Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Would you walk from a Syncro that looks like this?
Page: Previous  1, 2
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
This page may contain links to eBay where the site receives compensation.

Buy or Walk?
Buy
52%
 52%  [ 18 ]
Walk
47%
 47%  [ 16 ]
Total Votes : 34

raoul mitgong
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 15, 2017 9:16 am    Post subject: Re: Would you walk from a Syncro that looks like this? Reply with quote

Quote:
but what everyone else is saying.. is true.. that will be a $25k syncro with no return on your time and resources vs a $25k syncro.. if you are better at giving years of your life away from family, events, friends vs $$ then go for it..

A lot of truth to that statement. But also, if I broke down in the middle of nowhere, I'd want to be the guy (or with the guy) who rebuilt a $25,000 Syncro than simply bought a $25,000 Syncro and added an awning and stereo.

-d
91 Westy (Only the top 12 inches of this van (a burn victim))
Love My Westy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 15, 2017 9:20 am    Post subject: Re: Would you walk from a Syncro that looks like this? Reply with quote

At 71 years old, I would have to vote no. I would much rather be spending my time and money out camping in my rust free, original owner 2WD '86 Weekender.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
0to60in6min
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 15, 2017 9:39 am    Post subject: Re: Would you walk from a Syncro that looks like this? Reply with quote

no price given but supposed to be $4k (before OP's edit) I'd get it if I have $20 to $25K more to invest in it.. or using the parts to convert a 2WD...

as the saying "time is money..." and since I have neither both, then it's OP's call depending on what in his pocket and how skilled is he...
raoul mitgong
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 15, 2017 9:54 am    Post subject: Re: Would you walk from a Syncro that looks like this? Reply with quote

Even with 3 vans, I probably spend a fraction of the time on them than most people spend watching professional sports. It is all about where you want to spend your time and money.
91 Westy (Only the top 12 inches of this van (a burn victim))
bobbyblack Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 15, 2017 10:21 am    Post subject: Re: Would you walk from a Syncro that looks like this? Reply with quote

I have a somewhat unique situation where I could store that pile of rust for a dozen years. You'd want to keep it dry, so it would slow the pace, but that would be the extent of what I would suggest as a strategy for this particular beast. I would not imagine being able to tackle the project myself, but that is mostly because I have too many right now. For an investment, I would guess you could do better in the stock market, too, but that wouldn't be as fun.

I've had plenty of old Volks, and they have been a pretty solid investment. Recently sold a super rusty split double cab for 100 times what I paid for it. Held onto it for 28 years tho.
r39o
Samba Polizei

PostPosted: Wed Nov 15, 2017 9:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Would you walk from a Syncro that looks like this? Reply with quote

syncrodoka wrote:
Trans cases are probably rotten too.
Even if it is bought as a donor EVERYTHING will need to be gone through to take care of rot.
You are going to spend a lot of time/money/effort on this van if you are going to attempt to make it nice, even more than you think.

EXACTLY!

We do not "DO" rusty stuff well in So Cal and you WILL fight every fastener.

So, as above, you will have to redo EVERYTHING.

There is a reason why some cost more than others......

1990 Multivan EJ 22, Rancho trans 0.82 4th, Small Car front AC, CLKs w/ 215/65-16, homemade big brakes 303mm, Konis, Recaros, etc....

Click to see my ads for Cup holders, Subaru clutch fix and CLK wheels (no wheels currently)
r39o
Samba Polizei

PostPosted: Wed Nov 15, 2017 9:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Would you walk from a Syncro that looks like this? Reply with quote

Love My Westy wrote:
At 71 years old, I would have to vote no. I would much rather be spending my time and money out camping in my rust free, original owner 2WD '86 Weekender.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

At most ages, just buy the best van you can and go from there.

Even if you spend more than you really want to, just get a good one.

I have spent decades on and off on various projects and the above is my conclusion.

I steward only two old vehicles. My van and my vintage Mercedes (1982 - 2005 resto, ugh!)

Life is too short to constantly work on stuff......

1990 Multivan EJ 22, Rancho trans 0.82 4th, Small Car front AC, CLKs w/ 215/65-16, homemade big brakes 303mm, Konis, Recaros, etc....

Click to see my ads for Cup holders, Subaru clutch fix and CLK wheels (no wheels currently)
0cean
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 16, 2017 1:05 am    Post subject: Re: Would you walk from a Syncro that looks like this? Reply with quote

If you intend on stripping the thing and sand blasting it to metal, then go for it. Otherwise no way.

Cluster Rebuild:
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=569920&highlight=

Left for Dead the Resurrection Story Build:
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=613669
(Number of Different Donor VW Vans Body Parts Used: 12)
(Number of completely different vehicles parts used: 3)
alaskadan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 16, 2017 9:26 am    Post subject: Re: Would you walk from a Syncro that looks like this? Reply with quote

People who say walk away due to all the work are right in that respect. But I think that mentality comes from remembering the days of cheap syncros being available if you want one. Which wasn't that long ago. I've only been on the syncro scene for 5 years and it has changed a lot in that time. In 5 more or ten maybe I bet people will be tripping over themselves to buy a complete syncro at that price. I'm amazed at European posts of " Look at this splitty I pulled out of the woods to restore." and the bottom 6" is missing from rust. A bay window in this condition wouldn't get as many may sayers telling you to walk. Sure it will need all new fasteners and everything rebuilt ask me how I know, mine was way worse. Besides projects like these are what I like to do. I know a number of guys who finish a project like this and the next thing you know they haul another one home. It was already stated earlier that those who have done this really know their vehicles too.
vanagonjr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 16, 2017 11:10 am    Post subject: Re: Would you walk from a Syncro that looks like this? Reply with quote

Love My Westy wrote:

I'm getting to this point, especially since I have no shop.

At the risk of being flamed, if I decide I need an off-road travel vehicle, a Toyota (or other) pickup with a 4WheelCamper, Flip-Pac, Tall cap, roof top tent on a shell or rack, etc. will fit the bill. Yes, vans make the most convenient camper, but the pickup with shell/camper is a damn close 2nd (IMHO).

Heck lately, I'm think traveling in a sports car or GT with a tent is a good option!
LiMBO is on Facebook too! https://www.facebook.com/groups/
FAQ thread: http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=525798
Christopher Schimke
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 16, 2017 11:33 am    Post subject: Re: Would you walk from a Syncro that looks like this? Reply with quote

I didn't read all of the posts here so I may be echoing someone else's opinion, but here goes - I say, it depends on your expectations.
If you intend to just buy it and drive it mostly as-is, it's probably not a wise move.
If you intend to buy it knowing that you could easily (and when I say easily, I mean REALLY easily) dump 10-15K into it just making it roadworthy and you aren't too worried about the body and such being perfect, then I say it's a good buy.
If the plan is to buy it and do nearly a full restoration, you can do most of the work yourself, and you aren't worried about breaking even or possibly losing a little, then it's probably a good candidate.
Anything outside of that and it's probably best to pass on it.
If it were me, I would buy it, fix what needs fixing, treat it to slow down the progression of rust, love it for what it is, and use it the way it was intended without too much worry for the way it looks. However, I would be prepared to dump a fair amount of money into it bringing the mechanicals up to snuff.

*Custom wheel hardware for Audi/VW, Porsche and Mercedes wheels - Urethane Suspension Bushings*
T3Technique.com or contact me at [email protected]
danfromsyr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 16, 2017 11:52 am    Post subject: Re: Would you walk from a Syncro that looks like this? Reply with quote

many of the national parks have wonderful lodges..
and saving $yncro money can go for alot of great night in a lodge Wink
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Merian
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 16, 2017 11:57 am    Post subject: Re: Would you walk from a Syncro that looks like this? Reply with quote

Lots of different camping setups for the Toy P/U's

one is no longer made but it had a pop-top tent and an elevated bed platform - guy I saw at Yos. NP had it and loved it

4x4 Toy will be more off-road capable than a Syncro also Twisted Evil
joetiger Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 16, 2017 12:08 pm    Post subject: Re: Would you walk from a Syncro that looks like this? Reply with quote

Christopher Schimke wrote:
I didn't read all of the posts here so I may be echoing someone else's opinion, but here goes - I say, it depends on your expectations.
If you intend to just buy it and drive it mostly as-is, it's probably not a wise move.
If you intend to buy it knowing that you could easily (and when I say easily, I mean REALLY easily) dump 10-15K into it just making it roadworthy and you aren't too worried about the body and such being perfect, then I say it's a good buy.
If the plan is to buy it and do nearly a full restoration, you can do most of the work yourself, and you aren't worried about breaking even or possibly losing a little, then it's probably a good candidate.
Anything outside of that and it's probably best to pass on it.
If it were me, I would buy it, fix what needs fixing, treat it to slow down the progression of rust, love it for what it is, and use it the way it was intended without too much worry for the way it looks. However, I would be prepared to dump a fair amount of money into it bringing the mechanicals up to snuff.

Thread winner right there.

'86 NAHT Vanagon GL Syncro/ supercharged ABA 2.0 "Pigpen"
'04 GTI 1.8T
'04 Golf R32

"get metaphysical with it. if it's simply a means to get to and from places, it will let you down. if it becomes your zen, it can't fail you." -dabaron

"Still, it's good to be afield."--VWagabond

Available Now! Vanagon to Louisiana--A Two-Lane Reckoning Through Past and Present

www.josephtrussell.com
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
E1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 16, 2017 1:41 pm    Post subject: Re: Would you walk from a Syncro that looks like this? Reply with quote

I would not buy it if intending to make it nice, instead buy one at the expense of someone else's parts-buying bath.

If me, I'd buy it, remove and and restore all the Syncro goods, and install them into a clean or restorable (not-so-rusty) Westy.

I'd personally kill -- or at least, maim -- to have that chance for ours.

— Colin Chapman
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
joetiger Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 20, 2017 1:18 pm    Post subject: Re: Would you walk from a Syncro that looks like this? Reply with quote

It turns out that according to Ebay, it was worth $3500:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/1987-Volkswagen-Bus-Vanag...1438.l2649

'86 NAHT Vanagon GL Syncro/ supercharged ABA 2.0 "Pigpen"
'04 GTI 1.8T
'04 Golf R32

"get metaphysical with it. if it's simply a means to get to and from places, it will let you down. if it becomes your zen, it can't fail you." -dabaron

"Still, it's good to be afield."--VWagabond

Available Now! Vanagon to Louisiana--A Two-Lane Reckoning Through Past and Present

www.josephtrussell.com
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
dobryan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 20, 2017 1:56 pm    Post subject: Re: Would you walk from a Syncro that looks like this? Reply with quote

joetiger wrote:
It turns out that according to Ebay, it was worth $3500:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/1987-Volkswagen-Bus-Vanag...1438.l2649

Only one bid. Incomplete info on the ebay listing. I call BS on the sale. Very Happy

"To travel hopefully is a better thing than to arrive." Robert Louis Stevenson

MD>Canada>AK>WA>OR>CA>AZ>UT>WY>SD
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=620646

Building a bus for travel in Europe (euroBus)
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=695371

The Western Syncro build
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=746794
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: