Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

14 inch wheels?
Page: Previous  1, 2
Forum Index -> Kit Car/Fiberglass Buggy/356 Replica Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
wythac
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 02, 2017 10:10 am    Post subject: Re: 14 inch wheels? Reply with quote

Nice rims! Did you find or have those built locally? I looked around here for quite awhile before I sent my rear rims off to Stockton Wheel for modification, but that has been a long time.

Look forward to seeing how they look on your car when you get rubber on them.
EVfun
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 02, 2017 12:19 pm    Post subject: Re: 14 inch wheels? Reply with quote

I bought them just the way you see them. The seller lives in eastern WA but was coming over to this side over the weekend so I met him at a Starbucks just off I-90 and avoided shipping costs.
EVfun
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 09, 2017 1:21 pm    Post subject: Re: 14 inch wheels? Reply with quote

Here is a little tease. I have the rear wheels mounted and balanced, this is sitting in front of the existing wheel just to get a look. My plan for the front is P175/65R14 on the matching stock Bus front wheels.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

EVfun
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2019 2:27 pm    Post subject: Re: 14 inch wheels? Reply with quote

I finally got around to actually mounting my wheels on the Buggy. It sat in the garage all last summer, lacking an engine and getting a transaxle swap, brake work, hydraulic clutch and a gas tank (complete with fuel gauge sender) installed. I figured this was a good place to post it so anyone else thinking about 14 inch wheels will find it in a search.

Front are stock 14 inch Bus wheels with P175/65R14 tires.
Rear are 8 inch wide wheels with 14 inch Bus centers running P225/70R14 tires.
I added the black lug bolt caps used on late Bug sport wheels to black out the lug bolts.
joescoolcustoms
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2019 2:50 pm    Post subject: Re: 14 inch wheels? Reply with quote

That looks good!

Everyone is gifted. Some just do not open the package.

Looks like it was painted with a live chicken,polished with a brick and buffed with a pine cone
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
oprn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2019 5:49 am    Post subject: Re: 14 inch wheels? Reply with quote

It does so!

I am still running the 14" on mine even with the bigger engne but dropped the front down for a better stance. A bit too low as the ride is pretty harsh now!

EVfun
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2019 1:13 pm    Post subject: Re: 14 inch wheels? Reply with quote

Those 14 inch front tires really let the front of your buggy down Oprn and give it a great street machine look. My Buggy will be coming down some, the engine will lower the back and then I will need to move the front down about the same amount because I like the rake. One thing is clear, the Bus 14 inch wheels will increase the steering radius. The tire hits the upper trailing arm before the current steering stop. I got the front tire under the fender without narrowing the beam, not common on the Berry Mini-T.

A stock Bug wheel is 4 inches wide and offset 33mm inboard from being centered on the drum face (ET+33.)
The Bus wheel is 5 inches wide and offset inboard 48mm (ET+48.)
The front chrome wheels I was running where 15x5 ET+12.

andygere
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2019 3:09 pm    Post subject: Re: 14 inch wheels? Reply with quote

Those 14’s look great. I am a big fan of how deep dish stock style wheels look with domed VW hubcaps, bet it would look great on yours.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Kit Car/Fiberglass Buggy/356 Replica All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: