Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Got smacked
Page: Previous  1, 2
Forum Index -> Eurovan Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
njt1rider
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 20, 2017 8:51 pm    Post subject: Re: Got smacked Reply with quote

I know its half way across the country from you but rt 43 auto parts in carrolton ohio is hording about 8 or 9 late model vans with lots of good body parts. I picked up a rear hatch and slider for myself but there are multiple complete vans. They respond promptly and will send you pictures of what you ask for. might be worth checking it. Last time I was there they did not have any blue vans but did have white, black, grey, and maroon..
markcm2
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 21, 2017 2:08 pm    Post subject: Re: Got smacked Reply with quote

Zeitgeist 13 wrote:
Thanks guys, I assume you're both referring to Ben. A buddy of mine here in Oly regularly fields calls from him about his own stash of T3 parts and experience, so I know how to get a hold of him. It's good to know that he has late model parts around. The van is supposed to be towed to my shop today, so I'll tear into it and post an update.

The family drove up to Poulsbo yesterday in our crappy rental minivan, and all four of us craned our necks wistfully as we drove past a pristine late model silver Weekender cruising up I-5. We really miss that van.

I don't think the guy I'm referring to is Ben. Sorry to be so vague but it was a Russian fellow and I forgot his name; he had about 10 eurovans for parts in Auburn. I could PM you the phone number where I texted him if you wanted it.
Zeitgeist 13
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 21, 2017 3:43 pm    Post subject: Re: Got smacked Reply with quote

Hmmm...please PM me the #. I texted Ben today and he's looking to see if he has my pieces.

I'm currently dismantling the van, but the damage appears to be more extensive than is listed in the insurance assessment. Both the front and rear bumper supports appear to have been pushed further into the body on the passenger side. I think a come-along is needed to pull out the body. The van drives nice, though.

'89 Bluestar ALH w/12mm Waldo pump, PP764 and GT2052
'01 Weekender --> full camper
y u rune klassik?
Zeitgeist 13
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 22, 2017 2:59 pm    Post subject: Re: Got smacked Reply with quote

Using my heat gun I've been able to de-deform the bumper covers to a state that can be restored, so I'm not going to replace those. I do need the bumper supports which got crushed...just like the way they were designed.

Rear: 701807303

Front: 7D0803671A

The RF fog light trim ring: 7D0941804

Here's my CL ad: https://seattle.craigslist.org/oly/wan/d/wtb-eurovan-body-parts/6398215704.html

y u rune klassik?
markcm2
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 28, 2017 1:32 pm    Post subject: Re: Got smacked Reply with quote

Zeitgeist 13 wrote:
Hmmm...please PM me the #. ...

PM sent
Joshwa
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 28, 2017 2:33 pm    Post subject: Re: Got smacked Reply with quote

Right, I was referring to the same Russian guy, whom I can't remember his name either. He also gave me a great deal on a sliding door, except that I installed it myself.
Late model cabin air filter on 93
Euro spec bumper install on 93
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Zeitgeist 13
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 28, 2017 2:50 pm    Post subject: Re: Got smacked Reply with quote

Thanks guys, I just texted him. The number resolves via the Googles to a construction company in Auburn

y u rune klassik?
markcm2
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 28, 2017 2:54 pm    Post subject: Re: Got smacked Reply with quote

Joshwa wrote:
Right, I was referring to the same Russian guy, whom I can't remember his name either. He also gave me a great deal on a sliding door, except that I installed it myself.

Did the door happen have a slight horizontal crease in it and no glass/window, white? If so... I know that door.
Joshwa
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 28, 2017 3:26 pm    Post subject: Re: Got smacked Reply with quote

It was a red slider even though he didn't have a red van around. A lucky pick for TDI #2 i'm working on. I need to head back one more time for a few odds and ends.
Late model cabin air filter on 93
Euro spec bumper install on 93
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Zeitgeist 13
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 05, 2017 5:16 pm    Post subject: Re: Got smacked Reply with quote

I ended up buying the bumper supports from the guy in Auburn, and they're now fitted to the van. My newest favorite tool is the plastic welder I bought at Harbor Freight. I've used it to weld up tears and cracks in my bumper covers and to reattach the two broken attachment ears on my RF headlight assembly. I've probably tossed out dozens of parts of the years due to broken plastic that could've been welded and saved.

I'm holding off with replacing the hatch or repainting the bumper covers until the warmer weather returns in Spring, though I did buy a paint gun and will be prepping my shop for those tasks. I'll be applying bedliner to the bottoms of the bumper covers and just primering the rear cover for the Winter months. I'm modifying the front cover for the installation of Hella 500 driving lights. I'll take pics when everything's back together. I love this van.

y u rune klassik?
Zeitgeist 13
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 07, 2017 12:04 pm    Post subject: Re: Got smacked Reply with quote

A teaser for the upcoming post-crash upgrades to lighting the front and rear of the van.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

y u rune klassik?
IdeaNerd
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 08, 2017 11:59 am    Post subject: Re: Got smacked Reply with quote

Looking forward to seeing the rest! Smile
Zeitgeist 13
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2017 5:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Got smacked Reply with quote

Here's a couple more teaser pics I took while test-fitting the lights that finally arrived.

I still need to adjust the panel gaps this coming Spring when I repaint the lower grill and bumper cover. I just wanted to get the nose back together for the Winter. I have the driving light relay installed and partially wired up, but just need to snake the ground trigger lead back into the cabin. I'm currently building the harness for the dash panel.

I found that I could get these lights into the rear fog light openings if I trimmed the fascia down with a belt sander. I think the early model EVs without the fog light cutouts could just surface mount these units in the same location. I'm still kicking around the idea of installing early model rear bumper end pieces and then welding up a steel center section that incorporates the hitch right in the middle, rather than hanging down low.

y u rune klassik?
VAEV1993
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 13, 2017 6:18 am    Post subject: Re: Got smacked Reply with quote

Looks really nice! Glad you have been able to get these things sorted and back together!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Scottn59c
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 13, 2017 8:04 am    Post subject: Re: Got smacked Reply with quote

I haven't seen anyone split the front bumper into two tone where you did before. It looks quite natural and good. The lights look nice as well! The back bumper cover looked pretty thrashed from the accident. Kudos if you're able to salvage it. Given your aptitude, you might be able to fix the hatch as well. I was able to do some body work on my EV this summer, and I'm pleased with how it came out.
Zeitgeist 13
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 13, 2017 9:20 am    Post subject: Re: Got smacked Reply with quote

Noooo...that hatch was beyond my skill level of thrashing even before the crash. The PO must've backed into some tall object 'cause they had to replace the rear window and there's damage right up against the glass perimeter. I'm not even sure how they got the window to seat properly. I'll be looking for another one between now and Spring when I paint stuff.

I was able to successfully reattach three of the broken tabs that hold the rear bumper cover onto the support with plastic welding. The trick is to heat and embed paper clips into the junction for rigidity. They appear to be as strong as before. This plastic welder is a game-changer.

y u rune klassik?
mkscott2
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 13, 2017 11:16 am    Post subject: Re: Got smacked Reply with quote

I agree- looking great! The color split was done the same way on my van, which I do like the look of. Bummer that you had to do the repair to begin with, but good excuse to do these upgrades, eh?

Now, I have questions though:
1. where did you get the bar?
2. what are the #1 and #2 positions for on the switch?

I was trying to be patient, but I have to ask...
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Zeitgeist 13
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 13, 2017 12:06 pm    Post subject: Re: Got smacked Reply with quote

I got the bar off of ebay for around $15. I added a steel plate behind the cover to help stiffen up the light mount. I think I'll probably need to add a brace between the lights and somewhere behind the grill to help steady the lights when on rough terrain.

The rotary switch, which is lighted in the white arrow just like the headlight switch, is set for #1 front driving lights and #2 aux. reverse lights. I went with a rotary* rather than separate toggles under the theory that I'd never be using both sets of lights simultaneously, so I could select either one without a conflict. The rotary is also lighted and has a smaller footprint, unlike two toggles. The driving light relay is triggered by the high beams and the aux. rear lights will be triggered by reverse gear, also via relay.

*I also have some SPDT rocker switches, but I couldn't find any affordable units that looked good and were lighted.

y u rune klassik?
Zeitgeist 13
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 23, 2017 10:11 am    Post subject: Re: Got smacked Reply with quote

I finally got the rear bumper cover "fixed" and reinstalled with the aux. lights. I had originally intended to just apply the bedliner to the bottom section like the front cover, but I couldn't get the upper section smooth enough for a proper Techno Blue respray. Plastic is a tough medium to get smoothed. This pic is just a mockup before I had fully mounted the bumper and hitch. The lights are just jumpered on to the passenger side rear charge port. They're pretty bright and slightly angled outward to illuminate a broad swathe behind when backing up in the dark. I'll install an ice cube relay just below the passenger tail light, triggered by the parking lights and a dash switch. I'm pretty pleased.

y u rune klassik?
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Eurovan All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: