Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

When you drive up a mountain and your van breaks down
Page: 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
shagginwagon83
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 19, 2017 9:36 am    Post subject: When you drive up a mountain and your van breaks down Reply with quote

What kind of AAA package is this!?
Credit: IG-@vwdoka, @rene.freitag.photography

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Steve M.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 19, 2017 9:49 am    Post subject: Re: When you drive up a mountain and your van breaks down Reply with quote

Well that's a dam good AAA package!

Sign me up Edna!

There are seven days in a week. Someday is not one of them.
dkoesyncro
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 19, 2017 10:32 am    Post subject: Re: When you drive up a mountain and your van breaks down Reply with quote

My son showed me a YouTube video of this van prior to this happening. It looks as though it rolled onto it's side, it was a very straight. I'm curious as to the rest of this story?
SCP_Austin
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 19, 2017 10:51 am    Post subject: Re: When you drive up a mountain and your van breaks down Reply with quote

OMG. Very Happy
MsTaboo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 19, 2017 2:11 pm    Post subject: Re: When you drive up a mountain and your van breaks down Reply with quote

Now that's Vanagon devotion!

(Must have been one hell of a ride/slide down the hill!!)

The information age has morphed into the age of disinformation and willful ignorance. Agnotology!
Help the fight against Truth Decay.
Defend democracy, support Ukraine.
newt3
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 19, 2017 2:38 pm    Post subject: Re: When you drive up a mountain and your van breaks down Reply with quote

this guy postet at facebook 3 oder 4 day ago or so.
he spoke german so i guess he is from germany austria oder switzerland.

it happens in the Pyrenees.
he left the car. was some meters away and "suddenly" his car began to move (he guesses that it was a defect but hard to believe)

this nice car was freshly build up before his trip to spain.
so his dream was dieing in this moment.
maybe he builds it up again - we will se

--------------
he walked down to the guys of the local ski resort with their jeeps but they were not able to help hin. the position of his lost car was to dangerous, so he decided to organize it by heli.

would have been expensive but hey this car was his dream (and i guess leaving it in the mountains, just in nature is no legal option)
mikemtnbike
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 20, 2017 7:26 am    Post subject: Re: When you drive up a mountain and your van breaks down Reply with quote

Did he actually have to pay for it? Or was this in a protected land situation where the land manager was forced to assist d/t need to protect environment, not have what is basically a 4000 pound piece of litter up there?
joetiger Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 20, 2017 7:57 am    Post subject: Re: When you drive up a mountain and your van breaks down Reply with quote

The story on Facebook was that his E-brake failed.

'86 NAHT Vanagon GL Syncro/ supercharged ABA 2.0 "Pigpen"
'04 GTI 1.8T
'04 Golf R32

"get metaphysical with it. if it's simply a means to get to and from places, it will let you down. if it becomes your zen, it can't fail you." -dabaron

"Still, it's good to be afield."--VWagabond

Available Now! Vanagon to Louisiana--A Two-Lane Reckoning Through Past and Present

www.josephtrussell.com
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
dobryan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 20, 2017 9:32 am    Post subject: Re: When you drive up a mountain and your van breaks down Reply with quote

joetiger wrote:

Paging Sodo..... Wink

"To travel hopefully is a better thing than to arrive." Robert Louis Stevenson

MD>Canada>AK>WA>OR>CA>AZ>UT>WY>SD
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=620646

Building a bus for travel in Europe (euroBus)
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=695371

The Western Syncro build
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=746794
Jake de Villiers
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 20, 2017 10:03 am    Post subject: Re: When you drive up a mountain and your van breaks down Reply with quote

dobryan wrote:
joetiger wrote:

Paging Sodo..... Wink

LOL!!! Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy
http://sites.google.com/site/subyjake/mydixiedarlin%27
www.crescentbeachguitar.com
www.thebassspa.com
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
IdahoDoug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 20, 2017 10:19 am    Post subject: Re: When you drive up a mountain and your van breaks down Reply with quote

My question is why didn't he just drive it down? Some bent sheetmetal, luggage got rearranged and his ego got bruised. So, pull the plugs/injectors, crank out the oil/gas in the cylinders, restart and head down hill. Unless there's more to it where it slid somewhere with dangerous exposure below, etc. I see about 10 ropes hanging off it - perhaps these were used to attempt to right it, or if exposure to stabilize it till the helicopter arrived...dunno - details?
1987 2WD Wolfsburg Vanagon Weekender "Mango", two fully locked 80 Series LandCruisers. 2017 Subaru Outback boxer. 1990 Audi 90 Quattro 20V with rear locking differential, 1990 burgundy parts Vanagon. 1984 Porsche 944, 1988 Toyota Supra 5 speed targa, 2002 BMW 325iX, 1982 Toyota Sunrader
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 20, 2017 11:48 am    Post subject: Re: When you drive up a mountain and your van breaks down Reply with quote

A chock block would have been a far cheaper alternative. Crying or Very sad
MarkWard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 20, 2017 11:54 am    Post subject: Re: When you drive up a mountain and your van breaks down Reply with quote

Thankfully the internet was not around for many of my mistakes. Trying to remember the biggest mistake.
Mike Robinson
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 20, 2017 12:33 pm    Post subject: Re: When you drive up a mountain and your van breaks down Reply with quote

The helicopter extraction is one of the available options from BCAA.

It comes with the extreme touring package and is $5000 per year and includes two helicopter lifts and towing 200km or to the nearest garage and up to 2 gallons of fuel. But if it is classed as an RV because it has a sink you may have to pay an extra premium.

As if.

M
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 20, 2017 1:00 pm    Post subject: Re: When you drive up a mountain and your van breaks down Reply with quote

Mike Robinson wrote:
The helicopter extraction is one of the available options from BCAA.

It comes with the extreme touring package and is $5000 per year and includes two helicopter lifts and towing 200km or to the nearest garage and up to 2 gallons of fuel. But if it is classed as an RV because it has a sink you may have to pay an extra premium.

As if.

M

Supplying 2 gallons of free fuel is pretty much a joke compared to the cost of a helicopter lift. Two gallons of fuel wouldn't even get you to the nearest filling station in many places or even to the nearest paved road.
Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 20, 2017 2:07 pm    Post subject: Re: When you drive up a mountain and your van breaks down Reply with quote

Two gallons of fuel for the helicopter will get you to the nearest Bingo pretty quickly
newt3
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 20, 2017 2:21 pm    Post subject: Re: When you drive up a mountain and your van breaks down Reply with quote

https://www.facebook.com/permalink.php?story_fbid=1556118687810357&id=148315031924070
Sodo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 20, 2017 2:30 pm    Post subject: Re: When you drive up a mountain and your van breaks down Reply with quote

Jake de Villiers wrote:
dobryan wrote:
joetiger wrote:

Paging Sodo..... Wink

LOL!!! Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

Nobody paged !

Wildthings wrote:
A chock block would have been a far cheaper alternative. Crying or Very sad

Been using this for several years. Ever since I accepted the fact that my rear discs had no viable parking brake. But the clicker in the cab sounds just fine! Wink

Actually my brake has "detectable" friction now, but it's not "secure", not even close. You cannot rely on it. My F150 will skid the rear tires thats a real parking brake. My truck can park safely on a hill. You can set a baby stroller in front of my truck.

On FB did he say why his parking brake doesn't hold?

'90 Westy EJ25, 2Peloquins, 3knobs, pressure-oiled GT mainshaft, filtered, cooled gearbox
'87 Tintop w 47k 53k, '12 SmallCar EJ25, cooled filtered gearbox
....KTMs, GasGas, SPOT mtb
Jake de Villiers
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 20, 2017 2:48 pm    Post subject: Re: When you drive up a mountain and your van breaks down Reply with quote

As far as I can make out from the Facebook post, the van rolled some distance, spewing the owner's belongongs across the mountainside!

He referes to 170km/h winds and snow in the days before the chopper rescue and a whole day spent finding his gear. Shocked

I'm lucky to be old enough to have been taught never to rely on the parking brake - always leave it in first or reverse, depending!!! Cool
And I have the cleated wooden wheel chock that came with my H Van for backup.
http://sites.google.com/site/subyjake/mydixiedarlin%27
www.crescentbeachguitar.com
www.thebassspa.com
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 20, 2017 4:25 pm    Post subject: Re: When you drive up a mountain and your van breaks down Reply with quote

I launch boats with my car, and not using a chock on steep or marginal terrain is a guarantee to end up on YouTube
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to: