristessa wrote:
Crying or Very sad

Let me know if you need a hand with things -- I'm leaving my job at the end of August and could probably spare a day or two. Not terribly familiar with the inner workings of the automatic but I can turn wrenches and provide grunt labor.

Thanks for the offer! I'm being encouraged to rebuild it myself. People are saying it isn't too hard. Worth a shot for the low cost, I suppose.

Moving in to new house & baby #2 due in October make things more challenging, so I probably won't touch it for a while. I'll let you know if I do, though.
Engine Conversion Thread (2.0 ABA Swap)
ABA Swap - Image Gallery
Auto Trans Rebuild - Image Gallery
h00drat
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2019 11:27 am    Post subject: Re: 2.0 ABA Swap Reply with quote

Hey all! Long time no update.

I finished my auto trans rebuild and got it back in the van about a week ago. It is running and shifting great!

While I was at it, I figured I would update my air intake, so I moved it to the right side, in front of the right tail light, and used the Jaguar intake instead of an open cone.

I feel like the engine runs better, and it IS quieter.

Still pretty loud, but I feel like that is exhaust related.

Anyway, I am still working on ironing out some bugs, one of which, is a new found SMALL coolant leak. It appears to be coming from these two connectors. Has anybody found a better 90 degree hose solution coming from the thermostat housing? I struggled to find good 90 degree options, and I think they might be too loose, even with the clamps on.

Connectors circled in yellow.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

For the curious, some photos of my new intake setup have been added to the end of my Google Image Gallery.
https://photos.google.com/u/1/share/AF1QipOHcvfNHb...pBYW14ckVn

And a picture of us installing the rebuilt tranny, just for fun.

ABA Swap - Image Gallery
Vanagon Nut
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2019 12:38 pm    Post subject: Re: 2.0 ABA Swap Reply with quote

I'm using these Gates hoses off the coolant housing. IIRC, I used smooth worm gear type clamps at hoses to coolant pump housing. No leaks so far that I've seen.

edit: the hose type, routing from plastic manifolds (aka crack pipes) to oil cooler etc is likely somewhat different than your hose routing, type. IOW, those Gates hoses I show might put the plastic manifold inlets, outlets too high or low.

Neil.

1988 West DIY 50º ABA

VE7TBN
tristessa
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2019 12:42 pm    Post subject: Re: 2.0 ABA Swap Reply with quote

h00drat wrote:
Has anybody found a better 90 degree hose solution coming from the thermostat housing? I struggled to find good 90 degree options, and I think they might be too loose, even with the clamps on.

If the hose sizes work out, possibly some soldered copper fittings can be used to create what you need. We had to do that in a couple of places on Kubler's hightop where we needed tighter bends than hose could provide, plus the branch off to the coolant reservoir.

Nifty chart showing the OD of various copper pipe can be found at https://www.petersenproducts.com/Copper-Tubing-Sizes-s/1979.htm. Fittings go over the pipe and can be used to enlarge the OD if needed, and soldering a loop of wire around the end helps give a lip for the hose to grab onto. Build what you need, clean the flux, paint it black and go to town...
h00drat
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2019 12:43 pm    Post subject: Re: 2.0 ABA Swap Reply with quote

Right on. I might give one of those a shot. I remember now having one of those on my "wish list" on Amazon, but I forgot why Rolling Eyes
ABA Swap - Image Gallery
Vanagon Nut
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2019 12:52 pm    Post subject: Re: 2.0 ABA Swap Reply with quote

h00drat wrote:
..... but I forgot why Rolling Eyes

Ya, I hear ya. Wink

to echo Tristessas comments, the copper soldered junctions I made are still holding up. In particular the somewhat long heater core-coolant bottle return junction to coolant pump that is kind of free hanging but "loosely" secured to the firewall.

Neil.

1988 West DIY 50º ABA

VE7TBN
h00drat
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2019 4:09 pm    Post subject: Re: 2.0 ABA Swap Reply with quote

Minor update. Still keep an eye out for leaks, but it appears that for now tightening my hose clamps has stopped the leaks. If they keep loosening up I will look at alternate hose and/or clamp options.

Tans is still shifting well, and the re-routed intake has made a positive difference in the overall internal volume level.
ABA Swap - Image Gallery
Tbob
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2019 6:03 am    Post subject: Re: 2.0 ABA Swap Reply with quote

Just wanted to echo the soldered copper tubing/fitting connertor hack, I have been doing it for decades, with excellent results. Off the shelf components, wire soldered around the outlet tubes, and I have never had one fail.
Just an aside, the big box stores, Home Depot especially, do not carry a full line of possible fittings. The big box stores computer analyse every inch of shelf space to make sure that it maximizes profit.and if that slightly odd fitting you are looking for does not sell enough times in whatever period they judge needed, it will not be on the shelf there, do not be suprised. Go find a real hardware store or plumbing supply store for a fuller range of fittings.
1985 Westfalia, stock!
1986 Westfakia, Audi I-4 conversion
A couple of trucks and a couple of Jeeps
h00drat
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2019 9:16 am    Post subject: Re: 2.0 ABA Swap Reply with quote

Changing gears a bit here...

Weird thing happened last night. Driving along, and the motor just completely stalls. Volt gauge still showing power, still have power to lights and everything, but the motor completely dies. It feels electrical because it doesn't chug or anything like I would expect from a fuel related issue.

Starts right back up and runs fine afterwards. It did it twice last night, and once this morning.

I checked the coil and other visible connectors in the engine bay and they look fine. Not really sure what else to check. Grounds?
ABA Swap - Image Gallery
danfromsyr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2019 9:39 am    Post subject: Re: 2.0 ABA Swap Reply with quote

on DIY "engine swapped" vans I've on occasion had issues with a ecu power relay dropping, did you get a Tach drop?
this is why I like the OBD-II, is I can see actively what the ECU 'thinks' is happening. my old 1.8l Digifant wouldn't offer any assistance.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
h00drat
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2019 9:41 am    Post subject: Re: 2.0 ABA Swap Reply with quote

danfromsyr wrote:
on DIY "engine swapped" vans I've on occasion had issues with a ecu power relay dropping, did you get a Tach drop?
this is why I like the OBD-II, is I can see actively what the ECU 'thinks' is happening. my old 1.8l Digifant wouldn't offer any assistance.

Yes - tach drops.
ABA Swap - Image Gallery
Vanagon Nut
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2019 9:43 am    Post subject: Re: 2.0 ABA Swap Reply with quote

If the tach drops when it happens, that indicates an electrical fault.

A faulty connection to the RPM sensor, or a bad sensor, can cause the engine to stall or not start.

The RPM sensor connector is white.

Swap in new ignition switch when fault happens?

Is ground strap properly re-installed between tranny and frame? There's a note in Bentley regarding that. I assume it applies to the manual and auto tranny Vanagon.

Neil.

1988 West DIY 50º ABA

VE7TBN
vwhammer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2019 9:44 am    Post subject: Re: 2.0 ABA Swap Reply with quote

I assume the engine does not sputter or anything like that before it stalls like it is running out of fuel?

Could be something in a fuel line or pickup or filter that floats around and blocks a line when fuel is flowing.

Then once it stalls what ever the blockage is falls away since there is no suction on the line anymore.

Then the process repeats.

Probably a long shot.

Of course if something blocked the fuel line completely the engine would instantly get no fuel so it might not actually sputter when the line gets blocked.
It would just die.

Last edited by vwhammer on Thu Jan 24, 2019 9:47 am; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Yahoo Messenger Instagram Classifieds Feedback
h00drat
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2019 9:47 am    Post subject: Re: 2.0 ABA Swap Reply with quote

It doesn't sputter or anything. Just a sudden drop off. Definitely leaning towards electrical vs. fuel related.

Neil - thanks for the tips. I'll check those places.

Ignition switch is fairly new. 1 year or so.
ABA Swap - Image Gallery
Vanagon Nut
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2019 9:48 am    Post subject: Re: 2.0 ABA Swap Reply with quote

Was writing while Dan posted. Wink

re: ECU ("power supply") relay. The old style used a PCB design. It can develop cold solder joints. Please see below. If you have that type of relay and suspect its the issue, if possible, gently move the wires to it side to side to see if you can re create the fault at idle.

When my ECU relay failed, I don't think it threw a DTC under OBD1. Maybe it would've under OBD2 ?

Neil.

old style power supply relay case

1988 West DIY 50º ABA

VE7TBN
h00drat
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2019 9:55 am    Post subject: Re: 2.0 ABA Swap Reply with quote

I'll check the relays. They are under the bench seat, and I wonder if they could be "bumped" while I was working on something else.
ABA Swap - Image Gallery
Vanagon Nut
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2019 9:56 am    Post subject: Re: 2.0 ABA Swap Reply with quote

If the PS relay is cutting out intermittently due to a cold solder joint you might be able to resurrect it by re heating the solder joints. I did this with my programmable wiper relay. It's been solid for many miles since.

Neil.

1988 West DIY 50º ABA

VE7TBN
Vanagon Nut
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2019 9:58 am    Post subject: Re: 2.0 ABA Swap Reply with quote

h00drat wrote:
I'll check the relays. They are under the bench seat, and I wonder if they could be "bumped" while I was working on something else.

Possibly.

As I'm sure you're thinking, I'd look towards things disturbed, R&R'd etc while doing your tranny rebuild. Hopefully the stall fault will become consistent.

Neil.

1988 West DIY 50º ABA

VE7TBN
h00drat
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2019 1:17 pm    Post subject: Re: 2.0 ABA Swap Reply with quote

Hmm. No major updates. Worth mentioning that the relays are all brand new and were supplied by Dave when he built the wiring harness. I haven't been keeping good track, but I don't think I have more than 2 to 3k mile on the rebuild yet.

Anyway, I checked and cleaned up some connectors, checked all my grounds. Not seeing any obvious culprits. It hasn't stalled since Friday, however it has had a few "hiccups" but without fulling stalling. And yes, confirmed, the tach needle does drop.

I'm going to keep a close eye on it.

The only other thing I changed during the trans installation was moving the air intake to the right side of the engine bay. This did move the AFM much further from the intake manifold, but I'm not sure otherwise how this could be causing the stall.
ABA Swap - Image Gallery
h00drat
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2019 6:28 pm    Post subject: Re: 2.0 ABA Swap Reply with quote

Okay...

So on my way to work it seemed fine. On my way home it was really bad. Not full stalls, but cut outs.

Noteworthy, I warm up my van before going to work, but not home. Does it being worse when cold make any sense?
ABA Swap - Image Gallery
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 50, 51, 52, 53, 54, 55  Next
Jump to:
Page 51 of 55

Jump to: