Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

high idle and reving
Page: Previous  1, 2
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
This page may contain links to eBay where the site receives compensation.
pushkick
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2018 3:44 pm    Post subject: Re: high idle and reving Reply with quote

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

here are my latest measurements. it seems that now i have 450ma on isv and before i was getting only 150 -200 ma . i have disconnected the ps sw and a/c sw. it seems i may have an intermittent signal from the temp sensor or power, or coil/diz. ran engine for 30 mins @ idle and 2000+ rpms then idle started going up and then unplugged the isv and idle went to normal them plugged isv back in and idle stayed normal ! need to make this happen again and then look at signal to isc. maybe isv is going bad. couldnt find a new one at gw or vc. one guess at this point is the windings in the isv (solenoid) heat up due to plunger wear or insulation of windings degradation. second guess is isc isnt working properly after running for awhile. someone who has a good isv could you please check resistance on pins and pin to casing? 3rd guess is a loose connection somewhere and is intermittently breaking connection.
1990 vw automatic camper
pushkick
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2018 12:46 pm    Post subject: Re: high idle and reving Reply with quote

since the idle goes up after the engine is warm and has been run at 2000-3000rpm and the air from afm is going into the isv. basically it bypasses the thriottle body. the pic of the system in pro training manual shows air going into isv from afm by passing the throttle body.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

1990 vw automatic camper
pushkick
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2018 5:22 pm    Post subject: Re: high idle and reving Reply with quote

i put an oscilloscope on the diz signal to isc and it seems to be within spec at idle and 2000-3000 rpm. the signal to isv seems to be a steady pulse that dosent change duty cycle when engine is revved but it is a nice square wave pulse of 1.5ms every 5ms. no matter the rpm. i need to check signal after engine gets up to speed. i think i read in another thread that the signal to isv was a pulse width modulated signal but the signal i was looking at that did not happen. now i noticed that when i simulated power steering sw activation (jumpered it) there was some pulse width modulation or pulse width increase to about 2ms and the engine rpm increased.
1990 vw automatic camper
pushkick
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 27, 2018 10:44 am    Post subject: Re: high idle and reving Reply with quote

has anyone used a eurovan isv on a waterboxer? looks like the same unit.
i found this one on ebay

https://www.ebay.com/itm/New-Idle-Air-Control-Valv...1773015388
1990 vw automatic camper
dobryan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 27, 2018 12:03 pm    Post subject: Re: high idle and reving Reply with quote

Same symptoms here on my new to me 1991. Ran fine for 1600 miles from Denver to Maryland. Then Friday I drove 30 miles to pick up a part and the last 5 miles the engine was surging while driving, and at 'idle' it would bounce from 1000 to 3000 rpms in a few seconds, lather rinse repeat. At the fellows house the idle then spiked at 4000 rpm and held there. No mechanical source found but disconnecting the ISV wiring dropped the idle to normal. Drove home fine. Currently running without the ISV connected to the harness.

"To travel hopefully is a better thing than to arrive." Robert Louis Stevenson

MD>Canada>AK>WA>OR>CA>AZ>UT>WY>SD
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=620646

Building a bus for travel in Europe (euroBus)
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=695371

The Western Syncro build
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=746794
pushkick
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 27, 2018 12:49 pm    Post subject: Re: high idle and reving Reply with quote

dobryan wrote:
Same symptoms here on my new to me 1991. Ran fine for 1600 miles from Denver to Maryland. Then Friday I drove 30 miles to pick up a part and the last 5 miles the engine was surging while driving, and at 'idle' it would bounce from 1000 to 3000 rpms in a few seconds, lather rinse repeat. At the fellows house the idle then spiked at 4000 rpm and held there. No mechanical source found but disconnecting the ISV wiring dropped the idle to normal. Drove home fine. Currently running without the ISV connected to the harness.

that is exactly what i am doing right now. but i am trying to troubleshoot the isc and isv signals to try and determine the component that is not working properly. i found that the isc was faulty in my van so i found a used one that worked and i replaced the power steering sw and that got rid of the bouncing rpm. but i am still running around 2000 rpm with the isv connected and i have disconnected the a/c and the ps sw and checked the tps at the isc and the diz signal and temp signal. every thing seems fine. the current to isv is around 450 ma which is where it is suppose to be according to bently.
1990 vw automatic camper
Aryana
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 28, 2018 12:28 am    Post subject: Re: high idle and reving Reply with quote

Just replace the idle stabilization valve. You’ll see...
pushkick
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 01, 2018 4:23 pm    Post subject: Re: high idle and reving Reply with quote

Aryana wrote:
Just replace the idle stabilization valve. You’ll see...

well i just changed the isv and it looks like it has solved the problem. idle is back to around normal. i havent ran the engine at 2000-3000 for 30 min to see if it stays working at when engine gets to temp. will have to take for a long drive.
very difficult trouble shoot these devices. need to check air flow and electrical functionality. since this system is an open loop system it is difficult to trouble shoot since there is no measurement of air flow through unit.
1990 vw automatic camper
Aryana
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 01, 2018 6:51 pm    Post subject: Re: high idle and reving Reply with quote

Yep. I parked in front of Van Cafe replacing literally everything before I tried replacing the ISV which was the culprit.

It hummed and made me think it was ok, but a known good one from another van is the only way to troubleshoot if yours is bad.
pushkick
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2018 12:33 pm    Post subject: Re: high idle and reving Reply with quote

this is very disappointing seems the isv helped on start and acceleration but after running for 30 min at 2500-3000 rpm then same old thing idle would stay around 1500 - 2000 rpm while idling , runs fine when cold. i changed the temp sensor i guess i will disconnect temp sensor at isc and see if that changes things or what effect it has on the isc operation. as i noted earlier the throttle body has the groves in the butterfly and where it meets the throttle body housing.
1990 vw automatic camper
Aryana
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2018 12:54 pm    Post subject: Re: high idle and reving Reply with quote

Do you have a copy of the Digifant Pro training manual?
pushkick
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2018 3:57 pm    Post subject: Re: high idle and reving Reply with quote

Aryana wrote:
Do you have a copy of the Digifant Pro training manual?

yep sure do but i have stepped through most of the troubleshooting and i have either missed something/overlooked something. i dont know what to look for next.
1990 vw automatic camper
Aryana
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2018 8:14 pm    Post subject: Re: high idle and reving Reply with quote

Try unplugging the ICV and install something inside the tube from the ICV to the intake boot to plug the flow and see how it runs.

This completely takes the ICU circuit out of operation and lets you possibly isolate the root cause.
pushkick
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 23, 2018 2:37 am    Post subject: Re: high idle and reving Reply with quote

i am going to change the throttle body for a different one (newer no signs of wear) since the old throttle body has signs of wear and i dont seem to be able to adjust the idle to slow down with the idle screw even though it is turned all the way cw. will see if this helps.
1990 vw automatic camper
pushkick
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 23, 2018 2:39 am    Post subject: Re: high idle and reving Reply with quote

Aryana wrote:
Try unplugging the ICV and install something inside the tube from the ICV to the intake boot to plug the flow and see how it runs.

This completely takes the ICU circuit out of operation and lets you possibly isolate the root cause.

i am going to try this and see what happens just got to figure out how to plug tube maybe rubber stoppers.
1990 vw automatic camper
pushkick
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2018 4:59 pm    Post subject: Re: high idle and reving Reply with quote

seems like the new throttle body has helped with the high idle after running @ 2500-3000 rpm for 20-30 min. ran down the freeway and didnt have the high idle when i got off the interstate. so new icv and isv and newer throttle body that wasnt worn seems like it has solved the problem. thanks for everyone input and advice. sometimes these problems are very difficult to troubleshoot with the bently procedures due to multiple worn or failing parts/devices.
1990 vw automatic camper
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: