Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Fuel Gauge and Turn Signals Stopped Working
Forum Index -> Type 3 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Agarden7
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 16, 2017 10:54 am    Post subject: Fuel Gauge and Turn Signals Stopped Working Reply with quote

Hey guys, Ive searched for everything related but couldn't find my same problem. 1967 Square.

Two nights ago, I lost my gas gauge and turn signals. The gas gauge needle dropped all the way down and is sitting on the housing essentially. Also my turn signals no longer flash in the dash or on the exterior of the car. The wipers work, headlights work and shows the indicator light in the same gauge. Hope this is a simple fix. Does anyone know what caused that? Thank you all so much!
KTPhil Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 16, 2017 12:14 pm    Post subject: Re: Fuel Gauge and Turn Signals Stopped Working Reply with quote

Probably the gauge case isn't grounding well. Some have a dedicated ground wire, I think, while others ground through the pair of leaf springs that hold it in the dash receptacle. I'd try adding a temporary jumper wire as a ground and see if that makes things work. If so, remove the gauge and work up a permanent ground wire.
Bobnotch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 16, 2017 12:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Fuel Gauge and Turn Signals Stopped Working Reply with quote

It's possible that the black wire from the back of the unit came off the fuse box.
64 T-34 Ghia...aka Wolfie, under construction... http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=412120
Tram wrote:
"Friends are God's way of apologizing for relatives."
Tram wrote:
People keep confusing "restored" and "restroyed".
sjbartnik
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 17, 2017 8:25 am    Post subject: Re: Fuel Gauge and Turn Signals Stopped Working Reply with quote

I suspect bob is on the right track but if what he said is the case, then also the oil and generator lights wouldn't be working either.
KTPhil Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 17, 2017 11:07 am    Post subject: Re: Fuel Gauge and Turn Signals Stopped Working Reply with quote

sjbartnik wrote:
I suspect bob is on the right track but if what he said is the case, then also the oil and generator lights wouldn't be working either.

Without studying the diagram more carefully, it may be possible for some circuits (bulbs, gauge) to find ground through the filaments of other bulbs that are not grounding correctly, sort of like the rear light assemblies on the fenders.

But I'd try the temporary ground jumper first and see what happens.
blues90
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 17, 2017 11:22 am    Post subject: Re: Fuel Gauge and Turn Signals Stopped Working Reply with quote

I only have a Bentley. Latest wiring is 68 .

If it was sudden and everything worked before you are going to need to find the grounds and power that supply those circuits . Check at the fuse box just to see if any connectors look suspect . The bulbs in the fuel gauge housing don't draw much current , the gauge and turn lights do.

I'd check the fuse box , drop it down and take a look . The fuses at the hot side with the fuse out are before the fuse and some are bridged where two to three fuses get power from the same source then the fused side goes to each fused component . If for any reason there is an issue with the fuse box it can cause a sudden loss.

If you have a wiring diagram for a 67 it should show which fuses bridge.

If it were a ground I can't see it affecting all the outside turn lamps, most of those grounds are near each lamp .

My advice is disconnect the battery and drop the fuse box and have a good look. It's at least a starting point.
sjbartnik
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 17, 2017 12:16 pm    Post subject: Re: Fuel Gauge and Turn Signals Stopped Working Reply with quote

KTPhil wrote:

Without studying the diagram more carefully, it may be possible for some circuits (bulbs, gauge) to find ground through the filaments of other bulbs that are not grounding correctly, sort of like the rear light assemblies on the fenders.

But I'd try the temporary ground jumper first and see what happens.

I agree with that; the only problem I see with that theory in this case is that there is only one power supply to that pod - a single black wire from fuse box that, via internal bus, powers the oil light, generator light, turn signal light, and fuel gauge.

The only things in there that have separate power sources are the high beam warning light (which works - powered by a tie in to one of the wires that runs to one of the high beam filaments) and the parking light warning light (powered via a lead from the headlight switch).

On re-reading OP's post, I caught a detail I missed the first time - turn signals no longer work (not just the indicator) so I think there is more going on here. The turn signals would still work just fine even if the power feed to the fuel gauge pod was cut.

Looking at the diagram, it's worth noting that the power to the flasher relay comes off the same fuse in the fuse box as does the power feed to the fuel gauge pod. The difference is that the flasher power comes out after the fuse while the fuel gauge feed comes out before the fuse (i.e. power to the fuel gauge pod is not fused).

Might be time to pull the fuse box down and see what's going on around fuse 9.

OP can you clarify more what works and what doesn't?

Do the emergency flashers work? (uses same flasher relay but has a separate power source)
Do the oil & gen lights work?
sqbk1971
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 17, 2017 8:35 pm    Post subject: Re: Fuel Gauge and Turn Signals Stopped Working Reply with quote

Check for a blown fuse.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Type 3 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: