Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

May 68 Golden Orange Original Meyers Manx
Page: Previous  1, 2
Forum Index -> Kit Car/Fiberglass Buggy/356 Replica Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
oprn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2018 8:36 pm    Post subject: Re: May 68 Golden Orange Original Meyers Manx Reply with quote

Is that rim not just reversed to get that bell look? I'm thinking any 8" rim put on backwards would have that shape, No?

Back when I was a pup and before Mag wheels were common every young guy on the block had a set on the back of his Chevy II/Comet/Valiant. They were called chrome reverse rims.

Or is this different?
squareweave
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2018 10:15 pm    Post subject: Re: May 68 Golden Orange Original Meyers Manx Reply with quote

oprn wrote:
Is that rim not just reversed to get that bell look? I'm thinking any 8" rim put on backwards would have that shape, No?

Back when I was a pup and before Mag wheels were common every young guy on the block had a set on the back of his Chevy II/Comet/Valiant. They were called chrome reverse rims.

Or is this different?

I've looked on eBay etc to try and find chrome reverse wheels with that shape on the face, but nothing. I have found a couple of sets of wheels where the backsides have that shape but nothing in a 15x8. Any leads would be appreciated
oprn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2018 4:45 am    Post subject: Re: May 68 Golden Orange Original Meyers Manx Reply with quote

Ya that was back in the mid to late '60's.

When we were building our sand rail about 10 years ago I wanted to put 14" quad tires on the rear because they are readily available anywhere now and to keep the gearing down for a stock 1600 SP. I went to the only auto wreakers out here and asked for some old 14" x 8" or 10"s. He told me that some guy had come through a few years back and cleaned out all his old wide steel rims.

He told me I was welcome to look around and I did find one GM and one Dodge rim in 14" x 8" in that 2 acres of old car hulks. I took them home and welded wide 5 VW centers into them. Due to the shape of the rims being slightly different I ended up with a 1/2" off set difference side to side.

I did notice that bell shape you are talking about on the insde of the rim and considered which way to use them. I opted for the standerd way in the end to try and keep the car narrower for trail riding.

Now that I think of it the rims that were on the rail when I got it were 15" chromies but I am not sure of the width. Chevy bolt pattern with adaptors as I recall. Rusty too but not as bad as yours for sure.

I could check them out but the shipping to you would be high and you would have to put centers in them and get them re-chromed.

Actually I just looked and you are in BC, depending on where we will be making a trip to Vernon/Kamloops sometime this summer.
mcdoc2000
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2018 7:02 am    Post subject: Re: May 68 Golden Orange Original Meyers Manx Reply with quote

Hi Rich, I’ve seen some painted versions of the wheels you’re looking for, I’ll see what I can find for you. I can’t wait to see your Manx on the road!

Matt
squareweave
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2018 5:46 pm    Post subject: Re: May 68 Golden Orange Original Meyers Manx Reply with quote

mcdoc2000 wrote:
Hi Rich, I’ve seen some painted versions of the wheels you’re looking for, I’ll see what I can find for you. I can’t wait to see your Manx on the road!

Matt

Thanks Matt,

Any leads would be good.

Here is a picture online of a buggy with chrome rear wheels like I'm after:
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
Wetstuff
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2018 9:36 am    Post subject: Re: May 68 Golden Orange Original Meyers Manx Reply with quote

SQ, I am seeing, but also not seeing, I guess? You mean the ones you have are simply cylindrical, or tube shape, and these more contoured?

Jim
Manx #2614
squareweave
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2018 10:30 am    Post subject: Re: May 68 Golden Orange Original Meyers Manx Reply with quote

Wetstuff wrote:
SQ, I am seeing, but also not seeing, I guess? You mean the ones you have are simply cylindrical, or tube shape, and these more contoured?

Jim

Hi Jim,

The wheels I'm after ar a 15x8 and have a bevelled section from where the center of the hoop moves out towards the outer lip. You can see it in the picture above with no tire mounted.
squareweave
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2018 8:02 am    Post subject: Re: May 68 Golden Orange Original Meyers Manx Reply with quote

I've been searching for these for about a year, even had a wanted add out for them and this weekend a friend had good eyes and spotted them at a VW swap meet. Original Meyers Manx Select-A-Traction steering brakes. I'm very happy to have them!! Laughing I also found a set of NOS grips online for them as well.

Original add:

Buggy Brian
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2018 3:30 pm    Post subject: Re: May 68 Golden Orange Original Meyers Manx Reply with quote

squareweave wrote:
I've been searching for these for about a year, even had a wanted add out for them and this weekend a friend had good eyes and spotted them at a VW swap meet. Original Meyers Manx Select-A-Traction steering brakes. I'm very happy to have them!! Laughing I also found a set of NOS grips online for them as well.

Original add:

Super nice score! I know a few people looking for a set.
-(Scarlett) Manx Resorter #12 (R0012B931S) on 1969 chassis.
-Original Home built buggy that started all. I learned to drive in it back in 1985.
Manx Club Member # 4436

Check out my Loretta here: http://www.manxclub.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=65&t=3365Manx

Scarlett is getting a Makeover! http://manxclub.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=82&t=3745&p=24983#p24983
62kellison
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2018 5:27 am    Post subject: Re: May 68 Golden Orange Original Meyers Manx Reply with quote

keep going back to this,awesome buggy!!...
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
GeoffP
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2018 9:18 pm    Post subject: Re: May 68 Golden Orange Original Meyers Manx Reply with quote

Agreed, The wheel Squareweave is looking for is nothing like an orig VW rim other than the center. All the guys widening wheels today make nice stuff just not correct in my eyes. (for a true old school buggy)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
62kellison
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2018 1:18 pm    Post subject: Re: May 68 Golden Orange Original Meyers Manx Reply with quote

squareweave I found this,dont know if they r the rims u want maybe u can call the guy and get better pics.i found this while I been searching for an original Meyers manx.its a dune buggy being sold or up for trade on craigslist in Albany NY.
62kellison
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2018 1:19 pm    Post subject: Re: May 68 Golden Orange Original Meyers Manx Reply with quote

https://albany.craigslist.org/cto/d/vw-dune-buggy-for-sale-or/6654349132.html
62kellison
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2018 1:21 pm    Post subject: Re: May 68 Golden Orange Original Meyers Manx Reply with quote

obviously its hard to see the rear rim but when I seen it I remembered ure post.hope this helps.and that should be the link.he been selling/ trading it for awhile. no takers.
parmaynu
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2018 5:44 am    Post subject: Re: May 68 Golden Orange Original Meyers Manx Reply with quote

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=2182042
mcdoc2000
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2018 5:41 pm    Post subject: Re: May 68 Golden Orange Original Meyers Manx Reply with quote

Rich, I can’t find your phone number. Do a Craigslist search in Sacramento for vw trike, looks like the back wheels might be what you’re looking for.

Matt
mcdoc2000
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 06, 2020 10:21 am    Post subject: Re: May 68 Golden Orange Original Meyers Manx Reply with quote

Hi Rich, any updates on the buggy?
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Kit Car/Fiberglass Buggy/356 Replica All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: