Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

spring compressors
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
This page may contain links to eBay where the site receives compensation.
llilibel03
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 17, 2017 3:30 pm    Post subject: spring compressors Reply with quote

Will these do to work on vanagons?

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
theadventureneverends
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 17, 2017 4:37 pm    Post subject: Re: spring compressors Reply with quote

I used the Harbor Freight of that style to put GW lift springs on my 91 Syncro Westfalia without issue.
shagginwagon83
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2019 7:37 am    Post subject: Re: spring compressors Reply with quote

I'm about to invest in a set of spring compressors - instead of renting a crappy set.

What do you guys think about these

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00A8FNRDY/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER&psc=1
uberaudi
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2019 7:50 am    Post subject: Re: spring compressors Reply with quote

I have a set of that style that I bought from Napa years ago and have installed many springs with...they work fine. Sometimes though, especially with lift springs, you just run out of room to use that type. This style:
https://www.amazon.com/8MILELAKE-Macpherson-Spring...compressor
Is a lot more low profile and can make your life much easier.
shagginwagon83
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2019 7:58 am    Post subject: Re: spring compressors Reply with quote

uberaudi wrote:
I have a set of that style that I bought from Napa years ago and have installed many springs with...they work fine. Sometimes though, especially with lift springs, you just run out of room to use that type. This style:
https://www.amazon.com/8MILELAKE-Macpherson-Spring...compressor
Is a lot more low profile and can make your life much easier.

My mind is telling me yes, but my wallet is telling me noooo.

Nah, thanks. I'd rather invest in a quality, safer set. Thanks uberaudi!!
Zeitgeist 13
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2019 8:09 am    Post subject: Re: spring compressors Reply with quote

For 2WD, I prefer these MB type of compressors for the front springs.

Mine are expensive German tools, but eBay has some cheap knock-offs.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Coil-Spring-Compressor-St...SwArxbQD2r

'89 Bluestar ALH w/12mm Waldo pump, PP764 and GT2052
'01 Weekender --> full camper
y u rune klassik?
shagginwagon83
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2019 8:11 am    Post subject: Re: spring compressors Reply with quote

Will that ebay kit work for the rear too?
Zeitgeist 13
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2019 8:14 am    Post subject: Re: spring compressors Reply with quote

There's no need to use a compressor on the rears. Just seat the spring and use a floor jack to compress the control arm

'89 Bluestar ALH w/12mm Waldo pump, PP764 and GT2052
'01 Weekender --> full camper
y u rune klassik?
shagginwagon83
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2019 8:21 am    Post subject: Re: spring compressors Reply with quote

Zeitgeist 13 wrote:
There's no need to use a compressor on the rears. Just seat the spring and use a floor jack to compress the control arm

Perfect! Thank you!
davevickery
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2019 8:23 am    Post subject: Re: spring compressors Reply with quote

I have the clam style strut compressor as posted above. Here is a set on ebay for a little less. ($85 shipped which is pretty great) I paid $100 and have used mine about 6 times and they are very sturdy.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/MacPherson-Interchangeabl...ctupt=true

I fooled around with the free ones from autozone and found them frustrating and probably a little dangerous. There might be other cheap styles that would work, but the clam shell style definitely work great. The problem with the autozone style is finding a place to attach them where you can get enough turns without hitting something and getting a good hold on the springs on opposite sides so they don't want to slip off.
drj434343
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2019 8:30 am    Post subject: Re: spring compressors Reply with quote

llilibel03 wrote:

Using that style compressor is the only time I ever had a catastrophic failure while compressing springs. It fully let go, shot me in the face and split a hole in my chin. I'm lucky the damage was not worse.

I later determined that the single hook end (by the bolt head) has a tendency to want to twist off the spring coil in whatever direction you are currently turning the bolt head (tightening or loosening). This tendency is made worse if the threads aren't well greased.

Unknown to me at the time, my tightening motion twisted the hook right off the coil. Only took a millisecond.

After changing my pants, I bought the McPherson strut compressor set and never looked back. I would maybe use the classic style again if both ends had DOUBLE hooks, but there is still the challenge of making sure the pair is on exactly opposite sides of the spring. If one begins to drift around while tightening, they can both suddenly slip to one side, bowing out a partially compressed spring and potentially shooting it out.
?Waldo?
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2019 8:48 am    Post subject: Re: spring compressors Reply with quote

llilibel03 wrote:

I'm going to second what was just said. I actually have a set of those and they are scary. When the spring is compressed, they want to walk to be on the same side and shoot the spring out with deadly force. I also noticed the mentioned tendency of the single hook to rotate when the bolt is tightened/loosened. I added two greased washers between each bolt head and the single hooks. Also, whenever I have used them, I have used 4 exhaust clamps; one around both the spring and compressor at each of the hooks that press against the spring, essentially ensuring that the spring stays with the hook. That has saved me on one occasion where the two threaded rods popped to the same side and the spring popped out the other side in a loop. Quite frightening. Without the added exhaust clamps... yipes! Quite literally, someone could be killed. Shocked

After typing that all up, I think I'll go purchase one of the safer versions. Very Happy
llilibel03
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2019 9:07 am    Post subject: Re: spring compressors Reply with quote

I ended up using ones that look like this-

My local FLAPS provides them for free so it was not necessary to buy them. To make sure they were properly rated I told the guy I had a full size pick up. They worked fine although it was time consuming cranking them down. No matter what compressors you use I would say it's still scary having all that stored energy around.

As far as the back just dropping out, that was true, but I found the springs would not go back in with the extra spacers I added ( to corrrect westy sag ) without disconnecting the CV joint.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
benandmj
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2019 9:19 am    Post subject: Re: spring compressors Reply with quote

I'm currently in the middle of Springapalooza at my house, swapping the springs on my Syncro front and rear multiple time. I have a new set of 4 GoWesty progressive 2" lift springs which have almost a full inch less lift than the old set of identical springs I just pulled.... Trying Schwenks next...that's for another thread I guess....

I bought these earlier this year and have been more than happy.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01DP2CDJU/ref=p...&psc=1
westina
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2019 9:56 am    Post subject: Re: spring compressors Reply with quote

Great timing. Just removed the front shock&spring assembly. After removing everything such as lover control arm etc, loosen the bolt that sits on top of the shock(under the black plactic nut cover) and the assembly just popped once the nut removed. Should i have used a compressor, which i have actually somewhere around? And again when i install it back is it necessary to use one?
Igeo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2019 11:09 am    Post subject: Re: spring compressors Reply with quote

I think the compressor shown by Zeitgeist 13 is the best and safest. I just installed Schwenks on my 2WD using the threaded external type one can rent from autozone. It uses a cast fork that straddles one of the coils near the bottom. I got it done, but I tried to make sure that if the thing let go, that my head wouldn't be in the way.
pushkick
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2019 11:23 am    Post subject: Re: spring compressors Reply with quote

what about these compressors? are they easy to use/safe

1990 vw automatic camper
Igeo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2019 11:28 am    Post subject: Re: spring compressors Reply with quote

I could not get the one in the above post to work for me.
This is the Autozone compressor.

MsTaboo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2019 12:41 pm    Post subject: Re: spring compressors Reply with quote

pushkick wrote:
what about these compressors? are they easy to use/safe

They're ok, but not great. It's important to get them in just the right position so they don't interfere with the shock mounts and still compress the springs enough.

I would like to try a set of those horseshoe shaped type. As long as they didn't break it seems there would be easier clearance.

The information age has morphed into the age of disinformation and willful ignorance. Agnotology!
Help the fight against Truth Decay.
Defend democracy, support Ukraine.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: