Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Will this Rear Bumper fit my 66 Beetle
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Murt
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 11, 2017 3:19 am    Post subject: Will this Rear Bumper fit my 66 Beetle Reply with quote

Hi There
I have been looking for a new rear bumper to fit my Feb 1966 beetle, and I've seen this this one advertised on the classifieds.
Will this fit my beetle ? as it's for a 67 only model ? I'm guessing it will fit, but just wanted some confirmation
Cheers
Dave

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

2017 Golf GTD saloon
2008 VW EOS 2.0 TFSi
Sharp64
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 11, 2017 4:31 am    Post subject: Re: Will this Rear Bumper fit my 66 Beetle Reply with quote

Yes. The sloping towel bars are the only difference.
“...some men aren't looking for anything logical, like money. They can't be bought, bullied, reasoned, or negotiated with. Some men just want to watch the world burn.” - Michael Caine
hitest
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 12, 2017 7:10 pm    Post subject: Re: Will this Rear Bumper fit my 66 Beetle Reply with quote

I would think an owner of a '67 who needed that bumper would trade you the nicest '66-'56 bumper in England for it.

I wonder what the nut looks like.

'62 L390 151, '62 L469 117, '63 L380 113, '64 L87 311, '65 L512 265, '65 L31 SO-42, '66 L360 251, '68 L30k 141, '71 L12 113, '74 ORG 181

FU#5
Murt
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 12, 2017 11:46 pm    Post subject: Re: Will this Rear Bumper fit my 66 Beetle Reply with quote

I spoke to the owner yesterday in Italy, really nice guy
But he couldn't say if the Bumper was a genuine one, couldn't find any markings etc.
So I'm still looking. If he had said it was genuine, I would have driven to Italy get it !!! Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy
I'm going to head over to the whinge page and have a good old moan Very Happy
2017 Golf GTD saloon
2008 VW EOS 2.0 TFSi
Keith
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 13, 2017 12:07 am    Post subject: Re: Will this Rear Bumper fit my 66 Beetle Reply with quote

It’s genuine. They didn’t reproduce the ‘67 only bumper, so that is your first clue and the fact that there are no rubber grommets between the towel rail and the blade is your second clue.

"I firmly believe that some villagers from Botswana could probably build a better road than PennDot."- Splitty

"If you do anything to your car someone will hate on you for it. People absolutely love to complain and find fault with others. Don't let it bother you. Just live and have fun."- Lind
67ctbug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 13, 2017 5:36 am    Post subject: Re: Will this Rear Bumper fit my 66 Beetle Reply with quote

hitest wrote:
I would think an owner of a '67 who needed that bumper would trade you the nicest '66-'56 bumper in England for it.

X2
'63 Ragtop
'73 914
'73 Dodge W200
'72 Dodge Wrecker
Go Cubs!
World Series Champions 2016
KentPS wrote:
...or the PO envied the terrorists' bus in "Back to the Future". Laughing

mukluk wrote:
He's fine, just waiting for the dragon in winklepickers to move out of his lane.
Murt
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 13, 2017 6:08 am    Post subject: Re: Will this Rear Bumper fit my 66 Beetle Reply with quote

Cheers Gents

I have contacted the chap, and hopefully he's getting back to me with a shipping cost Very Happy
2017 Golf GTD saloon
2008 VW EOS 2.0 TFSi
iowegian Premium Member
Samba Curmudgeon

PostPosted: Mon Nov 13, 2017 6:56 am    Post subject: Re: Will this Rear Bumper fit my 66 Beetle Reply with quote

Murt wrote:
Cheers Gents

I have contacted the chap, and hopefully he's getting back to me with a shipping cost Very Happy

Start driving.
Murt
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2017 11:18 pm    Post subject: Re: Will this Rear Bumper fit my 66 Beetle Reply with quote

Hi
The gent in Italy has sent me some higher resolution photos. If genuine, does anyone know if it will have a stamp into the metalwork somewhere ?? a number or 'VW' something like that, sorry don't have any photos of the reverse. The car it's going on is the last photo....... My Baby Very Happy

2017 Golf GTD saloon
2008 VW EOS 2.0 TFSi
glutamodo Premium Member
The Android

PostPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2017 11:26 pm    Post subject: Re: Will this Rear Bumper fit my 66 Beetle Reply with quote

The bumper on the back of my 62 is German, not a 67 though, older, but it's got a VW stamp near the bottom edge, facing up, inside:

IMAGE NOTE: It has been noted that Chrome based browsers may have issues in displaying my vast image library, which use non-secure links and are on an FTP server. Images should still be viewable if the link is clicked though.
I do not know how to fix this. All I can say is it all works fine for me with what I use, Firefox.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Sharp64
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 15, 2017 4:15 am    Post subject: Re: Will this Rear Bumper fit my 66 Beetle Reply with quote

As mentioned earlier, no one has reproduced the 67 only rear bumper. It’s original.

You do realize to mount this properly you will need to drill holes into your fenders right?
“...some men aren't looking for anything logical, like money. They can't be bought, bullied, reasoned, or negotiated with. Some men just want to watch the world burn.” - Michael Caine
Murt
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 15, 2017 4:53 am    Post subject: Re: Will this Rear Bumper fit my 66 Beetle Reply with quote

Hi there
Yes, I think you mean these ? they're are the support brackets for the rear towel rail ??
VW heritage, and Just Kampers sell them in the UK, along with the rubber bushes etc.

2017 Golf GTD saloon
2008 VW EOS 2.0 TFSi
Sharp64
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 15, 2017 5:04 am    Post subject: Re: Will this Rear Bumper fit my 66 Beetle Reply with quote

Yep. Seems a shame to drill a hole in those nice clean fenders. Ironic that you are so concerned with the originality of the bumpers, but putting non original US Spec bumpers on a Euro car....
Murt
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 15, 2017 11:04 am    Post subject: Re: Will this Rear Bumper fit my 66 Beetle Reply with quote

Yes
I know, I’m still agonising over it Sad
I really love your US rear fenders, and my bug is totally stock, so not sure what to do now, the P.O. has fitted Brazilian chrome ones front and back, and to be honest they’re pretty tinny, I’ve just got a lead on an original front blade Euro spec, so will follow that up. But you’ve really got me thinking
Dave
2017 Golf GTD saloon
2008 VW EOS 2.0 TFSi
67ctbug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 15, 2017 11:07 am    Post subject: Re: Will this Rear Bumper fit my 66 Beetle Reply with quote

If your car is all OG I would put blades on then. I wouldn't want to drill holes in OG parts.
'63 Ragtop
'73 914
'73 Dodge W200
'72 Dodge Wrecker
Go Cubs!
World Series Champions 2016
KentPS wrote:
...or the PO envied the terrorists' bus in "Back to the Future". Laughing

mukluk wrote:
He's fine, just waiting for the dragon in winklepickers to move out of his lane.
hitest
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 15, 2017 12:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Will this Rear Bumper fit my 66 Beetle Reply with quote

67ctbug wrote:
If your car is all OG I would put blades on then. I wouldn't want to drill holes in OG parts.

I absolutely agree. And after seeing your beetle I am reminded how very very wrong it would look to have the '67 bumper. If you need to have 3 or 4 fenders repainted- I'd convert to US spec, but boy your car looks nice.

I wonder what the nut looks like.

'62 L390 151, '62 L469 117, '63 L380 113, '64 L87 311, '65 L512 265, '65 L31 SO-42, '66 L360 251, '68 L30k 141, '71 L12 113, '74 ORG 181

FU#5
Jody '71
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 15, 2017 10:04 pm    Post subject: Re: Will this Rear Bumper fit my 66 Beetle Reply with quote

So, what type bumper do you have up front??? I wouldn't mess up those rear fenders with a hole saw, they're much too nice. Plus, you need to know the EXACT location of the holes. I think the rear bumper you have on there now looks great.
Murt
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 15, 2017 11:25 pm    Post subject: Re: Will this Rear Bumper fit my 66 Beetle Reply with quote

Thanks Guys
Comments as always, are very appreciated, and well received.
So Jody, yes I have Euro Blades on Front and back Very Happy Standard on this model over here, as I said in the post earlier in the thread, I'm tracking down a OEM front blade, that I have a lead on, Woman has told me she has a 67 one year only Beetle, squirelled away in a garge, and has quite a few bit's and bobs in there as well, including she thinks a genuine front bumper, so I'm going to follow that avenue as well. Towel rail one has been purchased from Italy, and is being shipped tomorrow to France ( Much cheaper than to England )and it's going to my son who lives out there, he's going to bring it ( fingers crossed as there are a few horror stories about regarding Italian Postal system ) to England in December as he's coming home for Christmas to the UK. So effectively I have 4 weeks to decide what to do. At least I'll have a decent part, I could get it refurbished and sell it easily in the UK if needed, as you guys have pretty much put me off drilling those holes in my fenders ( we call them wings Very Happy ) so thank you all for your kind advice
I'll update when the item arrives.
Car is a Garage Queen at the moment, and I can't wait until the New Year to get out in it again. I can't understand why all of our 'nice' newer cars sit on the drive, while the Bug gets a garage, and I use my 2006 Beetle as my daily driver ?? how does that work Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy
2017 Golf GTD saloon
2008 VW EOS 2.0 TFSi
turbotype1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 16, 2017 5:40 am    Post subject: Re: Will this Rear Bumper fit my 66 Beetle Reply with quote

Murt wrote:
as you guys have pretty much put me off drilling those holes in my fenders ( we call them wings Very Happy ) so thank you all for your kind advice
I'll update when the item arrives.

It's your car. Why don't you do what YOU want with your car? Let them worry about what gets done to THEIR cars……
I say go for it….. Drill baby drill…. Put those US spec bumpers on!!!
This new fad of get it the lowest, or run it with the worst looks, (patina) isn't cool, it's for the hey everyone look at me crowd, i'm driving a beat down ratty, unsafe, VW, how cool am I ???...your not....

Pissing off the purists since 1997

Wanted: Boyd Motors plate frame

57 Turbo Oval Sliding rag
67 13 window delux walk-thru- now 21
64 all original for the misses
83 Sinka m-TDI diesel
turbotype1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 16, 2017 5:41 am    Post subject: Re: Will this Rear Bumper fit my 66 Beetle Reply with quote

Double post
This new fad of get it the lowest, or run it with the worst looks, (patina) isn't cool, it's for the hey everyone look at me crowd, i'm driving a beat down ratty, unsafe, VW, how cool am I ???...your not....

Pissing off the purists since 1997

Wanted: Boyd Motors plate frame

57 Turbo Oval Sliding rag
67 13 window delux walk-thru- now 21
64 all original for the misses
83 Sinka m-TDI diesel

Last edited by turbotype1 on Thu Nov 16, 2017 7:16 am; edited 1 time in total
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: