Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Any Vintage Camera Users On Here?
Page: 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Forum Index -> Off Topic Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
67ctbug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2017 8:44 pm    Post subject: Any Vintage Camera Users On Here? Reply with quote

Anybody on here use older film cameras? I have a Ricoh CR-5 and Sankyo Super 8. I have about 8 rolls I have to develop from this past summer Laughing I just got the Sankyo, It had a few pieces missing, but I'm hoping to bring it on my NY trip next month.
'63 Ragtop
'73 914
'73 Dodge W200
'72 Dodge Wrecker
Go Cubs!
World Series Champions 2016
KentPS wrote:
...or the PO envied the terrorists' bus in "Back to the Future". Laughing

mukluk wrote:
He's fine, just waiting for the dragon in winklepickers to move out of his lane.
photogdave
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2017 9:43 pm    Post subject: Re: Any Vintage Camera Users On Here? Reply with quote

I used to sell cameras for a living and was a pro photographer before that.
My collection ebbs and flows but at the moment I have a Leica M4, M6 and various lenses, Rolleiflex 3.5, Fuji GA645 and I guess you could call my Nikon F100 vintage now!
I've shot extensively with Canon and Nikon Super8 cameras but don't own any.

My Westy Movies:
photogdave On Vimeo
photogdave On YouTube

Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
67ctbug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 15, 2017 5:51 am    Post subject: Re: Any Vintage Camera Users On Here? Reply with quote

Oh cool man, a Leica. I'd love to get one of those some day!
'63 Ragtop
'73 914
'73 Dodge W200
'72 Dodge Wrecker
Go Cubs!
KentPS wrote:

mukluk wrote:
He's fine, just waiting for the dragon in winklepickers to move out of his lane.
raygreenwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 16, 2017 8:49 am    Post subject: Re: Any Vintage Camera Users On Here? Reply with quote

Yes....I shoot black and white all the time.

And....I am a "Pentaxian"....as you are "somewhat". Your Ricoh Cr5 uses Pentax k mount lenses. Many parts of the Ricoh cameras were made by Pentax. Also Ricoh now owns Pentax.

I shoot with a gaggle of cameras....Pentax Me-Super, super program, K-1000 (when I am feeling minimalist).

Black and white film is about as plentiful as it ever was.....costs about the same as it did in the mid 90s. Virtually all of the common developing chemicals are either still on the market or have returned to the market.

I shoot strictly digital for color. The nice thing about my Pentax film SLR systemz....is that their lenses have always been second to none.....and all of my really nice film lenses like my macro lenses.....fit and work on my digital SLR.

You should go out to a home store and buy five one gallon, plastic screw top paint containers. Then go to any local photo store or buy online and buy developer, stop bath, fixer and photo-flo chemicals. You might spend $50 max. Probably more like 35 on line.
Spend about $25 on a two reel film tank....plastic with plastic reels.

Then you can at least develope your own 35mm negatives. Zillions of really good how to's online. As for your super 8 movie film....if its B&W...same process...different tank. I have no experience with motion picture film development.....but the chemistry is the same.

Then you can either take the negatives to a local shop and have them printed.....or if you have a decent desk top scanner....you can scan your negatives....work them in PS or lightroom or similar...and print them on a desktop printer.

Your chemicals.....if you go to hobby lobby and buy a great big bag of thoze really cheap glass marbles for flower vases.....wash them in water.....and add them to your chemical containers to bring the fluid level up to keep out air.....your chemicals will last for six months or so. Ray
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
67ctbug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 16, 2017 1:14 pm    Post subject: Re: Any Vintage Camera Users On Here? Reply with quote

Yeah, I'm gonna go to B&H when I'm in the city and get a few films to shoot on my weekend adventure. One WTC, Statue of Liberty, Empire State Building, Central Park, etc. I might try developing some stuff myself, but the super 8 will be done by a professional at Pro8mm.
'63 Ragtop
'73 914
'73 Dodge W200
'72 Dodge Wrecker
Go Cubs!
KentPS wrote:

mukluk wrote:
babysnakes
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 16, 2017 5:53 pm    Post subject: Re: Any Vintage Camera Users On Here? Reply with quote

Not really a user, I inherited my dads 1969 Mamiya/Sekor 500TL. I used it back in the early '80s in a college photo class. It hasn't been used in decades. I can tell it needs some repairs. It's just sitting on a shelf right now, just like dad had it. Very Happy
Jon Schmid
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 16, 2017 10:08 pm    Post subject: Re: Any Vintage Camera Users On Here? Reply with quote

I gave the 1965 Zeiss Ikon Contaflex camera that I inherited from my dad to my son a couple years ago. It will break my heart when old school film is no longer available.
67ctbug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 17, 2017 5:51 am    Post subject: Re: Any Vintage Camera Users On Here? Reply with quote

Jon Schmid wrote:
It will break my heart when old school film is no longer available.
I don't think that's happening soon... Kodak is bringing film back.
'63 Ragtop
'73 914
'73 Dodge W200
'72 Dodge Wrecker
Go Cubs!
KentPS wrote:

mukluk wrote:
williamM
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 17, 2017 8:14 am    Post subject: Re: Any Vintage Camera Users On Here? Reply with quote

Very Happy I shot Bronica and Petri all across Auz and Asia in the 70's and caught Hassi's at their down turn and shot Grand canyon- but had to sell those kits for VW parts. Now have a Bronica S2A and cannon with drive for 35mm. Just don't have the time or energy. We do have CVA pharmacy that will develop 35 and print to CD- and the 6x6 can be developed by "darkroom.com" So its still out there- If any one wants med format enlarger and print dryer- let me know- or better yet come down for the big Quartzsite. Az event just starting now thre Feb 20.

opinion untempered by fact is ignorance.

Don't step in any!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
vwracerdave
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 17, 2017 9:11 am    Post subject: Re: Any Vintage Camera Users On Here? Reply with quote

I have an old Cannon AT-1 35mm camera with a 95-205 & 35-105 zoom lenses, auto winder and flash. I haven't shoot 35mm in 20 years. Anybody have any idea if it's worth anything.
Featured in Dec. 2001 HOT VW's Magazine page 63

Watch my racing video's http://www.youtube.com/user/okvwracer/videos
Dan Hiebert
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 17, 2017 9:23 am    Post subject: Re: Any Vintage Camera Users On Here? Reply with quote

I have an Olympus OM-1n that I bought in 1982 when I was stationed in West Germany. I cringe to say it, but I guess that's "older" now. Just about wore it out until I got a good digital camera. I only use it occasionally now for black & white photography, can't beat 35mm film for crisp B&W photos in my opinion. I have a Nikon 3300 digital SLR for day to day use.
chickengeorge
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 17, 2017 9:35 am    Post subject: Re: Any Vintage Camera Users On Here? Reply with quote

I follow Jason Lee on Instagram and he's constantly purchasing up old film and taking photos of small towns in a kind of time-stands-still fashion. He finds old hotels that still have cigarette machines and ancient furniture and he photographs them like it's 40 years ago. Pretty cool stuff.

https://www.instagram.com/jasonlee/
photogdave
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 17, 2017 9:46 am    Post subject: Re: Any Vintage Camera Users On Here? Reply with quote

67ctbug wrote:
Jon Schmid wrote:

It never went away!
I currently shoot with Kodak Ektar 100 for colour and Kodak TMax 100/400 and Ilford HP5 for B&W.
There are lots of great films from eastern Europe out now too, many of them replicating old formulas from Agfa and others.
I heard there is some new Super8 stock out as well!

My Westy Movies:
photogdave On Vimeo
photogdave On YouTube

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
photogdave
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 17, 2017 9:50 am    Post subject: Re: Any Vintage Camera Users On Here? Reply with quote

vwracerdave wrote:
I have an old Cannon AT-1 35mm camera with a 95-205 & 35-105 zoom lenses, auto winder and flash. I haven't shoot 35mm in 20 years. Anybody have any idea if it's worth anything.

The body with winder and flash is probably worth $50-$125 depending on the condition. If the lenses are Canon they are worth about $35-$40 each or more if they have a fast, constant aperture (like at least 3.5 or 2.8 through the zoom range). If they are off-brand then maybe 10 bucks.

My Westy Movies:
photogdave On Vimeo
photogdave On YouTube

Jon Schmid
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 17, 2017 10:36 am    Post subject: Re: Any Vintage Camera Users On Here? Reply with quote

photogdave wrote:
67ctbug wrote:
Jon Schmid wrote:

It never went away!
I currently shoot with Kodak Ektar 100 for colour and Kodak TMax 100/400 and Ilford HP5 for B&W.
There are lots of great films from eastern Europe out now too, many of them replicating old formulas from Agfa and others.
I heard there is some new Super8 stock out as well!

That's great news. I thought Kodak as a company was going down the tubes. Glad to hear film is still around. Smile
KTPhil Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 17, 2017 11:20 am    Post subject: Re: Any Vintage Camera Users On Here? Reply with quote

I used to run a darkroom in a friend's garage for years, starting in junior high school in the early '70s. I took a long time to go digital, finally bit the bullet about 7-8 years ago. I still have my tanks, enlarger, dryer, etc. It's been about 15 years since I developed my last roll and made wet prints.

I miss the look of crisp B&W enlargements. I bought my photo printer specifically because it had 3 grays so I could mimic the great tonal gradations when I blow up prints. I have lots of old negatives to scan... some day/year when I get the chance.

With kids, a color point and shoot became my carry-around camera. I printed a few slides back in the day, but it just takes too much time and care to do that well.

I miss the chemical darkroom, but these days I just don't have the time. Digital makes dodging/burning in/zone exposure control an after-the-fact operation, with easy trial and error. It's really a better way to good images. But you need a professional-grade digital camera to get what an amateur grade film camera used to do. My D-series Nikon DSLR isn't quite up to the task, but it's pretty close.

One fun suggestion is to use some of the available Photoshop filters to mimic old B&W film grain and tonality. I was surprised how well it mimics the old Tri-X grain and tone!
67ctbug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 17, 2017 1:29 pm    Post subject: Re: Any Vintage Camera Users On Here? Reply with quote

KTPhil, that's awesome! I would love to have a darkroom to develop in. Developing my own film is a bucket list item.
'63 Ragtop
'73 914
'73 Dodge W200
'72 Dodge Wrecker
Go Cubs!
KentPS wrote:

mukluk wrote:
Cusser
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 17, 2017 2:04 pm    Post subject: Re: Any Vintage Camera Users On Here? Reply with quote

I have an old Fujica AZ-1 SLR with regular and telephoto lenses that I haven't used in a decade, I'd like to sell it.
1970 VW (owned since 1972) and 1971 VW Convertible (owned since 1976), second owner of each. The '71 now has the 1835 engine, swapped from the '70. Second owner of each. 1988 Mazda B2200 truck, 1998 Frontier, 2014 Yukon, 2004 Frontier King Cab. All manual transmission except for the Yukon. http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335294 http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335297
photogdave
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 18, 2017 1:19 pm    Post subject: Re: Any Vintage Camera Users On Here? Reply with quote

Let's put some photos of VWs shot on film in this thread.
I'll start:

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Syncro at MogFest. Leica M6, 28mm Elmarit, Kodak TMax 400

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

The Tiger Van in the Okanagan. Nikon F100, 20mm Nikkor, Kodak Ektachrome 100

My Westy Movies:
photogdave On Vimeo
photogdave On YouTube

67ctbug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 18, 2017 3:34 pm    Post subject: Re: Any Vintage Camera Users On Here? Reply with quote

I like the idea photogdave! I love that first synchro shot!
'63 Ragtop
'73 914
'73 Dodge W200
'72 Dodge Wrecker
Go Cubs!
KentPS wrote:

mukluk wrote:
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to: