Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

'79 F.I. Hard Start when Cold, stumped! FIXED!!!!
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Gregg in the 603
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 12, 2017 11:40 am    Post subject: '79 F.I. Hard Start when Cold, stumped! FIXED!!!! Reply with quote

Hey guys. I'm out of ideas! I'm chasing a very hard start issue, only when cold. I've checked everything. Purrs like a kitten when running, idles right away very well. Vacuum lines are good, look good and I don't see any leaks. All connected.

Fuel pressure (though not maintained on shutdown, probably need a new regulator) 40psi at the fuel rail with pump running, about 30psi when engine is running.
Thermo Time Switch gets warm to the touch after cranking over expected 8 second timeframe, seems good.
Cold Start Valve excellent spray pattern when supplied 12 volts and confirmed by Cruzin a year ago, works great
Auxiliary Air Regulator new Bus Depot Nissan model, works great and keeps revs high when cold, decreasing as it warms

It appears I can't get the CSV 12 volts when cranking. I grounded out (via jumper wire on the connector) the TTS to supply power directly to the CSV bypassing the TTS, but still can't get it to operate. I even unscrewed it from the intake air plenum and turned it around to check if it's spraying, nothing. I've run a test light on the CSV and TTS and they each only illuminate for a flash when initially cranking the starter. After that, nothing.
I was able to duplicate the test light flash by opening up the AFM cover and turning the vane so the fuel pump energizes. As soon as the fuel pump turns on, the test light flashes and that's it until I try it again.
So, it appears the CSV is not getting a sustained 12 Volts when cranking, any ideas what could be causing this?
I've been chasing this for a while, and its getting cold out!

Last edited by Gregg in the 603 on Sun Nov 19, 2017 3:50 pm; edited 1 time in total
cmonSTART
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 12, 2017 12:02 pm    Post subject: Re: '79 F.I. Hard Start when Cold, stumped! Reply with quote

I had to flip through my Bently to confirm it, but it appears CSV power goes through the double relay at some point. Bently says there may be a possible fault with the double relay if you're not getting power to a test light at the CSV when it's cold out.

FWIW, my bus starts pretty easily even without the CSV in cold weather.z
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 12, 2017 12:14 pm    Post subject: Re: '79 F.I. Hard Start when Cold, stumped! Reply with quote

A test light on 86 at the double relay would narrow down what to suspect is breaking down while cranking, power at 86 while it's cranking says suspect the TTS, a short flash or no power says relay issues.

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=334340

Please don't PM technical questions, ask your problem in public so everyone can play along. If you think it's too stupid post it here
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!

Слава Україні!
Gregg in the 603
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 12, 2017 1:15 pm    Post subject: Re: '79 F.I. Hard Start when Cold, stumped! Reply with quote

Right on guys, thanks for the input. Test light on terminal 86 of the double relay same thing, flashes for a second when cranking, but otherwise not illuminated. Is the double relay bad?
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 12, 2017 1:21 pm    Post subject: Re: '79 F.I. Hard Start when Cold, stumped! Reply with quote

be aware that there are two versions of the double relay in 1979. One for federal and one for California. I can't say what the difference would be if someone put the wrong one in. There are actually two different FI wiring diagrams for that year too. Make sure you are using the correct one.
Gregg in the 603
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 12, 2017 1:43 pm    Post subject: Re: '79 F.I. Hard Start when Cold, stumped! Reply with quote

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Thanks Steve. It is a '79 Cali that the PO converted thankfully and I'm riding the wave of that. I redid the harness and all of the parts of the FI is '77. The double relay is not original, but has the terminal placement on it.
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 12, 2017 2:07 pm    Post subject: Re: '79 F.I. Hard Start when Cold, stumped! Reply with quote

I haven't studied the AFC manual in a while so I could be wrong on this. What it looks like to me on a 1977:

The starter motor solenoid, when it is engaged provides power to 86a of the double relay. That passes thru the relay on a straight wire bus to pin 86. Pin 86 provides 12V to the CSV and TTS. I would start by checking to see if there is 12V to pin 86a when the starter is cranked. if not then the error is likely to be between the starter and pin 86a. If there is 12V as long as the starter is cranked, then I would check for 12V at pin 86 as long as the starter is cranked. If not then something is wrong inside the relay. If there is 12V at ping 86 then I would check to be sure there is 12V at one side of the CSV. The other side gets grounded thru the TTS.

Gregg in the 603
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 12, 2017 2:18 pm    Post subject: Re: '79 F.I. Hard Start when Cold, stumped! Reply with quote

Okay, pin 86a shows 10.34 volts while cranking, which should be within spec? Pin 86 shows .45 volts while cranking, so basically not much at all. Faulty double relay? Based on what you said, that's what it's looking like...
furgo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 12, 2017 3:12 pm    Post subject: Re: '79 F.I. Hard Start when Cold, stumped! Reply with quote

Gregg in the 603 wrote:
Okay, pin 86a shows 10.34 volts while cranking, which should be within spec? Pin 86 shows .45 volts while cranking, so basically not much at all. Faulty double relay? Based on what you said, that's what it's looking like...

These two pins should be at the same potential. You can easily measure for continuity by disconnecting the double relay and using a multimeter in continuity test mode. Putting one probe on pin 86 and the other on pin 86a should get the multimeter beeping, that is, ca. 0 Ohm.

Also to address other questions...

According to your picture, you've got the Bosch 0 332 514 120 11-pin double relay that should be correct for your Federal FI bus.

http://www.ratwell.com/technical/DoubleRelay.html#ident

Other than that, others have already given you great advice on what to test. This bit I don't understand, though:

Gregg in the 603 wrote:
It appears I can't get the CSV 12 volts when cranking. I grounded out (via jumper wire on the connector) the TTS to supply power directly to the CSV bypassing the TTS

If I were to bypass the TTS to have the CSV always grounded for test purposes, I would simply disconnect the TTS and ground the W terminal on the harness (looking at the diagram SGKent posted). But if I were to do this, I'd also watch out not to crank for too long...

Decode your M-Plate
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 12, 2017 3:13 pm    Post subject: Re: '79 F.I. Hard Start when Cold, stumped! Reply with quote

check for corrosion, pull the cover off the relay and see if either solder joint has broken. The wiring diagram shows they should be internally connected to one another. That doesn't mean that the TTS didn't go bad internally and short out, causing the wire inside the double relay to open up or melt solder.
Gregg in the 603
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 12, 2017 7:32 pm    Post subject: Re: '79 F.I. Hard Start when Cold, stumped! Reply with quote

Hey again. Opened up the double relay and checked the connection between 86 and 86a, shows zero Ohms, so connection looks good.

Solder looks good too.

Still not sure what's going on or what to check next? Thanks a lot so far for the help.

Quote:
If I were to bypass the TTS to have the CSV always grounded for test purposes, I would simply disconnect the TTS and ground the W terminal on the harness (looking at the diagram SGKent posted).

By 'grounded out', maybe I used the wrong term. I bridged the two molex connections on the injector plug in order to bypass the TTS. Is that not a proper method?

Last edited by Gregg in the 603 on Sun Nov 12, 2017 7:53 pm; edited 1 time in total
airschooled
Air-Schooled

PostPosted: Sun Nov 12, 2017 7:42 pm    Post subject: Re: '79 F.I. Hard Start when Cold, stumped! Reply with quote

Achtung! Exclamation

If your fuel pressure regulator is allowing the pressure to zero out after a few hours of sitting, it will take your system a few seconds of cranking to build enough pressure for the system to run correctly. In that time, the TTS might cut off the CSV so the CSV won't actually spray any fuel.

Assuming electrical gremlins are sorted out, you can check this theory easily… Before the first start of the day, turn the key on, but don't start the car. Use a pencil/dowel in the air filter intake to activate the AFM flap and run the fuel pump for ten seconds, or until your attached pressure gauge shows at least 30psi. With the pressure at 30psi, start the engine, and note any performance differences.

Good luck!
Robbie
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Gregg in the 603
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 12, 2017 7:46 pm    Post subject: Re: '79 F.I. Hard Start when Cold, stumped! Reply with quote

Thanks Robbie, I've tested that theory and assumed that was my problem since this first creeped up. I've pinned the AFM flap to energize the fuel pump. Fuel pressure pumps up to 40-41 psi within a second of energizing it (and drops to 0 within 3 seconds after shutdown). I've waited a good while and cranked. No noticeable difference.
airschooled
Air-Schooled

PostPosted: Sun Nov 12, 2017 8:11 pm    Post subject: Re: '79 F.I. Hard Start when Cold, stumped! Reply with quote

Gregg in the 603 wrote:
Thanks Robbie, I've tested that theory and assumed that was my problem since this first creeped up. I've pinned the AFM flap to energize the fuel pump. Fuel pressure pumps up to 40-41 psi within a second of energizing it (and drops to 0 within 3 seconds after shutdown). I've waited a good while and cranked. No noticeable difference.

Bentley would say to replace your FPR, but if it functions fine during operation………

Robbie
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 12, 2017 8:26 pm    Post subject: Re: '79 F.I. Hard Start when Cold, stumped! Reply with quote

asiab3 wrote:
but if it functions fine during operation………

Well yes, aside from that 10 extra psi, or is that just a gauge issue?

Pressure bleeding off isn't a big deal on a bus with the elevated tank, it is on cars where it can all drain back to a lower than the engine tank.

Please don't PM technical questions, ask your problem in public so everyone can play along. If you think it's too stupid post it here
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!

Слава Україні!
airschooled
Air-Schooled

PostPosted: Sun Nov 12, 2017 8:31 pm    Post subject: Re: '79 F.I. Hard Start when Cold, stumped! Reply with quote

busdaddy wrote:
asiab3 wrote:
but if it functions fine during operation………

Well yes, aside from that 10 extra psi, or is that just a gauge issue?

Pressure bleeding off isn't a big deal on a bus with the elevated tank, it is on cars where it can all drain back to a lower than the engine tank.

I think he said that was with the pump running, engine off. That would be the same as maximum throttle, low vacuum, which IIRC is around 38 psi per spec, right?

Robbie
curtp07
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 12, 2017 8:32 pm    Post subject: Re: '79 F.I. Hard Start when Cold, stumped! Reply with quote

I had the same hard start issues...

Same set of symptoms...quick falloff of pressure after shutdown.

Replaced FPR. Fixed.

Curt
Gregg in the 603
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 12, 2017 8:41 pm    Post subject: Re: '79 F.I. Hard Start when Cold, stumped! Reply with quote

Quote:
I think he said that was with the pump running, engine off

Right, engine off pump running psi. When engine on, psi hovers around 30.

So curt what you're saying is the FPR is that important? Understood, I'll grab one. But like BD said, bleed-off is not a huge issue on the bus....
SGKent, do you still have that NOS Bosch one? I've been watching it, but understand that the FPR is not very shelf-stable?
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 12, 2017 9:35 pm    Post subject: Re: '79 F.I. Hard Start when Cold, stumped! Reply with quote

yes I have it.

Here is my question. if 12V is at one connector and no volts at the other, how can that be possible unless the schematic is wrong and there is a coil or something in between. I tried to see the pin numbers in the photos but could not clearly see.

You can also measure VOLTAGE (be careful not to put it on ohms or milliamps or damage may occur) across pins 86 and 86a. The differential should always be zero if they are hooked together internally.
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 12, 2017 10:01 pm    Post subject: Re: '79 F.I. Hard Start when Cold, stumped! Reply with quote

Colin has this schematic of the starting circuits active on the double relay. He is usually accurate.

Also - if the FPR were subject to in the box failure they would be hermetically sealed - and think how soon they would fail once installed. This one is from about 5 years ago when they started to go NLA - I bought one without realizing I already had a new spare. This is the newer of the two. The other one is in the older yellow box. Both are genuine Bosch. I am only selling one but I don't care which boxed one sells. Just getting my cost out - no profit. You can call bus depot and see if the one they are shipping is Bosch or aftermarket.

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: