Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Any Vintage Camera Users On Here?
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Forum Index -> Off Topic Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
raygreenwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2018 4:46 pm    Post subject: Re: Any Vintage Camera Users On Here? Reply with quote

ZENVWDRIVER wrote:
I collect pin-hole camera glass negatives... that's a black box with a tiny pin-hole in it, to allow a certain amount of light in (exposure) - onto a glass negative... most date before 1910.

... have retired my Canon AE-1 Programme with a variety of interchangeable lenses, from the 70s, in favor of a Canon Cyber-shot digital... better in many ways - sucks in many ways.

Used to travel a lot - cross country trips in a VW bus was common, sometimes for many months to a year... would come home with many hundreds of color slides, set up a screen and put on a slide show - many friends did the same, back in the 80s.

Ic you do not already know....over the past 6-7 years there has been a huge resurgence in pinhole cameras. This includes numerous companies making cool stylish ones witj various features for $40 or less.

Here is one made by Ilford. A little pricey considering you can make one.....but cool!

https://mpex.com/ilford-obscura-pinhole-camera.htm...J-EALw_wcB

On a new note I just picked up a functional Zeiss Ikon Contessa 35mm range finder last week for about $25. Absolute jewel and built like a tank.
It was made between 1950 and 1954. Ray
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
photogdave
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2018 6:52 pm    Post subject: Re: Any Vintage Camera Users On Here? Reply with quote

I have a Leica M mount pinhole adapter. Basically a body cap with a tiny hole in it.
Played around with it a while back...I'll have to give it another go!

My Westy Movies:
photogdave On Vimeo
photogdave On YouTube

Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
ZENVWDRIVER
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2018 2:14 am    Post subject: Re: Any Vintage Camera Users On Here? Reply with quote

raygreenwood wrote:
ZENVWDRIVER wrote:
I collect pin-hole camera glass negatives... that's a black box with a tiny pin-hole in it, to allow a certain amount of light in (exposure) - onto a glass negative... most date before 1910.

... have retired my Canon AE-1 Programme with a variety of interchangeable lenses, from the 70s, in favor of a Canon Cyber-shot digital... better in many ways - sucks in many ways.

Used to travel a lot - cross country trips in a VW bus was common, sometimes for many months to a year... would come home with many hundreds of color slides, set up a screen and put on a slide show - many friends did the same, back in the 80s.

Ic you do not already know....over the past 6-7 years there has been a huge resurgence in pinhole cameras. This includes numerous companies making cool stylish ones witj various features for $40 or less.

Here is one made by Ilford. A little pricey considering you can make one.....but cool!

https://mpex.com/ilford-obscura-pinhole-camera.htm...J-EALw_wcB

On a new note I just picked up a functional Zeiss Ikon Contessa 35mm range finder last week for about $25. Absolute jewel and built like a tank.
It was made between 1950 and 1954. Ray

... used to belong to an old 35mm photo club, back in the70s... those were the days - and pin hole technology was really fading out, but used a little - was on everyone's mind still.... Thanks for the current resurgence info. Was not aware.
Not a thoroughly modern man - don't take pictures with my cell phone as I have no cell phone... I still use a Rand McNally map too - no GPS either
11/4/52, black Zwitter - SOLD to my little bro.
1954 Porsche, pre A, with VW 36 horse- SOLD
1/54, black 11C Beetle - TRADED
2/55 Iceland green Beetle, on a 1965 pan
3/55 113 Beetle, stratos silver
1955 Messerschmitt KR175 - SOLD, sadly
1960 single cab
1962 SO33, with SO 42 interior
9/63 Pacific blue, Ghia
'87 Toyota MR2
'02 WestFORDia E-150, GAVE TO OUR SON

All super-heroes, wear a MASK
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
79SuperVert
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2018 7:54 am    Post subject: Re: Any Vintage Camera Users On Here? Reply with quote

I have a pinhole adapter for my Olympus OM-4. It was fantastic for taking pics on my N scale model railroad, because the depth of field was infinite and so the pictures looked as realistic as the models would permit. There was none of the tiny depth of field characteristic of photos of small models.

Wanted: Art Collins VW (Savannah, Georgia) items - license plate surrounds and other items. Also ivory "AM", "FM" and "SW" buttons for a US Blaupunkt Frankfurt.
KTPhil Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2018 8:11 am    Post subject: Re: Any Vintage Camera Users On Here? Reply with quote

A great intro to photography used to be a combination of a homemade cardboard pinhole camera, and using special photographic paper as "film." This paper turns a sepia tone when exposed to sunlight, no chemicals needed! Great for kids.

This paper was used dry. It was not very sensitive, so long exposures were needed. For kicks, I also used it to make proof sheets in the sun, again the advantage being no chemicals. I didn't have to set up the wet darkroom just to scan the negatives.

I can't find that paper online... just articles about making cyanotypes, but that process uses chemicals. Anyone got a link to the old stuff?
67ctbug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2018 12:48 pm    Post subject: Re: Any Vintage Camera Users On Here? Reply with quote

I've never used a pinhole camera and still haven't developed my film. It's so expensive for the amount I have, $15x15 is way too much for me at the moment so I have to pick and choose. I think I saw Ilford had paper for the pinhole cameras KTPhil.
'63 Ragtop
'73 914
'73 Dodge W200
'72 Dodge Wrecker
Go Cubs!
World Series Champions 2016
KentPS wrote:
...or the PO envied the terrorists' bus in "Back to the Future". Laughing

mukluk wrote:
He's fine, just waiting for the dragon in winklepickers to move out of his lane.
KTPhil Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2018 1:18 pm    Post subject: Re: Any Vintage Camera Users On Here? Reply with quote

67ctbug wrote:
I've never used a pinhole camera and still haven't developed my film. It's so expensive for the amount I have, $15x15 is way too much for me at the moment so I have to pick and choose. I think I saw Ilford had paper for the pinhole cameras KTPhil.

Thanks, but all I can find online is cyanotype paper (blue sun print), and it gets wetted. I used to use a sepia-toned paper, all dry. But then it was the '70s, and maybe I'm misremembering. Wink
ZENVWDRIVER
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2018 1:44 pm    Post subject: Re: Any Vintage Camera Users On Here? Reply with quote

... nice thing 'bout early pinholes was that the glass negatives were fairly large and contact prints were the result... generally, no enlarging necessary. Those early photographers knew their stuff... written on most glass negatives were the amount of exposed time and light conditions.no light meters or anything, just logic and experience.

... have this circa 1900 pinhole, hanging right here.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

1960 single cab
9/63 Pacific blue, Ghia
'87 Toyota MR2

raygreenwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2018 2:05 pm    Post subject: Re: Any Vintage Camera Users On Here? Reply with quote

ZENVWDRIVER wrote:
... nice thing 'bout early pinholes was that the glass negatives were fairly large and contact prints were the result... generally, no enlarging necessary.

And it can STILL be that way! One cool thing about that Ilford pinhole camera...that makes its $99 not such a bad deal...is that it comes not only with packs of 3 different enlarger papers...one of which is Harman direct positive paper...which requires no negative and no enlarger....and it comes with a three shelf light safe for teh paper...and a simple exposure calculator, has a tripod mount socket and a magnetic shutter lock.

Pretty cool pinhole camera...plus the pinhole is really accurate being photo-chemically etched.

https://www.ilfordphoto.com/harman-direct-positive-paper-sheets?___store=ilford_brochure

The Harman paper is pretty cool. You just cut strips of it in the dark and mount them in your pinhole camera in place of film. Its really a continuous tone variant of the type of paper used in some stat cameras back in the day.

All you need is your dark space with your trays. It uses the same chemistry as normal B&W photo papers (Developer, stop bath, fixer, hypo-clear and or wash). I "think" it must be handled in total darkness until you are through tehe stop bath just like film though. Ray
ZENVWDRIVER
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 10, 2018 6:01 pm    Post subject: Re: Any Vintage Camera Users On Here? Reply with quote

I think you can use a red light bulb, just to see a little.
1960 single cab
9/63 Pacific blue, Ghia
'87 Toyota MR2

Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2018 12:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Any Vintage Camera Users On Here? Reply with quote

I started with a Minolta SRT100? in the late 60s, then graduated to Nikon stuff and eventually ended up with the Courier Express in NY.

I still shoot 10-12 rolls film per year. My youngest just took it up. She is much better than the old grump.

Ive got about 50k in old Nikkor lenses from 8mm-2000mm - most still work with my DSLRs, Praise be to God.
raygreenwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2018 9:04 pm    Post subject: Re: Any Vintage Camera Users On Here? Reply with quote

ZENVWDRIVER wrote:

Actually for the Harmon paper you are right!. It works just like a photo paper so red safe lights,are ok....because its a positive paper.

With negatives of any type...it must be under total darknesa. If they were not sensitive to red light....anything you photographed that was red would not image in black and white.

Ray
Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2018 1:58 am    Post subject: Re: Any Vintage Camera Users On Here? Reply with quote

raygreenwood wrote:
ZENVWDRIVER wrote:

Actually for the Harmon paper you are right!. It works just like a photo paper so red safe lights,are ok....because its a positive paper.

With negatives of any type...it must be under total darknesa. If they were not sensitive to red light....anything you photographed that was red would not image in black and white.

Ray

I always wondered how Joe made those people disappear.
79SuperVert
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2018 8:25 pm    Post subject: Re: Any Vintage Camera Users On Here? Reply with quote

I hope this is permitted by the moderator: I want to call attention to a camera repair place that brought my old, beloved Olympus OM-4 back to life: LeZot's Complete Camera Center (not to be confused with the "LeZot Camera Shop" or lezotcameras.com which is not the same entity).

The LeZot Complete Camera Center performed a "CLA" (cleaning, lubrication, adjustment) on my camera which was suffering from sticky shutter. I communicated with them before sending them the camera and they were very responsive and patient with my questions. My OM-4 now performs as well as when I bought it new many years ago. Here is their website:

http://lezot.com/film-repairs/

Wanted: Art Collins VW (Savannah, Georgia) items - license plate surrounds and other items. Also ivory "AM", "FM" and "SW" buttons for a US Blaupunkt Frankfurt.
67ctbug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2018 2:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Any Vintage Camera Users On Here? Reply with quote

79SuperVert, I might need to check them out. I bought a Minolta that has a sticky shutter. I sent two rolls out last week and they are currently being processed. Hoping they upload the scans today or tomorrow. One roll was NYC and the other I have no idea Laughing
'63 Ragtop
'73 914
'73 Dodge W200
'72 Dodge Wrecker
Go Cubs!
KentPS wrote:

mukluk wrote:
He's fine, just waiting for the dragon in winklepickers to move out of his lane.
79SuperVert
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2018 4:18 pm    Post subject: Re: Any Vintage Camera Users On Here? Reply with quote

The place I send my film to for developing recommended them.

67ctbug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2018 4:49 pm    Post subject: Re: Any Vintage Camera Users On Here? Reply with quote

79SuperVert wrote:
Where do you send your film to? My 35mm is currently at The Darkroom in California, but I sent my Super 8 to Dwaynes Photo in Kansas.
'63 Ragtop
'73 914
'73 Dodge W200
'72 Dodge Wrecker
Go Cubs!
KentPS wrote:

mukluk wrote:
67ctbug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2018 9:15 pm    Post subject: Re: Any Vintage Camera Users On Here? Reply with quote

Well they got uploaded, here are some of them. These are the first two rolls I've gotten developed.

Last two or three are from when I went to SC for the eclipse. The NYC ones are from a trip in December 2017.
'63 Ragtop
'73 914
'73 Dodge W200
'72 Dodge Wrecker
Go Cubs!
KentPS wrote:

mukluk wrote:
EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2018 10:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Any Vintage Camera Users On Here? Reply with quote

Moderator note:
Just a reminder to use imgur.com or another free image source if people are going to start posting lots of non-VW pics
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
79SuperVert
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2018 8:27 am    Post subject: Re: Any Vintage Camera Users On Here? Reply with quote

67ctbug wrote:
79SuperVert wrote:
Where do you send your film to? My 35mm is currently at The Darkroom in California, but I sent my Super 8 to Dwaynes Photo in Kansas.

I send mine to the Darkroom.

My sticky shutter problem showed up in about half of the photos I took. Since I hadn't used my camera in about 15 years, it seemed reasonable to have it serviced even if I didn't have any obvious problems. Anything made with foam or rubber like the light seals can deteriorate with age, electrical contacts can become oxidized, and dust can find its way in.

The one thing Lezot said they could not service was the OM-4's electronic components, because they did not have a source of replacement parts. Fortunately it seems that all the electronics are working correctly.

The other thing I understand can be a problem is fungus and hazing inside the lens. I also seem to have dodged that bullet.

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4

Jump to: