Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Advice on installing new windshield glass
Forum Index -> Split Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
thuestis
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 18, 2017 4:43 pm    Post subject: Advice on installing new windshield glass Reply with quote

Guys,

Was hoping to get some advice or guidance on the installation of front windshield glass.

I was fortunate to recently source a set of NOS Sekurit glass for my 1960 bus. The windshield rubber on my bus is in excellent shape and would like to keep it. Let me also quickly say I plan to use a professional to install the Sekurit glass.

The current windshield glass is aftermarket. The symbol appears to be a FY AS1 M858. Don't really care if I crack this glass when removing it.

So my question. Once I have the old windshield glass out, can I safely get the Sekurit glass installed using the existing windshield rubber?

Any tips or advice are GREATLY appreciated!!

Tim
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Eric&Barb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 18, 2017 5:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Advice on installing new windshield glass Reply with quote

Sure. Just follow the directions in the workshop manual.
BarryL Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 18, 2017 7:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Advice on installing new windshield glass Reply with quote

thuestis wrote:
The windshield rubber on my bus is in excellent shape and would like to keep it....can I safely get the Sekurit glass installed using the existing windshield rubber?

Any tips or advice are GREATLY appreciated!!

Tim

If the glass is exactly the same thickness and the rubber is still supple it could be ok but rubber tends to find the subtle anomalies of the opening and the glass perimeter and thickness so it would be better to get the best new rubber you can.
Eric&Barb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 18, 2017 8:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Advice on installing new windshield glass Reply with quote

And new or used seal one really needs a sealant against body and glass.
Lind
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 18, 2017 9:25 pm    Post subject: Re: Advice on installing new windshield glass Reply with quote

sekurit AS2 glass is tempered, and of questionable legality and safety in the USA. Tempered glass shatters instead of cracking like laminated glass does.

I would never run tempered front glass.

Always replace the rubber window seals. They are cheap. Be sure that your windshield channel is clean and not rusty. I use butyl tape and they seal up really well.
VWoA literature and early dealership or distributor literature/pictures/information
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
hitest
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 18, 2017 9:54 pm    Post subject: Re: Advice on installing new windshield glass Reply with quote

Lind wrote:
sekurit AS2 glass is tempered, and of questionable legality and safety in the USA.

^^^ Which also (unfortunately) may explain why the NOS glass was obtainable.

I wonder what the nut looks like.

'62 L390 151, '62 L469 117, '63 L380 113, '64 L87 311, '65 L512 265, '65 L31 SO-42, '66 L360 251, '68 L30k 141, '71 L12 113, '74 ORG 181

FU#5
perello
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 19, 2017 1:19 am    Post subject: Re: Advice on installing new windshield glass Reply with quote

Lind wrote:

I would never run tempered front glass.

X2

I put modern laminated glass in mine and they printed thevsekurit logo for me Very Happy
parker007
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 19, 2017 1:22 am    Post subject: Re: Advice on installing new windshield glass Reply with quote

warm rubber first , makes huge difference.
thuestis
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 19, 2017 2:09 am    Post subject: Re: Advice on installing new windshield glass Reply with quote

Guys, Thanks for all the comments. Very helpful.

One last question. Who produces or provides the best windshield rubber?

Thanks
motofly196
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 19, 2017 12:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Advice on installing new windshield glass Reply with quote

I've had zero issues with Wolfsburg West windshield seals.
thuestis
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 19, 2017 12:35 pm    Post subject: Re: Advice on installing new windshield glass Reply with quote

Has anyone bought window rubber from Lane Russell?

They have have a German made set.

https://lanerussell.com/collections/rubber-seals/p...5754349064

Any feedback is appreciated!
EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Sun Nov 19, 2017 4:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Advice on installing new windshield glass Reply with quote

I wonder if those are from Vewib, in which case CIP1 (and others?) may sell their stuff too.

Example of ones from CIP1 with with molded corners, which I think are Vewib:
http://www2.cip1.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=C24-211-845-121-A
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
motofly196
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 19, 2017 4:42 pm    Post subject: Re: Advice on installing new windshield glass Reply with quote

Thanks for that link to CIP1, I've been looking for stationary glass "German pre molded corner" side glass for awhile now. Ronnie used to stock it, but didn't have them last time I needed them.

You might want to try the German window seals instead of Wolfsburg West ones...I bet they seal up better with molded corners.
thuestis
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 19, 2017 5:03 pm    Post subject: Re: Advice on installing new windshield glass Reply with quote

Everett. thanks for the tip on CIPI, but unfortunately they are out of the right side seal.

Any other suggestions?
BarryL Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 19, 2017 7:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Advice on installing new windshield glass Reply with quote

One specific molded side will work for both sides just as well.
cru62
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 19, 2017 8:38 pm    Post subject: Re: Advice on installing new windshield glass Reply with quote

BarryL wrote:

I'm pretty sure they are "bookmatched" meaning they are side-specific being that the windows are trapezoidal instead of parallelograms. I once bought a pair of molded German Safari rubber that turned out to be two drivers sides. Grrr......!

Jokes about German sausage are the wurst.

Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
BarryL Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 20, 2017 10:30 am    Post subject: Re: Advice on installing new windshield glass Reply with quote

cru62 wrote:
BarryL wrote:

I'm pretty sure they are "bookmatched" meaning they are side-specific being that the windows are trapezoidal instead of parallelograms. I once bought a pair of molded German Safari rubber that turned out to be two drivers sides. Grrr......!

They are bookmatched but both work on either side. I've done it forever. The dealer used to only keep a "B" for both sides. Safari I know nothing about.
BarryL Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 20, 2017 7:31 pm    Post subject: Re: Advice on installing new windshield glass Reply with quote

These are the best thing going in my opinion.
http://www.westcoastmetric.com/i-22966265-211-026.html
Clara Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 20, 2017 10:39 pm    Post subject: Re: Advice on installing new windshield glass Reply with quote

BarryL wrote:
cru62 wrote:
BarryL wrote:

They are bookmatched but both work on either side. I've done it forever. The dealer used to only keep a "B" for both sides. Safari I know nothing about.

I found the molded ones are sided. At least the ones I used were. I was not too happy with the one pair of new molded seals I bought, I did not like the shape so much.
I have not used NOS genuine VW windheilds seal much, but they seemed sided to me as well. But they are so rare, not much in play anymore.

Genuine VW safaris seals are most definitely sided. And they keep the windows from leaking the first year. Smile
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Split Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: