Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Should I buy a bug??
Page: Previous  1, 2
Forum Index -> General/Chat Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
scottyrocks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 12, 2017 5:19 pm    Post subject: Re: Should I buy a bug?? Reply with quote

gt1953 wrote:
It appears to have a 2017 sticker on it. Do post some more images of the engine , trunk area. What are the long range plans.

The green car? That wasn't posted by the OP.

If the OP is gonna 'fix it up for him,' maybe he has enough moxie to keep it running for himself.

Also, we have been assuming it is rust-free but there is no way to know without pictures. It could be a mess under there.
andk5591
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 12, 2017 5:32 pm    Post subject: Re: Should I buy a bug?? Reply with quote

Quote:
P.S. I'm not sure I agree with the death-trap label, anymore. The argument just isn't scientific enough for me. It's true that Beetles lack a lot of modern safety features, but do people that drive them actually die more often than people who drive something else? If the answer to that question is no, or even anything other than a resounding yes, then a Beetle, by definition, is not a death-trap, regardless of how dangerous it might look. Food for thought!

OK Seriously? EVEN the later classic bugs with the collapsible steering column would still impale you. There are no crumple zones. There is NO side impact protection. Old test video - 20 mph side impact. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iNC0_TSsTRU Loads of other videos out there..... There are also comparisons of new vs classic beetle crash tests. And almost any car of the same era totally sucks in a crash, but bigger front engine, full frame cars will fair better. So not just picking on our cars.

Bottom line is that there really is nothing to argue. Modern cars are designed to be a lot safer. If you drive a classic VW, which both my wife and I do, you have to drive very defensively. If you don't you may get seriously hurt or worse.
"John's car" 64 VW woodie - The first ever
Maxine 61 Cal-look bug - Cindy's daily driver.
Max - 73 standard Beetle hearse project - For sale
66 bug project - Real patina & Suby conversion
There's more, but not keeping them...
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
hazetguy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 12, 2017 6:06 pm    Post subject: Re: Should I buy a bug?? Reply with quote

rustfree1967bug wrote:
Everyone on here seems to negative.

there's a difference between being negative and being 'been there, done that' realistic. the 'correct' answer is definitely not always GO FOR IT!!!!

love the KPIG sticker on the green beetle's back window.
BPremenko
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 12, 2017 6:33 pm    Post subject: Re: Should I buy a bug?? Reply with quote

I really appriciate yalls help!
Floating VW
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 13, 2017 9:07 am    Post subject: Re: Should I buy a bug?? Reply with quote

Sorry to hijack the thread a little, but I just want to make a short comment on this:

Quote:
OK Seriously? . . . Bottom line is that there really is nothing to argue. Modern cars are designed to be a lot safer.

I agree 100% with this, and you're right, this is a fact and there is no way to argue against it. But this is not the fact in contention here. To say that a Beetle doesn't have modern safety features, therefore it is a "death trap" isn't scientific enough to convince me. It is a logical fallacy to say, "A = B and B = C, therefore, A = C." It is possible that A = C, but you can only verify that if A and C are compared directly. For example, modern passenger airlines have practically zero safety features for the people on board- there are no airbags, no crumple zones, no parachutes, not even a 3-point safety harness- there is only a lap-belt and an oxygen mask. If the "Beetle is a death trap" rule applied here, then airplanes would be the mothers of all death traps. And yet, air travel is by far the safest way to get from point A to point B. Why? Because airplanes rarely crash, that's why. Is it not possible that VW Beetles, even though they lack modern safety features, simply don't crash that often? You made a good argument for this yourself:
Quote:
If you drive a classic VW, which both my wife and I do, you have to drive very defensively. If you don't you may get seriously hurt or worse.

It might very well be true that you are more likely to die driving a Beetle than any other vehicle, but it might also be true that Beetles stand out in a crowd like a sore thumb and their drivers are more aware of the dangers they are in, so they are less likely to crash, and therefore less likely to die in one. The point is, I am not aware of any statistical evidence proving either of these to be true (or false, for that matter). So, as I said earlier, the argument isn't scientific enough to convince me, but if anyone would like to debate this topic further, here are some good threads to revive:

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=635527
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=437727
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=676216
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=661768&postdays=0&postorder=asc

P.S. To the OP, I'm sure we would all love to give you some advice on how to get that Bug back into tip-top shape. You probably already know this, but in case you don't, make sure you post in the appropriate forums, in order to maximize the responses to your questions. Good luck, man.
sb001
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 13, 2017 7:21 pm    Post subject: Re: Should I buy a bug?? Reply with quote

BPremenko wrote:
Ive decided not to buy it but I am gonna fix it up for him

Huh?
You're asking for advice about buying it because you aren't familiar with bugs at all, but... now you're gonna fix it?

Be sure to post pics of it running and driving when you're done

1969 autostick sedan, family owned since new
1600 SP engine
Solex 30 PICT 3 carburetor
Bosch 113905205AE autostick distributor
andk5591
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 13, 2017 8:31 pm    Post subject: Re: Should I buy a bug?? Reply with quote

Quote:
It might very well be true that you are more likely to die driving a Beetle than any other vehicle, but it might also be true that Beetles stand out in a crowd like a sore thumb and their drivers are more aware of the dangers they are in, so they are less likely to crash, and therefore less likely to die in one. The point is, I am not aware of any statistical evidence proving either of these to be true (or false, for that matter).

Backing out of this. Not seeing much crash test data on a Ford Model T, so I guess they are safe. Follows the logic.

As far as the cars "standing out", not sure how much that is gonna help when you have a soccer mom in her Suburban answering a text as she drives over the ass end of a bug.

Moving on. And OP - get How to keep your VW Alive by John Muir. Will be a lot of help getting you familiar with the cars.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
rustfree1967bug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 15, 2017 9:14 am    Post subject: Re: Should I buy a bug?? Reply with quote

You all are too funny. You can argue about old vw's being unsafe all day. And yes, of course they don't have near the safety of a modern car. But how is it anymore unsafe than the millions of people who ride motorcycle? I refuse to let the fact that my little old vw doesn't have all the modern safety features of a 2017 keep me from driving them as much as possible. In fact if i didn't live where it gets below zero and the roads weren't salted i would only drive aircooleds year round.
'66 sunroof beetle
'74 bus
'67 so-42

IDA's...well... they talk dirty -MURZI
heimlich Premium Member
VWNOS.com

PostPosted: Wed Nov 15, 2017 10:25 am    Post subject: Re: Should I buy a bug?? Reply with quote

I drive mine daily too. Safety gets no points in my book. They are much more enjoyable to drive than a similar modern car.
5% Off your order with coupon code: 5%OFF
Restored Distributors Available (<--Click here)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
scottyrocks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 15, 2017 10:33 am    Post subject: Re: Should I buy a bug?? Reply with quote

rustfree1967bug wrote:
You all are too funny. You can argue about old vw's being unsafe all day. And yes, of course they don't have near the safety of a modern car. But how is it anymore unsafe than the millions of people who ride motorcycle?

That's not the point. The comparison was not between acvws and motorcycles. It was between acvws and modern cars. Although there are always anecdotal exceptions, as a generalization, acvws and motorcycles are dangerous, compared to modern cars, even those of the same size.
andk5591
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 15, 2017 1:46 pm    Post subject: Re: Should I buy a bug?? Reply with quote

With a bike, you are ALWAYS assuming that the car that is getting ready to turn on to the road you are on IS going to pull out in front of you. Mad
hitest
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 15, 2017 2:39 pm    Post subject: Re: Should I buy a bug?? Reply with quote

I've never been pro or against daily driving a VW, but my decision not to has switched from necessity to preservation over the years. I try to not amass very miles at a time on my ACVWs for two reasons: I have 5 cars to rotate and playing favorites exposes any one car to more risk.

I drove my (avatar) '63 beetle nearly to death every day for many years. Speeding as fast as possible on on-ramps and having to do some hard braking when people took advantage of their modern discs (disdain for my car by shafting me at intersections, etc). It's just the exposure to these idiots that assures me one day my car's number will be up. I feel I extend each car's life by this limiting- though my '71 is a blast on the freeway.

I love driving them and hate the fact I now have a 50 mile commute. You really have to wear a completely different driving hat every time you get behind the wheel of a beetle. I'm not entirely sure younger drivers have this ability. My 19 yo certainly does not yet.

I wonder what the nut looks like.

'62 L390 151, '62 L469 117, '63 L380 113, '64 L87 311, '65 L512 265, '65 L31 SO-42, '66 L360 251, '68 L30k 141, '71 L12 113, '74 ORG 181

FU#5
scottyrocks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 15, 2017 3:24 pm    Post subject: Re: Should I buy a bug?? Reply with quote

hitest wrote:
I've never been pro or against daily driving a VW, but my decision not to has switched from necessity to preservation over the years. I try to not amass very miles at a time on my ACVWs for two reasons: I have 5 cars to rotate and playing favorites exposes any one car to more risk.

I drove my (avatar) '63 beetle nearly to death every day for many years. Speeding as fast as possible on on-ramps and having to do some hard braking when people took advantage of their modern discs (disdain for my car by shafting me at intersections, etc). It's just the exposure to these idiots that assures me one day my car's number will be up. I feel I extend each car's life by this limiting- though my '71 is a blast on the freeway.

I love driving them and hate the fact I now have a 50 mile commute. You really have to wear a completely different driving hat every time you get behind the wheel of a beetle. I'm not entirely sure younger drivers have this ability. My 19 yo certainly does not yet.

Great points.

When I get into my '63, I have to gear-down my head because of the car's lack of capability, even compared to my '15 Civic 5MT.

You can't drive these things like modern cars. That's a sure way to wind up injured or dead.

As far as comparing acvws to motorcycles, if you ride a bike in a sane fashion, meaning at least close to legally on the streets, they still stop, handle, and accelerate better than our old cars, giving you a good chance of never making unwanted contact with another vehicle. If you do, however, you're usually in more trouble than getting hit in a vw, where there is something around you to absorb some impact energy.
mark tucker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 16, 2017 8:31 am    Post subject: Re: Should I buy a bug?? Reply with quote

I drive my bug no different that any other car for the most part, but the bug is funner than most and faster too. you could just go buy a pinto those were pertty modern and came equiped with a BBQ grill...my old 87 4 door dullie also had the BBQ duel function. GM even sent me a $500. voucher to buy a new grill.....the first autonomous buss hit the strets about a week ago and the first autonomous buss axident quickley ensued.... a garbage truck backed out of a ally into the rear of the bus....somuch for a perfect world where all axadent are eleminated and everything is safe..... so should you buy a bug??? yes by all means come on by and buy mine.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> General/Chat All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: