Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

72 Super Full Resto
Forum Index -> Reader's Rides Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
SLOBTL
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 16, 2017 10:47 pm    Post subject: 72 Super Full Resto Reply with quote

Hi all, just wanted to share my build and hope to get some advice along the way from the VW community here.

I'm from Australia and I've got a 72 Super Beetle which I'm in the process of restoring.

I've always been into cars, particularly Japanese sports cars, but i've also always wanted to have something old school to tinker with.

I purchased this 72 Super in Feb 2017, very cheap. it was already mostly disassembled, luckily for me it had next to no rust as the usual spots looked like they've already been fixed in the past by a previous owner.

So far i've brought it back to the bare shell and have just picked it up from sandblasting... finally i can look at putting it all together again!
SLOBTL
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 16, 2017 10:48 pm    Post subject: Re: 72 Super Full Resto Reply with quote

Here it is the day i picked it up...

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

The car was mostly complete, engine, trans, front/rear guards... although apparently either the front or the rear dont fit for some reason? This will need investigation at some point.

It was missing it's front seats and a couple of other small items.

I got the car home and started having a better look at it...

It wasn't long before i found some old crappy front seats from a guy selling them online, i was always going to have the interior re-trimmed so i picked these up for a bargain.

Last edited by SLOBTL on Mon Nov 20, 2017 1:23 am; edited 1 time in total
SLOBTL
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 16, 2017 11:02 pm    Post subject: Re: 72 Super Full Resto Reply with quote

I started bringing the paint work back to bare metal myself. It was interesting to see this car has had a few paint jobs in the past.

However, it wasn't long before i gave up on stripping the paint myself. I've tried using an angle grinder and then paint stripper, but it was taking way too long and i'd be sitting there for years if i continued with that method. I thought i'd just bite the bullet and pay to have it sandblasted and etch primed professionally.

To do that though, i had to strip it bare.

Last edited by SLOBTL on Mon Nov 20, 2017 1:23 am; edited 1 time in total
SLOBTL
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 16, 2017 11:05 pm    Post subject: Re: 72 Super Full Resto Reply with quote

Over the course of about a week, my friend and i took it apart completely.

Last edited by SLOBTL on Mon Nov 20, 2017 1:24 am; edited 1 time in total
SLOBTL
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 16, 2017 11:12 pm    Post subject: Re: 72 Super Full Resto Reply with quote

And a week later it was back!

Last edited by SLOBTL on Mon Nov 20, 2017 1:24 am; edited 1 time in total
SLOBTL
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 16, 2017 11:16 pm    Post subject: Re: 72 Super Full Resto Reply with quote

Finally, it was time for the good stuff!

I jumped straight online and ordered Top Line MAXX Struts for the front and a fresh new struts for the rear.

My plan is to use wide wheels front/rear and in order to make that work, i had to go for the Top Line kit. That's currently on it's way to me from the USA.

I'm also looking into purchasing a rear disc break setup... so far i've been recommended an EMPI kit, however the retailer is trying to figure out if it will be possible for me to have the blank EMPI rotors drilled to 4x100.

Has anybody had theirs drilled to this pattern, if so, any issues?
67ctbug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 17, 2017 5:56 am    Post subject: Re: 72 Super Full Resto Reply with quote

I avoid EMPI at all costs.... they are not what they used to be.
'63 Ragtop
'73 914
'73 Dodge W200
'72 Dodge Wrecker
Go Cubs!
World Series Champions 2016
KentPS wrote:
...or the PO envied the terrorists' bus in "Back to the Future". Laughing

mukluk wrote:
He's fine, just waiting for the dragon in winklepickers to move out of his lane.
EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Fri Nov 17, 2017 9:21 am    Post subject: Re: 72 Super Full Resto Reply with quote

None of your photos work due to a Photobucket message, please post them on this site instead.
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
SLOBTL
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 20, 2017 1:18 am    Post subject: Re: 72 Super Full Resto Reply with quote

EverettB wrote:
None of your photos work due to a Photobucket message, please post them on this site instead.

yeah i just noticed that, how annoying. they worked when i put them up.
SLOBTL
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 20, 2017 1:29 am    Post subject: Re: 72 Super Full Resto Reply with quote

67ctbug wrote:

How come? What's changed? Is there another manufacturer i could use?

The biggest issue I'm having is finding a retailer in Australia who will actually return a phone call or email.
Buggeee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 21, 2017 4:32 pm    Post subject: Re: 72 Super Full Resto Reply with quote

Super Duper 72 Super!!!!

That shell turned out great! What a time saver that service was for you. Smile. I made a mess of my driveway with gallons and gallons of paint stripper and a power washer.

I've found a full Topline lowering struts kit on mine from the prior owner and they are great. I called over there with some questions and they spent time on the phone with me explaining how they are put together and what tools to use and stuff like that. Good customer service if you ask me.

I got the same car but your steering wheel is on the wrong side lol. I'll look forward to your build have fun and good luck!!!
SnowDaySyncro wrote:
Every setback is an opportunity to learn stuff and to buy new tools.
SLOBTL
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 26, 2017 7:43 pm    Post subject: Re: 72 Super Full Resto Reply with quote

Just got the suspension shipped in.

Topline MAXX kit with new shocks all round and a floor/body gasket.

Looking forward to putting this in!

67ctbug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 26, 2017 8:17 pm    Post subject: Re: 72 Super Full Resto Reply with quote

SLOBTL wrote:
67ctbug wrote:

How come? What's changed? Is there another manufacturer i could use?

The biggest issue I'm having is finding a retailer in Australia who will actually return a phone call or email.

It's just gone to junk. Nothing is really quality. I buy all my body parts from MTMFG, but they're in the US, I don't know about Australia. I haven't done engine work yet, so I can't comment on any engine manufacturers.
'63 Ragtop
'73 914
'73 Dodge W200
'72 Dodge Wrecker
Go Cubs!
World Series Champions 2016
KentPS wrote:
...or the PO envied the terrorists' bus in "Back to the Future". Laughing

mukluk wrote:
He's fine, just waiting for the dragon in winklepickers to move out of his lane.
SLOBTL
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 26, 2017 10:45 pm    Post subject: Re: 72 Super Full Resto Reply with quote

67ctbug wrote:

It's just gone to junk. Nothing is really quality. I buy all my body parts from MTMFG, but they're in the US, I don't know about Australia. I haven't done engine work yet, so I can't comment on any engine manufacturers.

Unfortunately i don't think we have the same type of resources down here... i contacted 3 retailers of brake discs, only one even bothered to get back to me.

I did ask Topline about disc brake kits, but shipping is way too expensive because of the weight.
SLOBTL
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2018 4:29 pm    Post subject: Re: 72 Super Full Resto Reply with quote

I've been chipping away slowly, decided to put the car back together after applying POR 15 to the floor

also started on putting the front end back together.
Big difference between the Topline Maxx Strut and the standard McPherson Strut... the topline can drop another 2 or 3 notches

Finally back in one piece! i'm waiting to get the rear disc brake kit, i've got blank rotors for front and rear, looking forward to getting all that complete so i can put the car on wheels and move it around!
Buggeee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 28, 2018 6:24 pm    Post subject: Re: 72 Super Full Resto Reply with quote

Wow seeing the stock strut and the topline side by side really makes a dfference. The car is looking good. Very motivating to see it coming back together. Cool
SnowDaySyncro wrote:
SLOBTL
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2018 5:54 pm    Post subject: Re: 72 Super Full Resto Reply with quote

Been a while since I posted, got a bunch of updates to this build.

So i went and purchased some wheels, i wanted to keep a bit of vintage style, but i also wanted a modern fitment. I purchased blank rotors and had them drilled to 4x100 to open up a number of wheel options for myself.

I was a little bit hesitant to go the size i went, but i just figured i'll make it work if any issues arise.

I went 16x9 on the rear and 16x8 on the front, not having any clearance issues with brakes front and rear and i'm not scraping anything at full lock, however i haven't tried putting the front bumpers on yet!

I also fitted the rear disc brakes, i was told it was overkill for an old beetle, but i prefer disc over drum.

I went overseas for a month or so and while overseas i checked the facebook market place. A guy local to me had put up old school bucket seats which he had removed out of his Porsche 912 as he wanted to change them the original seats, i grabbed a bargain off this guy. They're in great condition, however i plan on retrimming them anyway and this was exactly the style i wanted to go with, so it worked out great for me.

So i began stripping down my engine for it's rebuild. It doesn't appear it has any major issues other than a little bit of an oil leak. Certainly needed a clean and was probably due for a rebuild to make it nice and strong again. I've been considering what i could do to increase the power slightly as it's only a 1300cc, and out of no where i saw an add for a complete supercharger kit to suit. A bit of an impulse buy i must say, but i'm pretty excited that i've purchased this and can now rebuild the engine to suit the charger. can't wait to see how this sounds and looks when it's done!

More to come!
vwuberalles
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2018 6:15 am    Post subject: Re: 72 Super Full Resto Reply with quote

Looking good! I love the wheels.
1973 Superbeetle: 1st car, owned since age 12. Update thread --> https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=9919140#9919140
1967 Kombi: Owned since age 17, Dad's retirement project.
1966 Beetle: My new project. (SOLD) Build thread--> https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=678040
Buggeee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2018 10:01 am    Post subject: Re: 72 Super Full Resto Reply with quote

SLOBTL wrote:

Wow!!! Very Happy
SnowDaySyncro wrote:
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Reader's Rides All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: