Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

This is for someone into 914s and type 1s
Forum Index -> Porsche - 911/912/914 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
andk5591
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 10, 2017 4:34 pm    Post subject: This is for someone into 914s and type 1s Reply with quote

Have never touched a 914 and had a potential customer bring his 70 914 over for me to look over to see if I am interested in working on it in the spring. This car has a 2 liter with Weber IDFs. Engine is no problem. Have recently worked on type 3 and type 4 engines with success.

Have been working on type 1s for over 12 years, with multiple ground up builds and several total customs with 1 being featured in multiple magazines. Did an engine install in a 356B a year or so ago. Recently got a 77 bay back on the road that was a total hack by the previous owner. So, I know which end of a wrench to hold.

What I am asking is, how far from what I am used to is a 914? Obviously a shop manual would be in order and I am sure there a lot of online resources as well. I am asking for your 2 cents.....
"John's car" 64 VW woodie - The first ever
Maxine 61 Cal-look bug - Cindy's daily driver.
Max - 73 standard Beetle hearse project - For sale
66 bug project - Real patina & Suby conversion
There's more, but not keeping them...
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Wolfgangdieter
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 10, 2017 5:24 pm    Post subject: Re: This is for someone into 914s and type 1s Reply with quote

You'll find rust is the biggest destroyer of 914s - your in prime 914 rust country. Engine, trans and suspension are all strong.
origowner
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 10, 2017 10:05 pm    Post subject: Re: This is for someone into 914s and type 1s Reply with quote

As the orignal owner of a 68 bug and I have my second 914 now for 3 years, I can comment a little on the differances. I did almost everything on a complete bug restoration. On my 914 I need to have the fuel injection done, transmission work, shift cable tube fix, and timing. Timing was the one big differance, the timing marks is located through a hole with a mirror.

The 914 is great fun to drive except for the challenge of shifting in and out of first gear. Parts can be expensive, The Samba and 914 World sites are helpful.
andk5591
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 11, 2017 5:29 am    Post subject: Re: This is for someone into 914s and type 1s Reply with quote

Yeah - setting timing on a pancake is a bitch. Been through that. And fortunately this has been converted to carbs, so that part is easy(?). The car looks really good. Had been repainted at some point, but looks very solid. Thinking it has not seen much if any road salt. There are a couple bubbles on the fenders and we will probably be doing a repaint in the spring when I have him bring it back to the shop.

Only thing that kind of sucks is that it looks like it has been dropped some and has lower profile tires. I personally love the look and stance, but the owner wants it brought up some...Will try to compromise with him and just bring it up a little. LOL
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
[email protected]
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 11, 2017 8:43 am    Post subject: Re: This is for someone into 914s and type 1s Reply with quote

If you are good at working on a bug you will be equally as good at working on a 914. Just a type four engine with some 911 looking suspension components and unibody construction. Many of the switches are the same as the bug and the wire colors do the same thing. Easy! (that is why we made a life of doing the 914 parts repairs restoration and sales.) Call us if you need any consultation.
andk5591
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 11, 2017 1:30 pm    Post subject: Re: This is for someone into 914s and type 1s Reply with quote

OK - Thanks...When I looked over the car, I felt pretty good about the idea anyway.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Porsche - 911/912/914 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: