Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Best replacement window crank
Page: 1, 2, 3  Next
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
igotta40
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 13, 2017 8:48 pm    Post subject: Best replacement window crank Reply with quote

I see a wide variety in pricing on the subject part. Advice please and thank you.

1973 Bay Window

igotta40
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 13, 2017 9:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Best replacement window crank Reply with quote

even the originals broke once in awhile.
airschooled
Air-Schooled

PostPosted: Mon Nov 13, 2017 9:26 pm    Post subject: Re: Best replacement window crank Reply with quote

I've had these for almost four years, and they work well.

http://www.justkampers.com/113-837-581-d-window-wi...-1992.html

They need the backing shims to avoid ripping the interior panels.

http://www.justkampers.com/111-837-595-a-gasket-fo...-bays.html

These style handles broke on me every few months.

http://www.justkampers.com/321-837-581-a-heavy-dut...-1992.html

And these handles seem to last forever too.

http://www.justkampers.com/custom-window-winder-handles-pair.html

Good luck,
Robbie
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 13, 2017 9:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Best replacement window crank Reply with quote

finished the rhyme for you Robbie - Smile ...and ....

This little piggy went to the market,

this little piggy stayed home

this little piggy had roast beef,

this little piggy had none.

And this little piggy went wee wee wee all the way to buy this style handle:

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

igotta40
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 13, 2017 10:03 pm    Post subject: Re: Best replacement window crank Reply with quote

Was actually looking for input on vendor offerings from Bus Depot & Wolfsburg West

Good intel so far thanks
airschooled
Air-Schooled

PostPosted: Mon Nov 13, 2017 10:44 pm    Post subject: Re: Best replacement window crank Reply with quote

igotta40 wrote:
Was actually looking for input on vendor offerings from Bus Depot & Wolfsburg West

Good intel so far thanks

Bus Depot is the US retailer for most of JustKampers products I liked above. Chances are, WW sells the same products, since WW and BD aren't manufacturers themselves.

Robbie
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
igotta40
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 13, 2017 11:33 pm    Post subject: Re: Best replacement window crank Reply with quote

asiab3

Thanks, good to know
heimlich Premium Member
VWNOS.com

PostPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2017 1:10 am    Post subject: Re: Best replacement window crank Reply with quote

Those look like the same ones as for Beetles.
5% Off your order with coupon code: 5%OFF
Restored Distributors Available (<--Click here)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
CanStan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2017 8:56 am    Post subject: Re: Best replacement window crank Reply with quote

I bought the cheap $3 handles. I think 2 of them broke this summer. They're cheap enough that I put a couple spares in the glove box for when they inevitably break again. I should just put a pair of the $50 ones on my wish list and not have to deal with it ever again. I think it's definitely one of those 'you get what you pay for' things.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
TDCTDI
Samba Advocatus Diaboli

PostPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2017 9:14 am    Post subject: Re: Best replacement window crank Reply with quote

http://www.irwin.com/tools/locking-tools/the-original-curved-jaw-locking-pliers-with-wire-cutter

GOFUNDYOURSELF, quit asking everyone to do it for you!

An air cooled VW will make you a hoarder.

Do something, anything, to your project every day, and you will eventually complete it.
tristessa
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2017 10:17 am    Post subject: Re: Best replacement window crank Reply with quote

TDCTDI wrote:
http://www.irwin.com/tools/locking-tools/the-original-curved-jaw-locking-pliers-with-wire-cutter

Only if you hate the splines on your window regulator...
russwiththebus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2017 1:54 pm    Post subject: Re: Best replacement window crank Reply with quote

I've concluded they are all junk. Even Ratwell agrees: http://www.ratwell.com/technical/EssentialUpgrades.html#cranks

He recommends ones made by BugPack, but it seems like BugPack was sold to Empi a couple years ago.

Recently fitted some from a Mk2 Jetta and they're just about perfect. They included a spacer on the back to give it the proper distance from the door card, and even though they're all plastic, they feel much sturdier. Fits on the splines perfectly and still has a VW "look".

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Twitter Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Wasted youth
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2017 2:12 pm    Post subject: Re: Best replacement window crank Reply with quote

TDCTDI beat me to it... Laughing
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
wcfvw69 Premium Member
Samba Purist

PostPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2017 2:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Best replacement window crank Reply with quote

From experience, what can 'contribute' to any window crank handle breaking is a hard to roll up window. Examples that cause this are the window regulators are not adjusted correctly. New glass felts are not seated all the way in the door. The window regulator mechanism is not cleaned of the 40 plus years of dirt/junk and old grease and then re lubricated.

After rebuilding my drivers door mechanism and insuring I did all the above, the window was still not rolling up and down very easily. I used good replacement parts as well. I still don't think the best "new" window felts are as correct as the original VW ones. I broke a couple of window winders handles too.

I then bought a can of silicone spray. I sprayed all the felt channels. I rolled the window up so the silicone would get on the glass in the channels as well. I then let the silicone dry and set up. It made the glass slide in the felts channels 100% easier. The window goes up and down almost perfectly.

Decades of VW and VW parts restoration experience.
The Samba member since 2004.

**Now rebuilding throttle bodies for VW's and Porsche's**
**Restored German Bosch distributors for sale or I can restore yours**
**Restored German Pierburg fuel pumps for sale or I can restore yours**
**Restored Porsche fuel pumps or I can restore yours**
**Restored Porsche distributors or I can restore yours**
static
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2017 5:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Best replacement window crank Reply with quote

GoCostly has these...

...but they're $39.95 each!!!

http://www.gowesty.com/product-details.php?v=&id=24648
heimlich Premium Member
VWNOS.com

PostPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2017 5:01 pm    Post subject: Re: Best replacement window crank Reply with quote

That's ridiculous but I bet they will never break again.
5% Off your order with coupon code: 5%OFF
Restored Distributors Available (<--Click here)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Hoody
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 15, 2017 9:41 am    Post subject: Re: Best replacement window crank Reply with quote

Genuine VW Brazil are readily available but you have to do a little searching.
static
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 15, 2017 9:57 am    Post subject: Re: Best replacement window crank Reply with quote

There are also these (as seen on AliExpress). They look rugged enough, but they're not particularly attractive. I may consider the black ones.

KentABQ Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 15, 2017 12:38 pm    Post subject: Re: Best replacement window crank Reply with quote

If I were shopping for cranks, I'd spring for the GoWestys.
My philosophy is: "Do it once; do it right."

They are obviously robust in appearance, and should outlive any VW ever built. And they are made to fit the VW, not just a universal fit that may end up stripping out the splines on the door.

That's my $.02, which includes a 100% discount! Laughing

"I must say, how can you be in a bad mood driving this vehicle full of vibrant color.
Cars of today are so bland in comparison. It's like driving a celebration!"
---WildIdea

Bus ownership via emoticons:
Very Happy Shocked Mad Sad Embarassed d'oh! Pray Brick wall Pray Dancing Dancing Dancing ---williamM
airkooledchris
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 15, 2017 1:05 pm    Post subject: Re: Best replacement window crank Reply with quote

static wrote:
GoCostly has these...

...but they're $39.95 each!!!

http://www.gowesty.com/product-details.php?v=&id=24648

Be careful, every time someone around here says a well made product is too expensive certain folks will throw the entire community under the bus (see what I did there) and say it's the cheap owners who ruin everything/always/forever/harumph.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: