Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

2.0 ABA Swap
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 35, 36, 37 ... 53, 54, 55  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
This page may contain links to eBay where the site receives compensation.
uberaudi
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2018 9:37 pm    Post subject: Re: 2.0 ABA Swap Reply with quote

Not firing...so it is turning over then?

Check the obvious fuel and spark. Do you have some of each? Smile
h00drat
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 13, 2018 9:41 am    Post subject: Re: 2.0 ABA Swap Reply with quote

Traced it back to a bad coil. Fortunately I had two. Fired up with the new coil.

Ran it for about 20 minutes at 2-3k rpm to seat the new cam and lifters and it sounded great. Didn’t want to idle though...so I’ll work on that next.

Also working on getting the CV’s back on. I repacked them while I had them out.

Very close to first drive and break in miles. I’ll post a video of it running tomorrow when I’m back on a computer.
Engine Conversion Thread (2.0 ABA Swap)
ABA Swap - Image Gallery
Auto Trans Rebuild - Image Gallery
Zeitgeist 13
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 13, 2018 11:33 am    Post subject: Re: 2.0 ABA Swap Reply with quote

Congrats on the spark of life.

'89 Bluestar ALH w/12mm Waldo pump, PP764 and GT2052
'01 Weekender --> full camper
y u rune klassik?
nemobuscaptain
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2018 8:06 am    Post subject: Re: 2.0 ABA Swap Reply with quote

h00drat wrote:
Traced it back to a bad coil. Fortunately I had two. Fired up with the new coil.

Ran it for about 20 minutes at 2-3k rpm to seat the new cam and lifters and it sounded great. Didn’t want to idle though...so I’ll work on that next.

Also working on getting the CV’s back on. I repacked them while I had them out.

Very close to first drive and break in miles. I’ll post a video of it running tomorrow when I’m back on a computer.

My mechanic mentioned that coil as a high fail item and said it's the one part he'd carry for an ABA engine.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/FullMoonBusClub

RIP Bob Hoover https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=427791
Hoover Sermons: https://www.vwsage.com/images/vwsage/Bob%20Hoovers%20Sermons.pdf
h00drat
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2018 8:34 am    Post subject: Re: 2.0 ABA Swap Reply with quote

nemobuscaptain wrote:

My mechanic mentioned that coil as a high fail item and said it's the one part he'd carry for an ABA engine.

Good to know! I'll see if I can grab another spare.

The second one I had came with my motor, but it's clearly aftermarket. It does work, but it doesn't have the easy access post for the tach wire, so I threw a space connector on it, which works, but is probably not a long term solution.

It looks like this might be a cheap aftermarket coil, so I'll probably try to find a reliable one to run full time, and use this one as a backup.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Video as promised (hopefully this plays). Again, running at 2 - 3k rpm's to seat the cam and lifters.

Definitely still some bugs to work out. Oh, and what a PITA packing and installing CV's is.

Photobucket is being dumb...so here's a link to view the video of it running:
https://photos.app.goo.gl/KGVorJ5KQRbt5kkx5

It ran consistently around 150 degrees (head and block). I'm sure it will get hotter under load.
ABA Swap - Image Gallery
Turbod16v
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2018 10:33 am    Post subject: Re: 2.0 ABA Swap Reply with quote

congrats!

on the coil, the modules usually, or rarely go generally just the coil, you can reuse the module and buy a MSD blaster type coil that just about all auto parts stores carry for alot cheaper and use it.
h00drat
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2018 10:54 am    Post subject: Re: 2.0 ABA Swap Reply with quote

Turbod16v wrote:

on the coil, the modules usually, or rarely go generally just the coil, you can reuse the module and buy a MSD blaster type coil that just about all auto parts stores carry for alot cheaper and use it.

Not sure I understand how to run an "msd blaster type" coil with the old module...can you explain further, or point me somewhere for reference?
ABA Swap - Image Gallery
Turbod16v
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2018 11:14 am    Post subject: Re: 2.0 ABA Swap Reply with quote

Vanagon Nut wrote:

my added tach wire.

when you pop that cap off the side covering the 2 posts, that is your positive and negative . cut the module free of the bracket an coil and just run wire from them two to the new msd coil. depending on what kind of coil wire you got, you might have to pick up a terminal kit to put a new end on the coil wire to mach the MSD.
Turbod16v
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2018 11:20 am    Post subject: Re: 2.0 ABA Swap Reply with quote

https://shop.advanceautoparts.com/p/msd-ignition-c...lsrc=aw.ds

thats the coil i've used for ABA's
h00drat
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2018 8:12 am    Post subject: Re: 2.0 ABA Swap Reply with quote

CV's are back on! Moved the van about 10 feet last night under it's own power. ha!

Still dealing with a no idle issue. Cleaned the ISV last night which didn't help. Scratching my head a bit since I'm not very familiar with this motor.

On to trouble shooting...

EDIT: Also dealing with the oil light flashing constantly. There are two oil pressure wires hooked up - .3 and .9 bar. Any insight into testing to make sure the sensors are working, and that I have it wired up correctly?
ABA Swap - Image Gallery
Vanagon Nut
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2018 2:04 pm    Post subject: Re: 2.0 ABA Swap Reply with quote

Awesome news Tyler. On slow wifi here near Jhon Day OR so havent viewed video yet.

Odd that coil failed. Maybe those grrn telefnkens arent so great? LOL.

For oil light issue, could a lack of a tach signal be causing this? That said, mine goes out as normal, no tach input.

Neil.

1988 West DIY 50º ABA

VE7TBN
h00drat
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2018 2:33 pm    Post subject: Re: 2.0 ABA Swap Reply with quote

Vanagon Nut wrote:
Awesome news Tyler. On slow wifi here near Jhon Day OR so havent viewed video yet.

Odd that coil failed. Maybe those grrn telefnkens arent so great? LOL.

For oil light issue, could a lack of a tach signal be causing this? That said, mine goes out as normal, no tach input.

Neil.

You're in my neck of the woods! Stop in Hood River and I'll buy you a beer (or two or three) for all of your input on this project.

I found some instructions on oil pressure switch testing, so I'll give them a test. First priority is getting the thing to IDLE. So tonight I'll be back to it. I'm just glad I don't have to crawl under it again for a while (hopefully).

The tach signal could be fairly weak...however the tach IS working fine.

Also going to get an computer on it as soon as I can to see what kind of error codes I'm throwing. I suspect there are a few Wink
ABA Swap - Image Gallery
vwfreek61
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2018 3:47 pm    Post subject: Re: 2.0 ABA Swap Reply with quote

This is the coil I used in my van:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Ignition-Coil-for-VW-Volk...2798933967

It came with the tach wire already attached.
1987 Vanagon Westy w/Subaru EJ25 and reversed 4EAT
h00drat
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2018 4:06 pm    Post subject: Re: 2.0 ABA Swap Reply with quote

vwfreek61 wrote:
This is the coil I used in my van:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Ignition-Coil-for-VW-Volk...2798933967

It came with the tach wire already attached.

That's a nice price tag Very Happy
ABA Swap - Image Gallery
h00drat
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2018 9:22 am    Post subject: Re: 2.0 ABA Swap Reply with quote

Follow up...

Oil Pressure Switches:
I tested the low pressure switch via the method in this video and the test light did NOT light up. This switch is brand new. Not sure what this means...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-QEms7EGCPU

I won't be able to test the high pressure switch until I can get the van to idle.

Idle Issue:
ISV - cleaned
Throttle body - cleaned
Checked electrical of all of the following via the Bentley:
- ISV
- TPS
- MAF

Still no idle.

There is a rubber cap on the little black box that goes into the ISV. I pulled this cap off and it ALMOST idled.

Noteworthy...

1. I have eliminated the purge valve and have the nipple on top of the TB capped.
2. I eliminated EVAP. Covered intake opening, did nothing with the wiring.
3. Cam is TTT 268 street
4. ECU came with a TTT "cam" chip in it (purchased used), but I DO NOT know if the chip is for a 268 cam. I suspect this could be the issue.

Hopefully my OBD dongle shows up tomorrow so that I can try to pull some codes and see what's going on.
ABA Swap - Image Gallery
tristessa
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2018 12:00 pm    Post subject: Re: 2.0 ABA Swap Reply with quote

h00drat wrote:
You're in my neck of the woods! Stop in Hood River and I'll buy you a beer (or two or three) for all of your input on this project.

If it looks like this will happen, let the rest of us know. I'd be down with a trip to HR for a beer or three some evening.

Dealing with shift rod issues with my buddy's '81 swap -- turns out the early diesel rod is different than aircooled and we're missing that part. Going to attempt to replicate it...
Vanagon Nut
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2018 12:33 pm    Post subject: Re: 2.0 ABA Swap Reply with quote

h00drat wrote:
Vanagon Nut wrote:

Neil.

I found some instructions on oil pressure switch testing, so I'll give them a test. First priority is getting the thing to IDLE. So tonight I'll be back to it. I'm just glad I don't have to crawl under it again for a while (hopefully).

The tach signal could be fairly weak...however the tach IS working fine.

Also going to get an computer on it as soon as I can to see what kind of error codes I'm throwing. I suspect there are a few Wink

Thanks for the invite Tyler!

We're heading east into Idaho, Montana but who knows where we'll end up. You jnow how road trips can go. Wink

The motronic system is "adaptive". So, for sure, that aspect applies to the idle contril system. Multiple restarts may help settle the idle. And FWIW, every time the battery is disconnected, the ecu loses memory of settings. eg for position idle control valve should go to when engine started.

You should be able to read codes using the jumper wire "blink code" method. This is shown in a3 bentley for the 2x2 style connector. IIRC, it explains how to do same with the more modern style plug.

The oil pressure switch logic is the same as the wbx 2 1 So, that logic, as its shown in he vanagon bentley should apply. It may be that the test methods are the same for wbx and jetta aba. From memory, the low pressure switch should open after engine stars and the higher pressure switch should remain closed when engine is running.

Neil.

1988 West DIY 50º ABA

VE7TBN
h00drat
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2018 1:14 pm    Post subject: Re: 2.0 ABA Swap Reply with quote

Right on! Enjoy the trip.

You know, I actually read in the Bentley last night that the ECU "remembers" idle. So I can't help but wonder if disconnecting the battery to "reset" the ECU wouldn't be a bad place to start.

Blink codes come from the MIL wire right? If so I could try that. I'll dig into the Bentley again tonight.
ABA Swap - Image Gallery
h00drat
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2018 1:43 pm    Post subject: Re: 2.0 ABA Swap Reply with quote

Disconnected and reconnected battery ground. No luck.

Also switched the FPR hose from one nipple on the intake manifold to the other. No difference.

I can't help but wonder if this hose is bad. It's not new. Might try a new vacuum hose.

Here's a little clip for reference.

That first start is as close as it has come to idling after start without giving it gas.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/1MIs4zJACQ36XKsl2
ABA Swap - Image Gallery
Vanagon Nut
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2018 10:57 am    Post subject: Re: 2.0 ABA Swap Reply with quote

Yes. The idle control is part of the adaptive aspect of motronic.

Is brake booster nipple at intake connected or temporariliy plugged?

Bypass the fuel pump relay (make pump run constantly). See if that makes it keep running.

Yes. You need to connect the MIL light to read blink codes. All im familiar with is the 2x2 type connector. With that type of connector, to read blink codes, one connects-disconnects the ground to yellow ecu (k buss???) wire. The method is shown in bentley. The later style connector uses the same idea.

1988 West DIY 50º ABA

VE7TBN
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 35, 36, 37 ... 53, 54, 55  Next
Jump to:
Page 36 of 55

Jump to: