Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Are crated Zetec engines available anywhere?
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
jocoman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 15, 2017 1:55 pm    Post subject: Are crated Zetec engines available anywhere? Reply with quote

Hi
Thinking of doing a Bostig conversion and was costing out a new engine. Unfortunately I don't see anywhere where I can get a crated engine, just something from the wreckers.
I live in Canada (Ottawa) and there does not seem to be much choice for low mileage Zetec (2000-2004) engines.
If anyone has hints on how to locate a new or nearly new zetec that would be great. Maybe someone has one for sale that could be shipped if that is not too expensive.
Thanks
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Bassyaks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 15, 2017 2:25 pm    Post subject: Re: Are crated zetec engines available anywhere? Reply with quote

http://www.focusfanatics.com/ look here, this is where I found mine

http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/zetec-performance-2000-2004/

Talk to Chris at CFM
jimf909 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 15, 2017 8:10 pm    Post subject: Re: Are crated zetec engines available anywhere? Reply with quote

A crate Zetec was posted on the Bostig Facebook page a month or two ago. Starting ask was $2,500. Many expressed interest. I don’t know the outcome.

Edit: it looks like it sold the same day it was posted, most likely to someone who responded nearly immediately, i.e. crate Zetecs seem to have become rare.

Abscate wrote:
Do not get killed, do not kill others.

Current: 1990 Westy Camper - Bostig RG4, 2wd, manual trans w/Peloquin, NAHT high-top, 280 ah LFP battery, 160 watts solar, Flash Silver, seam rust, bondo, etc., etc.

Past: 1985 Westy Camper - 1.9 wbx, 2wd, manual trans, Merian Brown, (sold after 17 years to Northwesty who converted it to a Syncro).
jocoman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 16, 2017 7:41 am    Post subject: Re: Are crated zetec engines available anywhere? Reply with quote

Well if they sell for 2500 then I can stop looking as that is totally out of the question. Thanks. Back to the salvage yards
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
danfromsyr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 16, 2017 8:15 am    Post subject: Re: Are crated zetec engines available anywhere? Reply with quote

how much do you think a NEW Crated motor should be worth..
and don't go quoting the prices of the auto industry collapse ~10yrs ago as prime pricing examples..
somebody has been storing that motor for 13+yrs
champagne dreams on a miller budget.

all of our conversions are going to get real old real soon as the engine donor car years slip further backwards and miles upwards as time marches on..
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
vanagonjr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 16, 2017 11:01 am    Post subject: Re: Are crated zetec engines available anywhere? Reply with quote

danfromsyr wrote:
how much do you think a NEW Crated motor should be worth..
and don't go quoting the prices of the auto industry collapse ~10yrs ago as prime pricing examples..
somebody has been storing that motor for 13+yrs
champagne dreams on a miller budget.

all of our conversions are going to get real old real soon as the engine donor car years slip further backwards and miles upwards as time marches on..

Well said. Heck $2,500 would be a deal for a new transmission, let alone an engine. But if that blows the budget, I can understand, a used is then the only way to go. May be a wosre value overall, but you can't buy what you cannot afford. Note that it wouldn't be unusual to drop $300-$500 on seals, gaskets, timing belt, water pump, injectors, etc. on a used engine.
LiMBO is on Facebook too! https://www.facebook.com/groups/
FAQ thread: http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=525798
yiucycle
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 16, 2017 11:27 am    Post subject: Re: Are crated Zetec engines available anywhere? Reply with quote

$2500 is a deal on a factory crate engine. I just bought a ATK/LKQ re-manufactured engine(GM v6) for $1250 which is at least $500 cheaper than most re-manufactured engine out there. And i put in another $300 on seal and random stuff on top of it.
But here is the lesson I learn, you get what you pay for. After putting the engine in the vanagon, test pressure coolant system and found the head gasket was leaking from the outside and inside. Call the company up and they are only warrantying the head gasket itself and i have to do all the work to put it back in.
Long story short, if you do go with rebuild engine, go with a well known engine rebuilder like Jasper.

Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Bassyaks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 16, 2017 2:58 pm    Post subject: Re: Are crated Zetec engines available anywhere? Reply with quote

I paid $1700 shipped from SC to CT. the problem is there aren't any out there , keep looking I found mine after 2 years of looking. Good luck
jocoman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 18, 2017 1:04 pm    Post subject: Re: Are crated Zetec engines available anywhere? Reply with quote

OK. My mistake. I didn't realize what crated engines cost. I guess it doesn't matter much as there does not seem to be any available any more. Thanks for enlightening me.
MsTaboo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 18, 2017 2:34 pm    Post subject: Re: Are crated Zetec engines available anywhere? Reply with quote

I did a quick search on Car-Part.com and found many good engines in Eastern Canada for about $400-$800, many with very low kilometers.

The information age has morphed into the age of disinformation and willful ignorance. Agnotology!
Help the fight against Truth Decay.
Defend democracy, support Ukraine.
jocoman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 21, 2017 2:29 pm    Post subject: Re: Are crated Zetec engines available anywhere? Reply with quote

I have gone and looked at three so far. No dice. many missing parts or spark plug holes full of corrosion. Thanks for checking. Going out to look at another Thursday. good thing is that it should slip right into the back of my volvo wagon to take home. Very Happy
67r69s
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 22, 2017 5:28 am    Post subject: Re: Are crated Zetec engines available anywhere? Reply with quote

I don't know if you want to import one from the UK, but these guys seem to have them.

http://www.retro-ford.co.uk/shop/node/211
mikemtnbike
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 22, 2017 5:50 am    Post subject: Re: Are crated Zetec engines available anywhere? Reply with quote

67r69s wrote:
I don't know if you want to import one from the UK, but these guys seem to have them.

http://www.retro-ford.co.uk/shop/node/211

Only available if purchasing their ~2500 US dollar install kit...for non-vanagons....
JudoJeff
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 22, 2017 6:13 am    Post subject: Re: Are crated Zetec engines available anywhere? Reply with quote

You can’t judge a book by its cover....

I’m doing one right now that arrived very dirty and rusty. Sold as having 10k, has 40k on the cam cover. Insides are immaculate! Cams look pristine.

Missing/broken parts mean nothing, cheap to replace. Crank end play, cams most important. Zetec designed to go 200,000 miles, look for a 30-50k engine.

Remember, even if the engine dies you can replace it cheaply. You transfer over the expensive stuff, and you’re back on the road!
1986 Vanagon GL Westfalia Camper, Bostig Sold May 10, 2021
1999 Ford GTRV Westfalia camper (30% bigger Westy layout)
thatguydave
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2019 8:52 am    Post subject: Re: Are crated Zetec engines available anywhere? Reply with quote

Hi All -

I am considering a Bostig.. and don't want to buy a used motor.

Has there been any update(s) on who can supply a crated Zetec?

I'd appreciate any help.

thanks -Dave

'91 Weekender w/FAS Conversion
SyncroButter
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2019 10:07 am    Post subject: Re: Are crated Zetec engines available anywhere? Reply with quote

thatguydave wrote:
Hi All -

I am considering a Bostig.. and don't want to buy a used motor.

Has there been any update(s) on who can supply a crated Zetec?

I'd appreciate any help.

thanks -Dave

Dave, I would not be shy about getting a used Zetec engine. While I would not kick a crate engine out of bed if it were insanely cheap, I just don't think it is worth the money and it introduces a new set of headaches in terms of sourcing some of the parts needed to "dress" the crate engine. I would also advise *against* buying one that is re-manufactured/re-built.

They are very robust engines and go forever, and there are a TON of them out there so just be discerning about which one you buy... mostly you should pay attention to mileage, water or corrosion in the plug gallery, and data on end-play if that is available. Bostig themselves have a handy "call sheet" in their manual about the questions to ask on the phone when buying from a salvage yard, and also have great advice about how to inspect the engine once it arrives (and what to do if something is wrong).

FWIW I got my engine (3 years ago) used on Craigslist for I believe $250 with around 60k miles on it. It came fully "dressed" with all of the peripherals etc (which is not something you can say about a crate engine).
JudoJeff
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2019 12:39 pm    Post subject: Re: Are crated Zetec engines available anywhere? Reply with quote

You don’t need a crate engine, honest. I’ve examined lots of these engines. You can check endplay and cams in a junkyard in about 5 minutes. If they won’t let you remove cam cover, use one of those inexpensive bore cameras.

If you buy a 50k engine, it’ll go another 150k! If it does fail, buy another one and switch over all the parts. This is an under appreciated aspect of a Bostig conversion. VW engine’s are not as easy to service as the Zetecs. And parts are cheap and available everywhere.

Work can be done while engine stays in the van.
1986 Vanagon GL Westfalia Camper, Bostig Sold May 10, 2021
1999 Ford GTRV Westfalia camper (30% bigger Westy layout)
thatguydave
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2019 1:55 pm    Post subject: Re: Are crated Zetec engines available anywhere? Reply with quote

Thanks much , Guys. I'll go back to the Bostig website ..

BTW Grant, I'm in Tacoma.

TopBud
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2019 8:32 pm    Post subject: Re: Are crated Zetec engines available anywhere? Reply with quote

thatguydave-
I am in the same boat and have been researching engines. I have been using car-part and been looking in my geographical area. Basically within driving distance. I am now looking all over the country and there are lots of low milage engines all over the place. I just will have to call for shipping. Good luck.
thatguydave
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2019 9:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Are crated Zetec engines available anywhere? Reply with quote

Thanks, TopBud.
While I have some life left in my WBX, I'm like you- doing the research.
And I'll have it all shipped to me waay before it's needed. This will be the biggest project yet.

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: