Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

1993 VW Rabbit Cabriolet - instrument cluster
Forum Index -> Water-cooled VW Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
mtsipe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 13, 2017 7:00 am    Post subject: 1993 VW Rabbit Cabriolet - instrument cluster Reply with quote

Hello, I am in need of vw rabbit parts. Most of all I need an instrument cluster.

What are some similar model makes and years that would work with this vehicle, golf? gti? rabbit?
TDCTDI
Samba Advocatus Diaboli

PostPosted: Mon Nov 13, 2017 7:08 am    Post subject: Re: 1993 VW Rabbit Cabriolet - instrument cluster Reply with quote

That late of a Cabriolet is going to leave you with touch & go compatibility with '88 & up Golfs & Jettas. The clusters had several harness connection possibilities but only a couple Speedo head variations. If you can find one that works, the speedometer unit can be removed & swapped into your cluster.

What part of your cluster is not working?

GOFUNDYOURSELF, quit asking everyone to do it for you!

An air cooled VW will make you a hoarder.

Do something, anything, to your project every day, and you will eventually complete it.
mtsipe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 13, 2017 7:33 am    Post subject: Re: 1993 VW Rabbit Cabriolet - instrument cluster Reply with quote

The vehicle has no instrument cluster in it at the moment.

To make matters more interesting, it has a running 1998 2.0 jetta engine in it.

I would be willing to custom make a cluster if I had to combine the two.
Butcher
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 13, 2017 8:09 am    Post subject: Re: 1993 VW Rabbit Cabriolet - instrument cluster Reply with quote

I would stick with something from 90-93. The issue you have is that you have an air bag [at least it did when it came from the factory] and the cluster you find should have those indicator lights.

As for any USA built clusters, no, they will not work. The clusters that have 2 connectors, yeah they will fit, but a lot of bending is required along with making 2 connectors in the body harness.

If you have the original factory fuel injection, it should be fine. If you have the newer injection system, I do not know if the tach would work or not.
mtsipe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2018 10:42 am    Post subject: Re: 1993 VW Rabbit Cabriolet - instrument cluster Reply with quote

I purchased an instrument cluster from a 90-93 Cabriolet with airbag. I plugged the wiring harnesses in and speedo cable. I turned the key and no lights at all Sad

I contacted the seller. He said that he had tested the unit before shipping and had said that he has never sold a unit that the tach didn't work. He said if the dimmer switch is not working then the lights wouldn't work

I tried using the dimmer switch with no luck. I had an another headlight/dimmer switch to try but no luck either.

I have purchased new lights(3 LED) to try and replace them to see if that it would at least light up.

Anybody have any insights they would like to add about my instrument cluster issue?

Thanks
Butcher
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 24, 2018 8:47 am    Post subject: Re: 1993 VW Rabbit Cabriolet - instrument cluster Reply with quote

Throwing parts at it is a terrible idea on fixing cars. Start with a good wiring diagram and a good VOM. Buy a Bentley too.
skills@eurocarsplus
Samba Peckerhead

PostPosted: Wed Jan 24, 2018 10:10 pm    Post subject: Re: 1993 VW Rabbit Cabriolet - instrument cluster Reply with quote

Butcher wrote:
Throwing parts at it is a terrible idea on fixing cars. Start with a good wiring diagram and a good VOM. Buy a Bentley too.

especially if this has a 2.0 swap in it. it very well could need a mk3 cluster....at this point who knows what's what with this thing

my reason for switching to subaru is my german car was turning chinese so i said fuck it and went japanese.......
[email protected] wrote:
most VW enthusiasts are stuck in 80's price land.

Jake Raby wrote:
Thanks for the correction. I used to be a nice guy, then I ruined it by exposing myself to the public.

Brian wrote:
Also the fact that people are agreeing with Skills, it's a turn of events for samba history
kamzcab86
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Jan 25, 2018 5:35 pm    Post subject: Re: 1993 VW Rabbit Cabriolet - instrument cluster Reply with quote

mtsipe wrote:
I purchased an instrument cluster from a 90-93 Cabriolet with airbag. I plugged the wiring harnesses in and speedo cable. I turned the key and no lights at all Sad

If nothing in that instrument cluster is working on the electrical front (tach gets its signal from the coil, thus if the engine isn't running, ignore this one for now), pull the main connector and check for switched power at pin 14 (they are labelled). If no switched power, check the ground (pin 2). Report back on results.
http://www.cabby-info.com/Files/InstrumentClusterDiagrams.pdf

This car has a 2.0 swap; plenty have undergone this swap with no instrument cluster problems. It would appear the PO started a project he wasn't willing to finish, which is now up to you to sort out, which is going to be difficult without wiring diagrams in front of you.
2016 Golf GTI S
"Real knowledge is to know the extent of one's ignorance." - 孔子
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
etijsma
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 26, 2018 6:29 pm    Post subject: Re: 1993 VW Rabbit Cabriolet - instrument cluster Reply with quote

Take the green wire straight from the back of the cluster and cut it before it goes into fuse box. Then run that wire through the firewall and to the coil. Put a female spade connector on it and put it on the neg side of coil. I’ll look when I get home which side it is. And the cluster will work.

Edit. After seeing multiple post on this you need a Bentley for both vehicles, meter and paper to draw out everything and start drawing your new diagrams. It’s alway a pain to pickup someone else’s project. You are damn near going to have to strip it down and redo it. It will prolly be easier. I had several corrado parts cars when I did a crazy swap in a corrado and was chasing dumb things. Do t assume anything.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Water-cooled VW All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: