Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Getting hot in traffic with new motor and cooling system
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dgnelli
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 22, 2017 8:29 am    Post subject: Getting hot in traffic with new motor and cooling system Reply with quote

I have a 1991 2.1 Vanagon. I had a new motor installed, new radiator, new water pump and a new thermostat. When I’m sitting with the car idoling and the air conditioner on, within 5 mins the 3rd stage fan comes on and it’s only 80degs outside. What could be causing this with no load on motor and it’s not hot outside.
mikemtnbike
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 22, 2017 8:30 am    Post subject: Re: Getting hot in traffic with new motor and cooling system Reply with quote

The fan comes on as part of the AC system. Not for sure, but most likely normal operating conditions are occurring. Is it actually showing as running hot?
[email protected]
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 22, 2017 8:44 am    Post subject: Re: Getting hot in traffic with new motor and cooling system Reply with quote

Where is the neddle? As Mike stated the fan comes on with AC. Needle should be right around the LED under normal conditions. Try to turn off AC and fan should go off.
Sodo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 22, 2017 8:49 am    Post subject: Re: Getting hot in traffic with new motor and cooling system Reply with quote

Have you driven it "fast" yet?
Maybe cooling system needs to be 'bled'?

'90 Westy EJ25, 2Peloquins, 3knobs, pressure-oiled GT mainshaft, filtered, cooled gearbox
'87 Tintop w 47k 53k, '12 SmallCar EJ25, cooled filtered gearbox
....KTMs, GasGas, SPOT mtb
danfromsyr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 22, 2017 8:53 am    Post subject: Re: Getting hot in traffic with new motor and cooling system Reply with quote

you may need a new fan speed resistor.

I needed one for mine..

http://www.van-cafe.com/aftermarket-fan-resistor-for-vanagon-with-ac-on-sp

Quote:
Very nice aftermarket version of the Vanagon fan resistor WITH the correct plug (no splicing!). Fits all vans 86 thru 91 with A/C.This fan resistor sits behind the driver's headlight assembly. This is most likely the culprit if the radiator fan comes on only at high speed. How to diagnose? Unplug the connector at the fan switch on the radiator. Connect the two outer poles and the high speed fan will come on. Connect the center pole to each of the outer poles (one at a time) and the low speed should come on in one of those pairings (nothing will happen in the other pairing). If the fan does operate as described with these tests, then barring a broken wire between the units, this resistor unit is bad. If the fan did not come on as described in these tests, then you must dig deeper

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
MarkWard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 22, 2017 8:53 am    Post subject: Re: Getting hot in traffic with new motor and cooling system Reply with quote

Dgnelli wrote:
I have a 1991 2.1 Vanagon. I had a new motor installed, new radiator, new water pump and a new thermostat. When I’m sitting with the car idoling and the air conditioner on, within 5 mins the 3rd stage fan comes on and it’s only 80degs outside. What could be causing this with no load on motor and it’s not hot outside.

Hello, welcome to the Samba. Normal function with the air on I recall is when the AC is turned on, radiator fan should run on low always. When the AC pressure gets to a certain point, radiator fan speeds up to medium. If the fan is not able to maintain the coolant temp, then the radiator fan switch turns the fan on high and at the same time disables the AC compressor.

Are you sure you are hearing high and not medium? Also, the AC condenser does add some heat in front of the radiator that is certainly hotter than ambient of 80 degrees.
mikemtnbike
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 22, 2017 8:58 am    Post subject: Re: Getting hot in traffic with new motor and cooling system Reply with quote

I like dan's suggestion- your fan is turning on as part of AC normal operations, but only at the high speed because need new resistor. And van-café in their usual helpful manner even provides the test to determine if so or not...
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 22, 2017 9:03 am    Post subject: Re: Getting hot in traffic with new motor and cooling system Reply with quote

The engine thermostat and the fan switch need to be matched. Use a higher temperature than stock thermostat combined with a lower temperature than stock fan switch and the fan will run on high much of the time.
Ahwahnee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 22, 2017 9:15 am    Post subject: Re: Getting hot in traffic with new motor and cooling system Reply with quote

I'll add that I believe it is normal for a freshly rebuilt engine to run a bit hotter until past break-in. Not overheating, just hotter (there is a difference).
0to60in6min
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 22, 2017 10:15 am    Post subject: Re: Getting hot in traffic with new motor and cooling system Reply with quote

in general a new or rebuilt engine runs a tad hotter during breaking in period.
Dgnelli
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 22, 2017 3:51 pm    Post subject: Re: Getting hot in traffic with new motor and cooling system Reply with quote

The gauge is at the tiny dot before the last line just past 3/4 When the 3rd stage fan comes. This shouldn’t happen with no load and it’s not hot out, right? I know I wouldn’t be able to drive it on a 100deg day with the air on. The new motor has about 500miles on it.
Thank you all for your help!
Howesight
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 22, 2017 4:04 pm    Post subject: Re: Getting hot in traffic with new motor and cooling system Reply with quote

There are really only 4 things that could cause the problems you describe:

1. The radiator needs to be bled of trapped air. This is, by far, the most likely reason.
2. The medium-speed portion of the fan-speed resistor has failed;
3. The radiator fan switch has partly failed or been disconnected;
4. The wiring on the rad fan switch has failed.
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 22, 2017 4:24 pm    Post subject: Re: Getting hot in traffic with new motor and cooling system Reply with quote

An IR gun is a great tool and isn't that expensive to buy. I have a cheap General brand unit and it has been working well for many years at this point in time. Very handy when trying to figure out what is happening with your cooling system.
LotharB
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 22, 2017 4:34 pm    Post subject: Re: Getting hot in traffic with new motor and cooling system Reply with quote

Try the easy stuff first. With all the work you had done with the cooling system, if the radiator is not bled, it only fills up about 50 to 60%.

The Bentley manual even states you should have the front of the vehicle raised a couple of feet to make sure all the air is out of the coolant lines.

Essentially, you raise up the front of the car. Remove the upper grill. The van should be warmed up for best results. Have someone rev up the engine and hold it at about 2.5 to 3K RPMs. then loosen the purge plug, upper passenger side of the radiator. do not take it off. You should see bubbles and coolant come out. When its just coolant coming out with no more bubbles, tighten the nut back up and you are done. you might have to add more coolant after this procedure.

Good luck.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
AZ Landshaper
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 22, 2017 5:43 pm    Post subject: Re: Getting hot in traffic with new motor and cooling system Reply with quote

Are your coolant lines entering and exiting the radiator correctly. I mistakenly reversed them and had a hot running engine.

-------------------------------------------------------
85 Weekender w/ EJ22
Previously
64, 71, 72, 73, 76, 81, 84, 85 & 87 Campmobiles and Westfalias
and a 67 bug.
Dgnelli
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 22, 2017 8:38 pm    Post subject: Re: Getting hot in traffic with new motor and cooling system Reply with quote

The medium fan goes on and off when the ac cycles. I’ve bleed the lines with the front up very high and am pretty sure I got all of the air out. The only thing that doesn’t seem normal is the ac condenser gets really hot to the touch. Is that normal? Could the heat from that cause the problem?
Dgnelli
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 22, 2017 8:43 pm    Post subject: Re: Getting hot in traffic with new motor and cooling system Reply with quote

I just had my ac running and listened to the fan. Then I turn off the ac and waited for the fan to come on when it warmed up. The fan speed seemed the same. Shouldn’t the fan when the ac is on be stronger?
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 22, 2017 9:50 pm    Post subject: Re: Getting hot in traffic with new motor and cooling system Reply with quote

The AC should turn the fan on to the middle speed of three. Not all that different in sound than the lower speed. High speed is a roar.
[email protected]
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 23, 2017 7:18 am    Post subject: Re: Getting hot in traffic with new motor and cooling system Reply with quote

Check for air. Get engine hot open bleeder by radiator. You should hear hissing, when fluid comes out close. Does your heater work? Could be that your thermistat is not opening or as someone stated your hoses are attached backward to the radiator. I would make sire that there is no air in the system first, then orientation of hoses then thermostat. Something could be wrong with fan switch but sounds like you are gettinf to hot regardless. My fan only turn on low when driving hard at low speed in hot weather. Dont use AC so you are removing that variable.
djkeev
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Nov 23, 2017 7:31 am    Post subject: Re: Getting hot in traffic with new motor and cooling system Reply with quote

Yes, A/C condensers get hot, that is why the exist, to dump refrigerant heat.

Dave

Ghia
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=392473

Vanagon
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=6315537#6315537

Beetle
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=482968&highlight=74+super+vert
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: