Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Shocks?
Forum Index -> Thing/Type 181 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Aspico
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 13, 2017 5:05 pm    Post subject: Shocks? Reply with quote

Bought this "off roaded" '73 Thing and decided to go with a complete new look (see rendering) I'm wondering if I can get it a bit lower than stock by simply replacing the shocks and tire size? It's currently raised a bit in the F&R, which I believe is from the 4 "coil over" shocks and off road tires that are installed (see pic)
I don't want to "slam it" so a new beam seams a bit extreme. Just want it an inch to an inch and half lower over all with the wheels and tires filling up the wheel wells/fenders. Is there a shock setup (KYB, Bilstein, Koni) and tire size (15" wheels) recommendation any of you Thing aficionados could suggest? Thanks in advance...
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
YDBD
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 13, 2017 9:42 pm    Post subject: Re: Shocks? Reply with quote

Yes swapping out the coil overs for standard oil shocks will most likely drop the ride height down. The KYB GR2's are gas shocks they have less push than the KYB Gas Adjusts do, but more than stock oil shocks and help with handling on the road. No idea on the exact change of ride height.

Tire size will also lower the ride height, you can go with a smaller profile tire. You didn't say what was on it, but if you have 185x15 SR, the S means the sidewall is 70% of the 185 (width) so they are about 130mm tall as the side wall. If you get the same width in a street tire 185x15 60 it would be 110 sidewall height dropping the ride height 10mm. 165x15 60 would drop around 20mm.

Hope this helps
'64 baja
'60 dune buggy
'73 Personenkraftwagen Type 182 "Thing"
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
74 Thing
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2017 8:09 am    Post subject: Re: Shocks? Reply with quote

Red Koni's ride real nice on a Thing.
Aspico
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2017 1:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Shocks? Reply with quote

Thanks YDBD! For sure going to take your advice. Are the KYB GR2's the same as the KYB Excel G? Found this while searching for GR2's - "Both products are identical, except for the product name and paint color. KYB sells products throughout the world. Some part numbers fit vehicles from various countries that share the same chassis platform but, have different nameplates"

Don't want to make a mistake, plus they seem pretty inexpensive - $17.97 at Summit Racing as opposed to $37.97 for the KYB Gas-Adjust.
YDBD
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2017 9:21 pm    Post subject: Re: Shocks? Reply with quote

That I don't know, I have the GR2s on my buggy.

I hope it works out.
'64 baja
'60 dune buggy
'73 Personenkraftwagen Type 182 "Thing"
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Rev. Scott
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 21, 2017 12:02 am    Post subject: Re: Shocks? Reply with quote

Gray KYB GR2's in front, red/white KYB's in back. good solid combo.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Thing/Type 181 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: