Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Howdy from Houston ! A bay window story and questions PICS
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
This page may contain links to eBay where the site receives compensation.
Coolaired4evr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 12, 2017 8:13 am    Post subject: Howdy from Houston ! A bay window story and questions PICS Reply with quote

I have always been a bus fan and always wanted a split window but can't afford them. I saw a post about one that was going up for auction due to engine fire . Vin: 2372150239. Looks like it was sold on eBay earlier this year and description of old ad talks about restoration that was performed. Unfortunately it had a small engine fire and the went to auction shortly after new owner purchased it. I bought this to fix and to feed my craving to go on short family outings. If you guys can give me some advice it would be greatly appreciated . Attached are pics when it was sold on eBay a year ago to see if someone recognizes it . I have a Phoenix red 914 2.0 that I wanted to sell a few years ago when I was buying a home but decided to keep it. Just can't put both kiddos in it. Thank you app for the response.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

KentABQ Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 12, 2017 8:41 am    Post subject: Re: Howdy from Houston ! A bay window story and questions PICS Reply with quote

Howdy Houston... Welcome to the Bay World.

I'm a bit confused on what you're asking help with. Are you asking if someone recognizes it, or are you asking for input on what to do with it?

No, I don't recognize it. But I'll tell you what I would do...
First of all, if the same bus has had two engine fires, install a Blaze Cut in that engine compartment before you drive it anywhere. www.blazecut.com

Second, check that all the fuel and brake lines are in good order and have been replaced in the past couple years.

Third, after a good, thorough and successful test drive... get out there and have fun! It's made for families like yours to get out, explore, and create great memories for your kids. Dancing

And after that, you'll learn how to fix things by the side of the road...

"I must say, how can you be in a bad mood driving this vehicle full of vibrant color.
Cars of today are so bland in comparison. It's like driving a celebration!"
---WildIdea

Bus ownership via emoticons:
Very Happy Shocked Mad Sad Embarassed d'oh! Pray Brick wall Pray Dancing Dancing Dancing ---williamM
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Sun Nov 12, 2017 9:34 am    Post subject: Re: Howdy from Houston ! A bay window story and questions PICS Reply with quote

I did some quick searching and I recognize it as being from this eBay auction and seller:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/222461494454

This seller is banned from the site for misrepresenting vehicles and abusing other members.
Feedback thread:
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=617178

It probably caught fire because of the person above who "restored" it.
I would assume everything on it needs immediate attention, including anything that you think is in good shape.
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
notchboy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 12, 2017 10:22 am    Post subject: Re: Howdy from Houston ! A bay window story and questions PICS Reply with quote

EverettB wrote:
I did some quick searching and I recognize it as being from this eBay auction and seller:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/222461494454

This seller is banned from the site for misrepresenting vehicles and abusing other members.
Feedback thread:
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=617178

It probably caught fire because of the person above who "restored" it.
I would assume everything on it needs immediate attention, including anything that you think is in good shape.

Bus looks like bad news if that guy had anything to do with it. Big Red Flag.

OK, this thread is over. You win.

Jason "notchboy" Weigel
1964 1500 S
1964 T34 S Convertible
1977 Westfalia Camper pop-top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
TDCTDI
Samba Advocatus Diaboli

PostPosted: Sun Nov 12, 2017 10:37 am    Post subject: Re: Howdy from Houston ! A bay window story and questions PICS Reply with quote

Wasn't this same bus mentioned here, in the same condition a year or so ago?

GOFUNDYOURSELF, quit asking everyone to do it for you!

An air cooled VW will make you a hoarder.

Do something, anything, to your project every day, and you will eventually complete it.
honestcharlie56
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 12, 2017 10:37 am    Post subject: Re: Howdy from Houston ! A bay window story and questions PICS Reply with quote

man that guy is trouble. I'm in houston too. I'd love to see the bus some time.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
heimlich Premium Member
VWNOS.com

PostPosted: Sun Nov 12, 2017 1:18 pm    Post subject: Re: Howdy from Houston ! A bay window story and questions PICS Reply with quote

Does the Bus run?

There are a few places around the Houston area that do good work. One of them all I have ever seen at is places is Beetles. He works on engines.

Another shop out by IAH works on everything.

I have parts. Shoot me an email and let me know what you need. What side of Houston are you on?
5% Off your order with coupon code: 5%OFF
Restored Distributors Available (<--Click here)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Coolaired4evr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 12, 2017 2:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Howdy from Houston ! A bay window story and questions PICS Reply with quote

Man you guys are awesome . Thanks for posting all the info on that eBay seller . I just tracked him down and asked a few questions and got some heated uneducated responses. I guess when people show you who they are best thing to do is listen . Well now I'm in a predicament. Either I pay for the bid I made to the auction or I pay to get out of it. 1k is what I would have to pay to jump out. Bus looks awesome but if it had a shady restoration or quick paint on engine to give it a new look for pics I may be in trouble . Dang it. Now I don't know what to do. I love the color but if I get it down here and it's a rust bucket I don't know what I'll do. It says California van on his old listing. Anyway I can verify this. I wish I knew who bought it and had the fire. I could get a few pointers from him:her. Thanks for all that replied and gave me advice. You guys are awesome !
KentABQ Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 12, 2017 3:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Howdy from Houston ! A bay window story and questions PIC Reply with quote

Yikes! I completely recant my previous posting.

RUN! And be glad you're only out a thousand dollars.
And if you can screw him out of that, even better! Laughing

"I must say, how can you be in a bad mood driving this vehicle full of vibrant color.
Cars of today are so bland in comparison. It's like driving a celebration!"
---WildIdea

Bus ownership via emoticons:
Very Happy Shocked Mad Sad Embarassed d'oh! Pray Brick wall Pray Dancing Dancing Dancing ---williamM
heimlich Premium Member
VWNOS.com

PostPosted: Sun Nov 12, 2017 4:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Howdy from Houston ! A bay window story and questions PICS Reply with quote

Get out of it. Email ebay and say the item is misrepresented based on what was found on this site.
5% Off your order with coupon code: 5%OFF
Restored Distributors Available (<--Click here)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Coolaired4evr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 12, 2017 4:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Howdy from Houston ! A bay window story and questions PICS Reply with quote

No it's not an eBay deal . The eBay seller sold it to someone in Illinois. It then caught on fire from engine bay and went salvage auction. I bought it at salvage auction and now have the option of backing out for 1k . That's where I am. Sorry if I wasn't clear . Thanks again folks .
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 12, 2017 5:34 pm    Post subject: Re: Howdy from Houston ! A bay window story and questions PICS Reply with quote

Unless shipping and the full purchase price including fees and taxes is also $1K you are likely wise to eat the $1K and lick your wounds. A running shiny bus from that clown sounds like a whole heap of trouble, one that has the added pain of a fire will put you off VW's for life.

Please don't PM technical questions, ask your problem in public so everyone can play along. If you think it's too stupid post it here
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!

Слава Україні!
igotta40
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 12, 2017 8:32 pm    Post subject: Re: Howdy from Houston ! A bay window story and questions PICS Reply with quote

Wow sorry to hear that how unfortunate. I'm also in Houston area.
aerosurfer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 13, 2017 12:47 am    Post subject: Re: Howdy from Houston ! A bay window story and questions PICS Reply with quote

We had a thread about this bus before. Someone was asking about opinions

77 Westy 2.0L Rockin and Rolling Resto!

72 Sportsmobile (sold)
79 Tran$porter... Parts car money machine (gone)
Coolaired4evr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 13, 2017 6:16 am    Post subject: Re: Howdy from Houston ! A bay window story and questions PICS Reply with quote

Areosurfer , any way of how to find old thread?
Spike0180
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 13, 2017 7:57 am    Post subject: Re: Howdy from Houston ! A bay window story and questions PICS Reply with quote

How big of a hack is the guy that redid this bus? He got banned from thesamba? He must be pretty bad. I'd run, sucks you are probably out $1,000. But better be out $1,000 than be out $15,000 and two years of your life restoring his restoration.
Other cars: 2003 F150, 2003 Jetta GLI vr6-6sp

Sambastic: adj; the quality of being nit picky, elitist, expecting everyone to do things the way they believe is best with no regard to situation, "sambastic"
Coolaired4evr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 13, 2017 8:36 am    Post subject: Re: Howdy from Houston ! A bay window story and questions PICS Reply with quote

I think you may be right spike,
Worst case scenario how much would a running and driving hack job with a half ass restoration be worth for the sake of driving ?
aerosurfer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 13, 2017 8:50 am    Post subject: Re: Howdy from Houston ! A bay window story and questions PICS Reply with quote

Coolaired4evr wrote:
Areosurfer , any way of how to find old thread?

Search for keywords at the top of the main page....

I remember it was an Arizona Auction that had it post fire and only had a few shows of it from in the lot there and not much else. It was a Cali guy who posted it up was asking about opinions for potential on towing it back and flipping.

77 Westy 2.0L Rockin and Rolling Resto!

72 Sportsmobile (sold)
79 Tran$porter... Parts car money machine (gone)
Spike0180
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 13, 2017 9:17 am    Post subject: Re: Howdy from Houston ! A bay window story and questions PICS Reply with quote

Coolaired4evr wrote:
Worst case scenario how much would a running and driving hack job with a half ass restoration be worth for the sake of driving ?

What ratio of driving to working do you want? and how safe do you want to be doing it? How would you like the car to drive?
Other cars: 2003 F150, 2003 Jetta GLI vr6-6sp

Sambastic: adj; the quality of being nit picky, elitist, expecting everyone to do things the way they believe is best with no regard to situation, "sambastic"
notchboy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 13, 2017 9:34 am    Post subject: Re: Howdy from Houston ! A bay window story and questions PICS Reply with quote

Coolaired4evr wrote:

Where is the bus? Maybe fly out to see it? Maybe contact one of the many amazing VW folk here on the samba to have a look at it its far away?

Id look for you if it were close for the cost of a 6 pack and burger. Just a thought before you go all in with throwing in the towel.

OK, this thread is over. You win.

Jason "notchboy" Weigel
1964 1500 S
1964 T34 S Convertible
1977 Westfalia Camper pop-top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: