Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Preferred Tools To Make Chamber Radius
Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
bugguy1967
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 12, 2017 8:06 pm    Post subject: Preferred Tools To Make Chamber Radius Reply with quote

What's a good tool/s to make a nice radius around the chamber ridge? I'm currently using an angle grinder with 1" discs to knock off the sharp edge. They look ok, but I'd like something that leaves a nicer finish.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
modok
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 12, 2017 8:25 pm    Post subject: Re: Preferred Tools To Make Chamber Radius Reply with quote

1" cylindrical Flap wheel, or sanding drum, or Cratex..... you want to impress yourself try cratex
bugguy1967
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 12, 2017 10:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Preferred Tools To Make Chamber Radius Reply with quote

I have a 1" flap wheel, but the shank is only about 1 1/2 inches. On the intake side it's hard to pivot to get a bunch of angles in. Sanding rolls are the same. I want to be able to nicely radius those areas too.

I need to Google Cratex.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
FeelthySanchez
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 12, 2017 10:46 pm    Post subject: Re: Preferred Tools To Make Chamber Radius Reply with quote

Buy or make yourself a 4" long shank extension to fit the flap wheel.
Enough clue..Whats that mean?
OldIronSpine wrote:
I'm not sure how compression works.
Turbos don't produce torque, they produce HP. Instead of torque.
The real problem with NA engines is you don't hear the nice whine of the turbo as it spools up.
Before I commit, I'm going to do more research because I don't really know what piston rings are.
Floating VW
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 13, 2017 10:15 am    Post subject: Re: Preferred Tools To Make Chamber Radius Reply with quote

You mean in the combustion chamber? It might be better to just leave the sharp edges alone. I've always understood that sharper edges help to improve the turbulence in the chamber.
UK Luke 72
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 13, 2017 10:38 am    Post subject: Re: Preferred Tools To Make Chamber Radius Reply with quote

Not the nasty edges where the valve seats have been counterbored... They want flattening IMO.
mark tucker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 13, 2017 10:43 am    Post subject: Re: Preferred Tools To Make Chamber Radius Reply with quote

there are places for sharp's and places not to have them. I would hate to see the ops heads after the disc...although sometimes looks dont matter. Shocked ...sometimes....... the preferred tools for me would be cnc mill....but my dirgrinder&carbides and abrasive rolls do just fine. I also do a lot on the mill to them. it all kinda depends on what you have and what you can do and how much$ your willing to spend to do it.sometymes the best $ s[ent is sending them off to somebodt that has the tools and knows how to not eff them up.
bugguy1967
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2017 6:58 pm    Post subject: Re: Preferred Tools To Make Chamber Radius Reply with quote

Mark' I did a pretty clean job with the sanding disc. It's 80-grit, and tiny enough to get in hard to reach places. I just remembered I have sanding rolls in my Dremel case. I could use that.
vwracerdave
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2017 8:42 pm    Post subject: Re: Preferred Tools To Make Chamber Radius Reply with quote

For a Harbor Freight item this can't be beat and do an awesome jobs for the price. https://www.harborfreight.com/sanding-cone-set-52-pc-62394.html
Featured in Dec. 2001 HOT VW's Magazine page 63

Watch my racing video's http://www.youtube.com/user/okvwracer/videos
nsracing
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2017 9:06 pm    Post subject: Re: Preferred Tools To Make Chamber Radius Reply with quote

I got an electric Harbor Freight grinder. I exchanged about 4 or so of them before I found one that was super accurate and did not vibrate. Very Happy

Now it is my main porting tool until I get my very large 100 gallon 3-Phase compressor back here in VA. I sold my smaller compressor 80 gal single-phase.

So far the grinder is plenty for me to use for all my porting and clearancing jobs.
LOWE TECH
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2017 10:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Preferred Tools To Make Chamber Radius Reply with quote

A lot of whizz bang tools out there now days. Kinda sucks that you have to buy ‘em to see if they’re worth owning. One of the most “universal” widgets in my box is a 1/4” rod w/ a slot cut into the top using a thin zizz wheel or something. Make ‘em with different lengths, use different grades of emery and use different tools for rpm needs.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: