Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

What to carry with you in your thing
Forum Index -> Thing/Type 181 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jellybean40
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 19, 2019 10:50 pm    Post subject: What to carry with you in your thing Reply with quote

I'm a fairly new thing owner and have come to realize I have alot to learn. Could you please provide me with a list of parts and such that I should always carry with me in my thing
kenj06
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 20, 2019 4:29 am    Post subject: Re: What to carry with you in your thing Reply with quote

Here are 4 pages of what to carry:
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=183148

Me? A cell phone and AAA.
Busdriver79
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 20, 2019 9:41 am    Post subject: Re: What to carry with you in your thing Reply with quote

I don't carry as much as a screwdriver when I'm out in my Thing...No surprises in 10 years so far.
yellow73kubel
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 21, 2019 9:32 am    Post subject: Re: What to carry with you in your thing Reply with quote

A fire extinguisher is at the top of my list, mounted right in front of the shifter. This has saved my Thing once so far and was entirely worth the ~$20.

My tool and spares kit was inspired by Captain Spalding's linked above and has evolved over 10+ years of the most random problems possible. Most used would be flat head screwdrivers and small wrenches for carburetor repairs and a spare Bosch blue coil since I've had those fail twice on hot summer days.
doublecanister
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 05, 2019 9:28 am    Post subject: Re: What to carry with you in your thing Reply with quote

A tourq wrench that does the rear wheel main (the big nuts tourq - 217lbs or something don't quote me on that reading/going from memory).
Anyways, I just got one for that.
Any rear brake work would need to pull the drum for that would be a nice save.

I had that torq-master tool but wanted something a bit easier to use.

Plus I keep a check on my wheel lugs torque, had one wheel work loose on a towbar trip once, just happened to get the idea "i'd better check" good thing I did!

T
1966 - Mustang GT- Fastback
1951 - Ford F1 pickup Flathead V8
Joe 20
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 05, 2019 7:28 pm    Post subject: Re: What to carry with you in your thing Reply with quote

A cell phone...
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Thing/Type 181 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: