Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Need help please, stranded on I-57 Update: No longer stranded
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
williamM
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 12, 2017 4:05 am    Post subject: Re: Need help please, stranded on I-57 Reply with quote

just because it's "new" doesn't mean it's good- If good spark (1/4" or better ) from the coil- your back to the rotor.--

opinion untempered by fact is ignorance.

Don't step in any!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
gintaras
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 12, 2017 5:42 am    Post subject: Re: Need help please, stranded on I-57 Reply with quote

williamM wrote:
just because it's "new" doesn't mean it's good- If good spark (1/4" or better ) from the coil- your back to the rotor.--

And I can understand that, but chances are pretty high that it's not the rotor, I am seeing the same exact behavior with 2 different cap and rotor sets.

The rotor turns when the engine cranks...
I have replaced the cap and rotor, no change in behavior, it HAS to be the coil or the distributor itself. Only problem is, I have a CA emission bus, my coil is is different than a Federal emission. They can get me one in Paducah tomorrow, at Advanced Auto, but there is no guarantee that will fix it, so I am looking at options for renting a Uhaul truck and dolly to drive it up to Chicago where I live.
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 12, 2017 6:31 am    Post subject: Re: Need help please, stranded on I-57 Reply with quote

Use an old spark plug plugged into the end of each wire in turn to see if you are getting spark. You can open the gap real wide if you want to give it a real test. The treads of the plug need to be touching a good ground.
gintaras
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 12, 2017 6:35 am    Post subject: Re: Need help please, stranded on I-57 Reply with quote

Wildthings wrote:
Use an old spark plug plugged into the end of each wire in turn to see if you are getting spark. You can open the gap real wide if you want to give it a real test. The treads of the plug need to be touching a good ground.

Definitely not getting spark..

I am still looking for specs, but I think my coil is shot.
Getting 1.1 ohm on the primary
3000 on the secondary
gintaras
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 12, 2017 7:19 am    Post subject: Re: Need help please, stranded on I-57 Reply with quote

Does this mean my coil is good?

https://youtu.be/4brvQqxQjRc

If so, then it looks like I've narrowed it down to the distributor..
Can I just get a classic style distributor and coil from the FLAPS I am at?
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 12, 2017 7:42 am    Post subject: Re: Need help please, stranded on I-57 Reply with quote

The spark has to be going to ground somewhere, it can not just disappear. The cap and rotor are supposed to act as insulators to keep the spark from grounding out to either the distributor shaft or the distributor body, so since you changed out these parts the problem should have been fixed if it was in the distributor to start with. How much up and down movement does the shaft have? How much side to side?

How about removing the cap and dust shield from your distributor and taking some pictures for us.
gintaras
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 12, 2017 7:53 am    Post subject: Re: Need help please, stranded on I-57 Reply with quote

This is a picture of the original rotor, I swapped it out just to see if it would work with the new cap, no change.. There is no side play in the shaft, but I can move it up and down about 5 mm.. the distributor is only about 18 months old

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 12, 2017 8:05 am    Post subject: Re: Need help please, stranded on I-57 Reply with quote

That looks like a rotor for a Digifant distributor, don't know if it would cause a problem with an L-jet distributor or not.
gintaras
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 12, 2017 8:07 am    Post subject: Re: Need help please, stranded on I-57 Reply with quote

Wildthings wrote:
That looks like a rotor for a Digifant distributor, don't know if it would cause a problem with an L-jet distributor or not.

You have to understand that this is the rotor that came with my bus when I bought it 3 years ago and I have put 40000 miles on it. It's a CA emissions vehicle, and not a lot of people can look at these parts and recognize them.

I really want to convert this over to Fed emissions soon, finding these parts is a PIA
Wasted youth
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 12, 2017 10:26 am    Post subject: Re: Need help please, stranded on I-57 Reply with quote

My 1981 Vanagon air cooled engine had a distributor that looked just like that. I had a no start situation like you and discovered that the three wire plug to the distributor body had bad connectors inside.

I discovered this by accident, and when I wiggled the plug I would get an intermittent start/run condition. Not saying this is your problem and I'm not even sure if it's actually related to your problem, but it couldn't hurt to try and wiggle that plug around or at least check the connectors while you crank it.

I wound up stripping back the insulation and soldering new wires in the plug.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
gintaras
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 12, 2017 10:34 am    Post subject: Re: Need help please, stranded on I-57 Reply with quote

Thanks everyone. I rented a uhaul and am towing her back home for now.
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 12, 2017 10:45 am    Post subject: Re: Need help please, stranded on I-57 Reply with quote

If I had spark at one end of a wire, and not at the other end I would certainly replace that wire to make sure it wasn't broken inside or arcing to ground somewhere along its length. If I didn't think that could be the problem, I could pull a plug wire off, stick a spark plug in one end and the other in the coil. That would tell me if I was getting spark at the coil. If I wanted to, I could even remove the wire from #1 terminal on the coil and momentarily ground and release #1 to see if I then got spark.
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 12, 2017 11:09 am    Post subject: Re: Need help please, stranded on I-57 Reply with quote

gintaras wrote:
Wildthings wrote:

You have to understand that this is the rotor that came with my bus when I bought it 3 years ago and I have put 40000 miles on it. It's a CA emissions vehicle, and not a lot of people can look at these parts and recognize them.

I really want to convert this over to Fed emissions soon, finding these parts is a PIA

You distributor should be essentially the same as what came with a Digijet fueled Vanagon, but you rotor matches the one that came with a Digifant which is quite different. I recognize that this may or may not be part of your problem, but it could be a contributing factor in causing the spark to bleed off somehow. I would suggest buying the correct L-jet rotor and giving it a try as it seem that the rotor would be the most likely part to kill the spark to all cylinders and you might as well get the one that is most correct for you application. The Vanagon Bentley on page 28.31 shows the Digijet rotor looking just like the late Bay rotor and not like the later Digifant Vanagon rotor.
Tom Powell
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 12, 2017 11:22 am    Post subject: Re: Need help please, stranded on I-57 Reply with quote

Wasted youth wrote:
My 1981 Vanagon air cooled engine had a distributor that looked just like that. I had a no start situation like you and discovered that the three wire plug to the distributor body had bad connectors inside.

I discovered this by accident, and when I wiggled the plug I would get an intermittent start/run condition. Not saying this is your problem and I'm not even sure if it's actually related to your problem, but it couldn't hurt to try and wiggle that plug around or at least check the connectors while you crank it.

I wound up stripping back the insulation and soldering new wires in the plug.

I have an '87 Vanagon with the Digitool ECU monitor. At cruise speeds I had an intermittent loss of power. The Digitool identified a loss of injector pulse. That problem seems to have been resolved by cleaning the three wire connection at the distributor with DeeOxit products. That connection, here in Hawaii, seems to be vulnerable to corrosion from our salt spray air.

You can't hurt anything by just exercising that connection.

Aloha
tp
raygreenwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 12, 2017 1:13 pm    Post subject: Re: Need help please, stranded on I-57 Reply with quote

Wildthings wrote:
gintaras wrote:
Wildthings wrote:

You distributor should be essentially the same as what came with a Digijet fueled Vanagon, but you rotor matches the one that came with a Digifant which is quite different. I recognize that this may or may not be part of your problem, but it could be a contributing factor in causing the spark to bleed off somehow. I would suggest buying the correct L-jet rotor and giving it a try as it seem that the rotor would be the most likely part to kill the spark to all cylinders and you might as well get the one that is most correct for you application. The Vanagon Bentley on page 28.31 shows the Digijet rotor looking just like the late Bay rotor and not like the later Digifant Vanagon rotor.

This is correct. It is the same as a digifant distributor. The guts are the same.

The difference in the rotors ....just going off memory is the height.

As long as whatever rotor he is using is not to short or too high to make proper contact to the carbon brush it should not be an issue.

Of course...anything is worth a try. And thinking about this and looking at the pictures...I am inclined to agree there may be an issue....notice that there is a gouge in the distributor cap next to teh carbon brush...and a lot of red-ish dust on the rotor...which may be carbon dust and is just a fluke of the camera. The rotor may be sitting up too high

The other issues with Hall effect come from the plug contacts. They are not especially robust in the pin style. The male pin usually uses a horizontal blade connection instead of vertical.

They sit in a "cup" or recess in the female plug. They can get water and corrosion in them......precisely as Tompowell was getting at.

This issue "may" also be cause by a defective ignition module or a dirty hall effect sensor. If any tinkering has been done you can also get a hall module that is out of alignment.

Also make sure that if you have vacuum advance..make sure that the arm for the vacuum advance can has not slipped off of the lug that holds it to the plate. That can make timing be so far out it will not start. Ray
Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 12, 2017 2:33 pm    Post subject: Re: Need help please, stranded on I-57 Reply with quote

The gouge and filth on the rotor and cap are all bad.

I also had trouble with the Hall effect connector on water cooled VW this era
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 12, 2017 2:48 pm    Post subject: Re: Need help please, stranded on I-57 Reply with quote

raygreenwood wrote:

The difference in the rotors ....just going off memory is the height.

The difference in the rotor is the width of tip, the Digifant has no built in advance mechanism and thus needs a much wider tip. I really don't know if the wider tip is an issue when used on the earlier distributors, but would consider it causing problems a possibility.
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 12, 2017 3:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Need help please, stranded on I-57 Reply with quote

gintaras wrote:
Thanks everyone. I rented a uhaul and am towing her back home for now.

end of this part of the story.
Starbucket
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 12, 2017 3:46 pm    Post subject: Re: Need help please, stranded on I-57 Reply with quote

Hopefully he posts what it was, when he finds out.
telford dorr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 12, 2017 4:29 pm    Post subject: Re: Need help please, stranded on I-57 Reply with quote

Couple of notes on this era of ignition.

1) It' a good system - if you leave it alone and keep it in working order. If you screw around with it, it can be a pain in the a$$.

2) The 3-terminal connector on the side of the distributor is downright fragile. The plastic is brittle and breaks easily. It's a poor mechanical design (IMNOHO).

3) The coil is special (higher turns ratio, lower primary resistance). A regular coil won't work.

4) ALWAYS make sure the spark from the coil has someplace to go. NEVER leave the HV secondary wire disconnected such that it can't spark to something. Better to short the HV lead to ground. If that coil energy doesn't have a place to spark to, it feeds back to the ignition module and eats it. (Pertronix units are the same way.)
When you're dead, you don't know you're dead. The pain is only felt by others.
Same thing happens when you're stupid. - Philippe Geluck
More VW electrical at http://telforddorr.com/ (available 9am to 9pm PST)
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 2 of 5

Jump to: