Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

UCA bolt stuck - eccentric washers seized
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
spatiald
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2019 9:17 pm    Post subject: UCA bolt stuck - eccentric washers seized Reply with quote

I saw and read the posts about others having a stuck upper control arm bolt and so heeded their advice to take the sawzall to it.

I got the cuts made and the arm off but found the center of the bolt shaft still stuck. I tried to pry out the washers but they weren't going anywhere. I had a small amount of bolt sticking out on the left side where the was room to swing a hammer and with some solid wacks got the washer to budge and the bolt slid free.

Has anyone else seen the eccentric washers seize to the mating surface?

I wire brushed the whole area and am contemplating what to apply to prevent this from happening next time. Plenty of grease on the bolt? Anti seize on the washer?

I have photos but can figure out how to get them attached here.

If you couldn't tell I'm pretty new to all this and am having plenty of fun biting off more than I can chew. Just wanted to put this out for others to benefit from the wisdom of the masses and hear everyone's thoughts.

Thanks,
T3 Pilot
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2019 9:47 pm    Post subject: Re: UCA bolt stuck - eccentric washers seized Reply with quote

https://www.gowesty.com/product/control-arm-bushings/24610/eccentric-washer-4-0mm-

The most important part in every vehicle is the nut behind the wheel......
Mikesarge
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2019 10:41 pm    Post subject: Re: UCA bolt stuck - eccentric washers seized Reply with quote

My washers were starting to rust to the bolt and it was a PITA to get the bolts out. heat followed by the air hammer did the trick for me. Spent some time with emory cloth to clean it up and put a fair amount of anti-seize on everything on re-assembly.
spatiald
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2019 9:02 am    Post subject: Re: UCA bolt stuck - eccentric washers seized Reply with quote

Thanks for these responses. I already got the replacement (non-stainless) washers so I'll be applying the anti seize as well. Definite PITA. This front end work is living up to its reputation. Smile
shagginwagon83
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2019 9:08 am    Post subject: Re: UCA bolt stuck - eccentric washers seized Reply with quote

FYI OP - there are two different washer sizes out there. Also two different 'UCA bolts'. My 83.5 had the early style bolt. I had to upgrade to a later style bolt for my Burley UCA
Mikesarge
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2019 3:44 pm    Post subject: Re: UCA bolt stuck - eccentric washers seized Reply with quote

spatiald wrote:
Thanks for these responses. I already got the replacement (non-stainless) washers so I'll be applying the anti seize as well. Definite PITA. This front end work is living up to its reputation. Smile

I purchased all new poly bushings for everything up front, did the steering rack when I didn't have a garage and had to do them in the street, easy peasy. Got a garage and got into the UCA bushings, tie rod ends, upper ball joiints, and every single thing was rusted together requiring heat to extract. I got the top part of it put back together in time for a big trip, huge difference. I'm still waiting to get to the radius rod and LCA bushings, dreading the lower ball joint adapter bolts (syncro), which are difficult on the cleanest vehicles.

godspeed!
spatiald
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2019 12:59 pm    Post subject: Re: UCA bolt stuck - eccentric washers seized Reply with quote

Crap. Well I just ordered the upper control arm bolt from Van Cafe. It didn't mention there being two different sizes. Hopefully it works. I guess I'll measure the size of the eccentric washers too just to make sure I got the right ones. Thanks for the tips!
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: