Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Would you walk from a Syncro that looks like this?
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  

Buy or Walk?
Buy
52%
 52%  [ 18 ]
Walk
47%
 47%  [ 16 ]
Total Votes : 34

livethevanlife
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2017 6:04 pm    Post subject: Would you walk from a Syncro that looks like this? Reply with quote

Considering taking on this rusty syncro project but trying to determine if its something I should do or walk from. Its in Florida, came from Colorado. The seller claims the engine needs the "Water Jacket" repaired and its a $1200 job. The motor looks terrible to me as does the underside, I can see what looks like the sway bar link broken in one photo. Says the transmission was rebuilt along with the engine 6 years ago. Id like to buy this and possibly turn into a off road beater, or make it nice and put a high top on it. Thoughts?
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

1991 Syncro Triple Knob Westfalia "Miki" 2.2WBX
1992 Syncro Triple Knob Tintop "Schnitzel" 1.9AAZ
1990 Syncro Rear Locker Doka Subi 2.2
1974 VW Thing 1835cc
1989 VW Carat

Last edited by livethevanlife on Tue Nov 14, 2017 7:27 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Zeitgeist 13
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2017 6:08 pm    Post subject: Re: Would you walk from a Syncro that looks like this? Reply with quote

If it has a rear locker, then it's probably below market value, at least out here on the left coast. I've seen much worse go for a lot more.

'89 Bluestar ALH w/12mm Waldo pump, PP764 and GT2052
'01 Weekender --> full camper
y u rune klassik?
joetiger Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2017 6:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Would you walk from a Syncro that looks like this? Reply with quote

It doesn't look too much worse than the one I recently bought. Just be aware that it's going to need everything. Every nut and bolt I've touched on mine snaps. But on the positive side, it's a great time to replace hardware, and better that stuff breaks in my garage and not on the road somewhere.

I think that tin-top Syncros in bad to poor shape are getting parted for 2wd to Syncro conversions when they can still be saved and enjoyed. I don't know if that's delusional thinking brought on by rust poisoning, but I'm going with it. Very Happy

'86 NAHT Vanagon GL Syncro/ supercharged ABA 2.0 "Pigpen"
'04 GTI 1.8T
'04 Golf R32

"get metaphysical with it. if it's simply a means to get to and from places, it will let you down. if it becomes your zen, it can't fail you." -dabaron

"Still, it's good to be afield."--VWagabond

Available Now! Vanagon to Louisiana--A Two-Lane Reckoning Through Past and Present

www.josephtrussell.com
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
syncrodoka
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2017 6:39 pm    Post subject: Re: Would you walk from a Syncro that looks like this? Reply with quote

Trans cases are probably rotten too.
Even if it is bought as a donor EVERYTHING will need to be gone through to take care of rot.
You are going to spend a lot of time/money/effort on this van if you are going to attempt to make it nice, even more than you think.
alaskadan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2017 6:40 pm    Post subject: Re: Would you walk from a Syncro that looks like this? Reply with quote

Buy it before someone else does.
livethevanlife
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2017 6:49 pm    Post subject: Re: Would you walk from a Syncro that looks like this? Reply with quote

Zeitgeist 13 wrote:
If it has a rear locker, then it's probably below market value, at least out here on the left coast. I've seen much worse go for a lot more.

It does have a rear locker knob, which to me means it probably does, however when I asked the owner if it has a locker, he responded with "Whats a locker?" lol. I guess hes a old guy and not a van nut like some of us.
1991 Syncro Triple Knob Westfalia "Miki" 2.2WBX
1992 Syncro Triple Knob Tintop "Schnitzel" 1.9AAZ
1990 Syncro Rear Locker Doka Subi 2.2
1974 VW Thing 1835cc
1989 VW Carat
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
shagginwagon83
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2017 6:53 pm    Post subject: Re: Would you walk from a Syncro that looks like this? Reply with quote

alaskadan wrote:
Buy it before someone else does.

i know right...gimmie that bad boy and let me rebuild it from the ground up!
syncro surf
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2017 7:40 pm    Post subject: Re: Would you walk from a Syncro that looks like this? Reply with quote

Did I miss the asking price? I don't see it anywhere.
kbeefy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2017 8:01 pm    Post subject: Re: Would you walk from a Syncro that looks like this? Reply with quote

me too. How much?

'86 Syncro Westy. Stock for now.

2000 F350 7.3 CC LB 11' Northland Cabover

2006 Subbie OBXT

2002 Tacoma DoubleCab 4x4

1969 Mustang Basket Case 351c/FMX/9

http://kbeefy.blogspot.com/
syncrodoka
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2017 8:04 pm    Post subject: Re: Would you walk from a Syncro that looks like this? Reply with quote

It said $4k earlier
joetiger Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2017 8:26 pm    Post subject: Re: Would you walk from a Syncro that looks like this? Reply with quote

Rusty Syncro Inspiration:

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=569774&highlight=shakedown++syncro

'04 GTI 1.8T
'04 Golf R32

"get metaphysical with it. if it's simply a means to get to and from places, it will let you down. if it becomes your zen, it can't fail you." -dabaron

Available Now! Vanagon to Louisiana--A Two-Lane Reckoning Through Past and Present

www.josephtrussell.com
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Sodo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2017 8:56 pm    Post subject: Re: Would you walk from a Syncro that looks like this? Reply with quote

That would sell quick in Seattle

'90 Westy EJ25, 2Peloquins, 3knobs, pressure-oiled GT mainshaft, filtered, cooled gearbox
'87 Tintop w 47k 53k, '12 SmallCar EJ25, cooled filtered gearbox
....KTMs, GasGas, SPOT mtb
alaskadan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2017 9:08 pm    Post subject: Re: Would you walk from a Syncro that looks like this? Reply with quote

s
yncrodoka wrote:
It said $4k earlier

Very Happy ha ha I saw it too. Hmmmm quick to edit he was...
photogdave
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2017 9:47 pm    Post subject: Re: Would you walk from a Syncro that looks like this? Reply with quote

If you buy it for 4K you'd be putting 12-14K into it to make it decent. I'd just buy a nicer van for 15K and save the hassle.
I would buy that POS for $1500 and take it to all the events and give it a good thrashing! Laughing

My Westy Movies:
photogdave On Vimeo
photogdave On YouTube

Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
IdahoDoug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2017 10:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Would you walk from a Syncro that looks like this? Reply with quote

Boy that's a tough call. At 4k plus getting it home you've spent too much on it to just fix a car a little and drive the wheels off it. But to get it into shape you'll be able to rely on it in conditions the Syncro aspect would benefit you (moderate offroading plus) you'll need to spend an enormous amount of money.

I agree see if you can get it for much less and have some money room to get it into a driver. At $4k it will hit $8k total just to be a rusty driver. $15k to have it in mechanical nick to stray offroad without fear of a breakdown. I'd feel better getting it for $1500 and for $5500 having a rusty driver tintop. I dunno - don't get Syncro fever.
1987 2WD Wolfsburg Vanagon Weekender "Mango", two fully locked 80 Series LandCruisers. 2017 Subaru Outback boxer. 1990 Audi 90 Quattro 20V with rear locking differential, 1990 burgundy parts Vanagon. 1984 Porsche 944, 1988 Toyota Supra 5 speed targa, 2002 BMW 325iX, 1982 Toyota Sunrader
16CVs Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2017 11:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Would you walk from a Syncro that looks like this? Reply with quote

I'd buy it if given a chance, I'd combine it with my Rusty Orly blue Westy and have a Rusty Orly blue Syncro Westy.

Stacy
Samba member # 14980
Call anytime number 650 722 4914 .
Keep Your van running and upkept tastefully for the love of the hobby.
Don't let your van end up in an "abortions" thread.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
candyman
Samba Trout Slayer

PostPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2017 11:25 pm    Post subject: Re: Would you walk from a Syncro that looks like this? Reply with quote

$4k is the tip of the iceberg as everyone has pointed out. As rusty as it is it will take a lot of work and $$ to make it decent. Even then you will still be driving it thinking to yourself how rusty it still is underneath all that expensive work. However, get it cheap, get it safe and rally it for what it is! Id roll it Wink
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 15, 2017 12:13 am    Post subject: Re: Would you walk from a Syncro that looks like this? Reply with quote

You'll be walking from it soon either way, the only question is if you own it

Very Happy
joetiger Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 15, 2017 8:29 am    Post subject: Re: Would you walk from a Syncro that looks like this? Reply with quote

A very wise Syncro sage once told me, "No matter how much you pay for them, all Syncros cost $25k." I once believed that it was a high figure; now I'm not so sure. But, I was prepared for these harsh realities going in. Over time, it's still less expensive than a monthly payment and all that goes with it.

'04 GTI 1.8T
'04 Golf R32

www.josephtrussell.com
danfromsyr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 15, 2017 8:48 am    Post subject: Re: Would you walk from a Syncro that looks like this? Reply with quote

Like land they aren't making any more..
~14,ooo Syncro units produced US/Canadian market from 1985-1991

but what everyone else is saying.. is true.. that will be a $25k syncro with no return on your time and resources vs a $25k syncro.. if you are better at giving years of your life away from family, events, friends vs $$ then go for it..

the difference between a yard with a hole in it and a yard without a hole in it is just where the dirt is and efforts taken.

EDIT: I mis remembered syncro production numbers.
US/Canadian market 2.1 (95 BHP Catalyser) 14,233

Quote:
I'm not sure on ALL vanagons
but www.Syncro.org has numbers on Syncros produced broken down by models

only 14,233 units made with the US market 2.1l engine... not very many at all..

http://www.club80-90syncro.co.uk/Syncro_website/TechnicalPages/_THE%20SYNCRO%20STORY.htm

Quote: SYNCRO Total Production – 43468 (of these 2108 were right hand drive models)

Single Cab Pick ups (M245) 1787 produced.
These vehicles were only available in the UK with 1.9 litre petrol or 1.6 litre turbo diesels.

Double Cab Pickups (M247) 6849 produced.
These vehicles proved to be very popular & were generally available with the same engines as the pickup. However a special “Tristar” model was produced fitted with a 2.1 litre petrol engine

Panel Vans (M251) 5848 Produced
These vehicles were available with all 3 engine formats

Minibuses (M253) 14650 Produced
Many different types of minibus versions were available, ranging from 8 to 12 seats. They were however only supplied with the 1.9 petrol or 1.6 diesel & turbo diesel engines & were not available as Syncro’s in the UK

Caravelles (M255) 14334 Produced
UK Supplied Caravelles were all fitted with 2.1 litre engines.

Syncro 16” (Option M855) 2138 Produced
Of the above vehicles, some were heavy duty special’s fitted with 16” Wheels. These were not generally available as export models but used by the service section within Germany. No 16” Wheeled vehicles were exported to the UK or US. Many different options were available on these vehicles. Most had different gear ratio’s, even heavier duty suspension & uprated brakes.

Tristar (M314) Unknown Number produced

This was a special package based on the crewcab launched in October 1988. It came with alloy wheels, black wheel arch spats linked by graphite coloured lower body paint, an integrated spoiler plus twin rectangular headlights with washers plus most of the other equipment offered on the GL carravelle. Rear seat passengers also had their own heater.

A similar spec vehicle called the “Magma” was produced for the German market.

Only a handful (if that!) of Tristars were sold in the UK. Where are they all now?

ENGINES – Fitted to SYNCROS -- Number produced

2.1 (95 BHP Catalyser) 14,233

2.1 (112 BHP) 6259

1.9 (78BHP) 6641

1.6 Turbo Diesel (70BHP) 16335

Last edited by danfromsyr on Thu Nov 16, 2017 9:47 am; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: