Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

1300 converted to 1600 makes "ratty"noise during excelleration
Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
fifthcenturycheese Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 12, 2017 5:35 pm    Post subject: 1300 converted to 1600 makes "ratty"noise during excelleration Reply with quote

I am trying a used 1300 that has been converted to a 1600 in my bug. The history on the engine is that it was taken out of a car by the German mechanic that performed the services on it. It's an F0 case with bigger cans added later, a 113 905 205K along with a brazilian solex 30/31 carb. I put a new repop Wolfsburg West muffler on but am having a hard time getting the exhaust donuts to sinch up tight enough to stop exhaust leaks. Everything concerning the exhaust system aligns properly, but still having minor leak issues. What is troubling to me is the engine or car makes a "deep ratty" kinda sound under load/ when accellerating or going up hill....the more gas I give it, that "rattier" the sound. ??? Timing was set at 7.5 advance for that particular distributor. What the hell is the sound? Thanks for taking the time to read this, Mike.

Last edited by fifthcenturycheese on Sun Nov 12, 2017 10:35 pm; edited 1 time in total
Pruneman99
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 12, 2017 5:50 pm    Post subject: Re: 1300 converted to 1600 makes "ratty"noise during excelleration Reply with quote

Might be detonation. You need to see how much total advance your getting. IDK if that carb is the right match with that distributor. You might be getting the totally wrong vac signal.

In wouldn't drive it until you make sure it's not detonation or you might be rebuilding that engine again quicker than you think.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 12, 2017 6:13 pm    Post subject: Re: 1300 converted to 1600 makes "ratty"noise during excelleration Reply with quote

I forgot to mention, it has popped/sputtered coming down hill in gear as well....
iowegian Premium Member
Samba Curmudgeon

PostPosted: Sun Nov 12, 2017 7:01 pm    Post subject: Re: 1300 converted to 1600 makes "ratty"noise during excelleration Reply with quote

I have no idea what a rat sounds like, but perhaps you are merely hearing your exhaust leaks.
h~moto
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 12, 2017 9:32 pm    Post subject: Re: 1300 converted to 1600 makes "ratty"noise during excelleration Reply with quote

What kind a air filter is on your car? An engine without an air filter or a filter less restrictive than normal would make a sound that I would describe as ratty.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 12, 2017 9:43 pm    Post subject: Re: 1300 converted to 1600 makes "ratty"noise during excelleration Reply with quote

Stock 67 air cleaner.
bluebus86
Banned

PostPosted: Sun Nov 12, 2017 10:53 pm    Post subject: Re: 1300 converted to 1600 makes "ratty"noise during excelleration Reply with quote

iowegian wrote:
I have no idea what a rat sounds like, but perhaps you are merely hearing your exhaust leaks.

YES, Please define the ratty noise?

detonation, also called pinging is like a rattling noise, like stones in a soup can being shock, usally worse under load, and not audiable when idling or engine under low load Its detonations are happening inside the cylinder head. Detonation happens when the explosion happens too soon, if you having this Detonation noise, thevrattling stones in a metal can sound which is most apparent under high load, then the use of higher octane fuel, back off timing, check mixture, check for over heating, are things to consider.

Exhuast Leaks........ have a mostly clank clack noise or rumbling and should be apparent at all motor operation condions, unlike detonation, which wont be audiable at idle or low load conditions, where as an exhast leak will be heard at idle, under load, under no load, in all conditions.

so listen for the two differences, Detonation, or Exhaust Leak.

tell us if it sounds like either.

The popping in exhaust sounds when you let off throotle might be a rich mixture applied when throotle is closed and engine is over running. That noise is NOT detenation, as Detonation happens worse under load, the opposite of what happens when you let of the throotle and unload the motor.

good luck Bug On!

Stop introducing dirt into your oil when adjusting valves ... https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=683022
Rome
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 13, 2017 8:25 am    Post subject: Re: 1300 converted to 1600 makes "ratty"noise during excelleration Reply with quote

Quote:
I am trying a used 1300 that has been converted to a 1600 in my bug. The history on the engine is that it was taken out of a car by the German mechanic that performed the services on it. It's an F0 case with bigger cans added later,

Did the German mechanic measure, write down; and provide you with the following data during the conversion work: deck height, and combustion chamber volume? If he started out with the 1300 heads which is most likely, he'd need to have the combustion chambers bored out to the larger outer diameter of the 1600's cylinders. If this work is not done to the 1300 head, the 1600's cylinder is simply too large to fit into the head. My concern is that the engine ended up with too high of a compression ratio (CR). The "ratty" sound you're hearing, and was described by bluebus as "rattling", could be caused by too high of a CR.
Zundfolge1432 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 13, 2017 10:10 am    Post subject: Re: 1300 converted to 1600 makes "ratty"noise during excelleration Reply with quote

Keep the throotle to the poodle Very Happy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 13, 2017 7:12 pm    Post subject: Re: 1300 converted to 1600 makes "ratty"noise during excelleration Reply with quote

So, I adjusted the Brosol/Solex H30/31 according to the Rob and Dave's page of carb adjusting. Did exactly as they listed and the car idles nicely at around 900 rpm. Where the heater boxes fit into the new aftermarket muffler, I was getting the exhaust leak "ticking/hissing" sounds. The new exhaust seal donuts and clamps were not pulling the gaps together so I cut some Coors light can material to fill in the gap between the donut and smaller diameter exhaust pipe...that seemed to get rid of the leaks! Simply going tighter with those clamps was not working. At this point I will ask that the beer snobs keep to themselves on the Coors Light business.....

The "ratty" sound as I call it... It is hard to describe a noise, maybe better would be a more solid rumbling when under load, going up hill and heavier acceleration when driving. The best I can do is a solid kind of gargling sound and vibration towards the back end of the car. I know I need to replace the rubber "body to chassis " pads that insulate the body from engine and road vibration. I know what detonation from fuel breaking down sounds like and this is a deeper sound than "pinging".

There is no paperwork on the 1300 to 1600 conversion work form the past so I would probably have to pull a head to see what size can is in there. I can't find the head number at the moment, but it seemed that I looked it up and they were 1600 sp heads.

Still getting the ratty noise, runs better with adjusted carb and quiet exhaust seals. Still slightly snaps when going downhill with car in gear, foot off throttle...

Still trying to diagnose ratty sound and eliminate....
67rustavenger Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 13, 2017 9:45 pm    Post subject: Re: 1300 converted to 1600 makes "ratty"noise during excelleration Reply with quote

The exhaust "doughnut" clamps are not the same size front to back. When you have a new set you have to look carefully with them layed on a flat surface. You'll notice that the front side of the clamp is smaller than the rear (front meaning the front of the car).
The smaller side is the heat-exchanger side of the clamp. Put the doughnut metal backing ring on the exchanger first then the doughnut. Slide those rearward into the flared inlet on the muffler then install the clamp smaller diameter on the exchanger and larger on the flared muffler. It should seal up well if the parts are in the correct orientation. No beer can band-aid needed

Good Luck.

There's never enough time to do it right the first time. But there's always enough time to do it thrice.
GFY's Xevin and VW_Jimbo!
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 17, 2017 11:08 pm    Post subject: Re: 1300 converted to 1600 makes "ratty"noise during excelleration Reply with quote

There's a new twist to this engine! Did a compression test on the cylinders and found: #1 at 125psi, #2 at 135psi, #3 at 85psi, #4 at 130psi.

As you can see, I have a dead cylinder. First thing I am going to do is check the torque on the head bolts. If that doesn't produce a miracle, I will then do a cylinder leak down test to find the source of the problem.

I am slowly learning about all of this and want to figure out how to correct this issue. If its just a valve or a set of rings, can just those components be changed? How do you figure out sizes and all. Or is it cheaper to just get a set of heads?

Thanks for following this post and all your help, Mike
Q-Dog
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 18, 2017 6:54 am    Post subject: Re: 1300 converted to 1600 makes "ratty"noise during excelleration Reply with quote

Some parts can be repaired or refurbished without too much expense, some are better replaced. Find the issue first, then you can deal with how to repair it.

'69 Dune Buggy
'69 Beetle Convertible
'70 Beetle
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: